The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 9, 2021, 09:49 PM   #1
mk70ss

What Is Your Most Unpretentious Handgun?

I have Wilson Combat guns, Colt Pythons, and some rare, mint S&W revolvers. But one of my favorite guns and most used ( I carry it when I walk my pugs due to tons of coyotes in my neck of the woods) is a 1970’s Charter Arms Pathfinder 3 inch .22 revolver. Blueing is worn, but it still works just fine. Like an old friend to me. What are your favorites that are just pedestrian, plain old good guns??
Old January 9, 2021, 10:17 PM   #2
rock185

I think all of mine are good guns, but unpretentious. My most unpretentious might be an old J. Stevens "Tip-Up" model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tip Up (1).JPG (101.8 KB, 254 views)
Old January 9, 2021, 11:19 PM   #3
BourbonCowboy

My parkerized Charter Arms Off Duty .38. Plain, boring, dull, reliable and accurate.
Old January 10, 2021, 12:06 AM   #4
TXAZ

Sig P229
Black, it looks like many others.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 10, 2021, 12:40 AM   #5
Forte S+W

I suppose that would be my Smith & Wesson Sigma SW40VE...

It may be a Smith & Wesson, but it sure isn't fancy nor is it pretentious... It's a pretty blatant derivative of a Glock, so much so that the original Gen 1 Sigma SW40F (mine is a Gen 3) was similar enough to a Glock that they actually filed a lawsuit against S&W over it which ended up settled out of court. Nothing pretentious about that, in fact it's pretty darn humble if anything for Smith & Wesson to so blatantly copy another company's design, especially one so plain and utilitarian as a Glock.
Old January 10, 2021, 01:20 AM   #6
Kirrich

Browning High Power Mk. III. Simple, clean lines, yet still a classic (does that disqualify it?)
Old January 10, 2021, 07:19 AM   #7
shurshot

S&W model 10, 4" heavy barrel .38, a LEO trade in I hand picked from a box full of them 3 decades ago. A friend reblued it as it was pretty worn. Shoots to point of aim with 158 RN or 148 wadcutters. Canoe trips, hiking, small game hunting, CCW, was also my truck gun for years. Nothing special, just an old school Sheriff's Department revolver from a bygone era. Original grips are all banged up, but with a Tyler T-grip, they work great and I like the dings.

One memorable event; Camping within a mile of the Canadian border in Northern Maine in the early 90's, late at night, campfire going. Wolves began howling in the distance from the Quebec side of the border. Not coyotes... Wolves. If you ever heard them, you can easily tell the difference. Sends sharp primal chills down your spine to hear wolves deep in the woods, especially at night far from civilization.

I slipped that S&W from its holster and kept it close. That old S&W .38 loaded with Nyclads provided me with quite a bit of comfort under the amber glow of the campfire. Without it, I doubt I would have been able to go to sleep under the stars. Good memories. Damn good gun. Isn't going anywhere.

Last edited by shurshot; January 10, 2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old January 10, 2021, 08:50 AM   #8
44caliberkid

Probably a Charter Bulldog 44 Special, but I also have a S&W 40VE.
Old January 10, 2021, 09:16 AM   #9
Hawg

Probably my 4 inch S&W 10-5.
Old January 10, 2021, 09:43 AM   #10
AirForceShooter

.380 LLAMA.
Had it for close to 50 years.
Forget about finish.
Accurate and uber reliable.

AFS
Old January 10, 2021, 10:33 AM   #11
Carmady

LCP with a rusty slide. Might get it cerakoted with H-190 Armor Black.
Old January 10, 2021, 11:01 AM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
I have Wilson Combat guns, Colt Pythons, and some rare, mint S&W revolvers. But one of my favorite guns and most used ( I carry it when I walk my pugs due to tons of coyotes in my neck of the woods) is a 1970’s Charter Arms Pathfinder 3 inch .22 revolver. Blueing is worn, but it still works just fine. Like an old friend to me. What are your favorites that are just pedestrian, plain old good guns??
"Unpretentious"? Probably my Taurus 605. 12 years of on and off carry have left it with a lot of scrapes and wear polished spots, that I'm not going to do a thing about.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 10, 2021, 11:47 AM   #13
jar

Always with me.

