The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2018, 02:49 PM   #26
Jambuster

Just another data point . I loaded 10 rounds last night and checked the bullet run-out on all . They were all .003"-.004" . If you will recall the run-out on the brass was less than .001" . I am using a standard RCBS Seating die.
Old August 6, 2018, 03:26 PM   #27
F. Guffey

Quote:
With most reloaders factors do not exist but if there was such things as factors what factors would effect accuracy?
Again: I have an Elmer Keith rifle, the length of the chamber is .016" longer from the datum/shoulder to the bolt face than a minimum length/full length sized cases when measured from the datum/shoulder to the case head. I was told not to shoot the rifle because there was a chance I could die etc. If I fire factory/minimum length/full length sized cases in the field reject length chamber + .002" the necks shorten big time and the case lengthens from the shoulder to the case head .016". Now that is a long way around getting formed cases. I have found it is better to form first and then fire because I am the fan of clearance; I am not the fan of .016" clearance when there is something I can do about it..

F. Guffey