The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 1, 2018, 07:51 AM   #1
Miles2014

Replacement 870 barrel

I picked up a very lightly used beautiful 870 Wingmaster with wood furniture a few months ago. It had the very long vented barrel with it (not sure, but I believe 20”). I’m looking to get a shorter more all purpose barrel. I know Remington is having a 4th of July sale right now. Which version would be the best option for just plinking, range, HD, etc...not hunting.

Thanks!
Old July 1, 2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Combat Weapon System

The 18 inch Cylinder Bore would be my choice.
Old July 2, 2018, 02:32 AM   #3
bamaranger

barrels

I believe you need to rethink your definition of "general use". Your longer vent rib barrel is actually intended for multiple use at its present length. The shorter barrels you seem inclined to prefer are actually special purpose.

A 20" pump shotgun barrel is typically considered "short", and 18" is the shortest you can purchase and not need special paperwork and fees. Tubes that length (18-20") are intended for HD and slug shooting at big game like deer. Short stubby tubes are usually considered special purpose barrels by shotgun folk.

Your longer vent rib barrel is likely 26-28" , that is the typical lengths for a "general purpose" field/sport barrel. The shotgun in its simple form is primarily intended for moving targets with fur or feathers or sport shooting at clay birds There are some advantages for those longer barrel lengths. For one, the longer vent rib draws the eye (or is supposed to) and helps track moving targets, be it game or clay birds. The added weight of a longer tube helps with swing and follow thru, essential components of good shotgun shooting at moving targets as well. Sounds to me like you are more in the market for a short 18-20" barrel, ie a special purpose barrel.

I'll add that a 24" Mossberg here serves both roles pretty well,but I do not know if Remington sells such a barrel length for the 870. Also, we have not discussed the whole issue of "choke", which is an issue that needs to be decided with your purchase.

"Plinking" with a shotgun is a sort of contradiction in terms. If by "range use" you mean clay birds, the GP 26-28" tubes will be a plus.
Old July 2, 2018, 01:05 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Probably 26" vs 20". Although there's a factory 21" vent-rib, bead-sighted, turkey choked barrel. Run a cleaning rod down the barrel with the action closed and measure it. If it's got Rem Chokes it is an all purpose barrel. That's not a bad thing.
Remington makes an 18, 18.5", 18.75" and a 20" 870 barrel. They make a 14" barrel too, but, like bamaranger says, that requires a special licence. Kind of useless too. They make a 20" fully rifled slug barrel. Shortest barrel is an 18", bead sight, Cylinder choked(as in no choke), upland bird barrel. That one is fast for grouse that rocket off from under foot and scare the bejeebers out of you. It's also probably the best thing for repelling borders and zombies. Buck shot has some uses.
Old July 2, 2018, 04:38 PM   #5
jmr40

I'm thinking typo and the OP means 30" instead of 20". I don't recall a Wingmaster with anything anywhere near 20" and a vent rib. They made a few Express and special purpose guns with 21" vent rib barrels meant for turkey hunting.

If my guess is right then 30" is really a special purpose barrel. For a do it all 870 barrel length I like 26". It is still long enough for most wing shooting and manageable for personal defense.

Once you get below 26" you are into special purpose barrels meant for turkey or deer hunting and personal defense.

Winston Churchill
Old July 2, 2018, 04:52 PM   #6
FITASC

I agree, 20" is way too short unless that Wingmaster was some form of riot gun....More likely 28 or 30 inches long.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 4, 2018, 12:52 AM   #7
bamaranger

thinking

I've been thinking about this thread.......and I wonder if the OP is measuring his barrel length from the end of the magazine tube rather than from the closed bolt face?

Not trying to insult anybody......could be a new guy mistake.