The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 11, 2021, 05:35 PM   #1
79yodasr5

30mm scope rings

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes: After having my oldest M77 re-barreled by Douglas (#4 26" 280 AI) and getting it to shoot (under 0.75" off a backpack on my picnic table)I decided some new glass was in order. I chose a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14/50. This scope has a 30mm tube so I also needed some new rings to fit. Based on Leupold's recommendations elsewhere, I selected the Leupold "High" 30mm rings for M77. The Leupold rings will not tighten to my receiver. Leupold says this is a "known issue", my receiver is "out of spec", and they said they would send some alternate "keepers" which would allow me to use the rings. They failed to say the keepers were out of stock and that they had no idea when they would be able to send them to me. So I got to wondering why this issue is not mentioned in their advertising for these "precision, American-made rings". In any event does anyone have a suggestion as far as some rings which will fit? Any tips?
Old April 11, 2021, 08:15 PM   #2
Nathan

Warne makes a very good ring for the M77.

Rings
Old April 11, 2021, 08:21 PM   #3
TXAZ

Lapp the rings. You’ll take tension off the scope and you can improve the most any rings.
I’ve done that with 2 sets of $200+ sets of “precision “ mounts and while they were very close, lapping made them almost perfect.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 12, 2021, 08:34 AM   #4
603Country

I had some questions about rings for a rifle I had bought. Rather than risk a wrong guess on what to buy, I called Warne and discussed the rifle and scope. They suggested rings of theirs that would work. They were right. Call Warne...
Old April 12, 2021, 06:15 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
Lapp the rings. You’ll take tension off the scope and you can improve the most any rings.
I’ve done that with 2 sets of $200+ sets of “precision “ mounts and while they were very close, lapping made them almost perfect.
They wont fit on the receiver.... how is lapping the rings where the scope goes supposed to help? Lapping mount/ring base seems impractical at best, and counter productive as it is already too large.

My question would be. If it is still using Rugers Propritary ring mount system. or is it drilled and tapped for bases? If the former you might consider getting ruger rings. If the latter perhaps a 1 piece base and use the rings you have. If it is milled in, try the Warne or perhaps ruger standard style factory rings?
Old May 10, 2021, 03:04 PM   #6
std7mag

Optics planet & Warne are both showing high 30mm rings in stock.
Optics Planet has Ruger brand rings.
Warne is, well Warne.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 10, 2021, 03:16 PM   #7
MarkCO

Call Warne and they will get you set up. Don't lap rings unless you buy crap rings.