Old January 10, 2021, 12:18 PM   #14
stinkeypete

Bersa Thunder .380.

High quality at low price. Simple blowback design, very accurate for its short sight radius, excellent trigger and control group. All metal construction.

The only downside is it throws perfectly good brass in to the field. For not a revolver, still an outstanding pistol even at twice the price.
Old January 10, 2021, 01:19 PM   #15
reteach

Twenty-five or so years ago I went to a gun show determined to buy a Blackhawk .357. I walked in and right there in front of me was a man who looked to be around 70 and looked like he had just stepped off his tractor to come to town for the gun show. He had a Blackhawk .357 in his hand and was looking around, trying to figure out which way to go. I spoke to him and he was selling the gun. He needed money for something. The Blackhawk's finish was worn here and there and one of the grips was cracked. It looked like it had ridden at lot of miles on the floorboard of some truck. The thing that really caught my eye was the sights. The rear sight was missing and the front sight was filed down very short. There was a shallow groove in the top strap that looked like it might act as the rear sight. I asked about it and the old guy mumbled something about his son messing with it. I figured I could get new sights, and it had the 4 5/8" barrel I wanted, so I bought it. I wish I could remember what I paid for it, but it was a good price for both of us.

Before looking for sights for it, I took it to the range just to make sure it worked. It was one of the most accurate handguns I've ever shot. I tried different ammo, in .38 and .357, and for a fixed sight handgun, it was fun to shoot with all of them.

So 25 or so years later, I haven't changed anything but the grips. It is unpretentious in the extreme. I wouldn't hesitate to throw it under the seat of a truck and let it bounce around there for a while, knowing that it will put a bullet in what I want to put a bullet in if I had to put a bullet in something.
Old January 10, 2021, 04:41 PM   #16
mk70ss

Everything posted so far sounds about perfect. the right tool matched to the right person, for the right job.
Old January 10, 2021, 08:52 PM   #17
Targa

Phoenix Arms HP-22a.
Old January 11, 2021, 08:02 AM   #18
Schlitz 45

I’ve had an old bolt action Kessler-Westchester 12 gauge “Bill Cody Model” for almost 50 years & it was old when I traded a guitar for it. A true beater of a gun that has dropped a ton of game- no pretension just function.
Old January 11, 2021, 09:31 AM   #19
BarryLee

S&W 442 in basic black and some nice scratches from being dropped once. I don't pocket carry much, but when I do this works fine in a basic Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Not the most fun to shoot or the most accurate gun I have, but it can hit center mass consistently at a reasonable range.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; January 11, 2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old January 11, 2021, 10:59 AM   #20
Double K

Years ago when the original Ruger LCP came out the guys in my hunting lease chipped in and bought me one, it's cheap gun that malfunctions if it's shot and then not cleaned everytime but it's small enough to go anywhere so it's useful.
Old January 11, 2021, 11:22 AM   #21
Frisco

In context?

Plinker: My old Ruger MkII 4" fixed sight .22lr that I bought at Marksman in Tucson in 1988 for somewhere on the close end of a hundred bucks.

Centerfire: An old 4" pencil barrel Smith Model 10-2 in .38 Special. (I have a strange weakness for the old pencil barrel K Frames, no matter how many competition and specialty pistols I have accumulated over the years...I am ALWAYS on the lookout for old K Frames).
Old January 11, 2021, 12:26 PM   #22
CajunBass

Probably this one.

Taurus Spectrum 380. About as simple as you can make a gun I suppose. Handy little thing too.

Or maybe this one. Heritage Rough Rider, 22 LR. Even simpler and really more useful for most things. I just got it, and sort of forgot about it.

John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; January 11, 2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old January 11, 2021, 12:46 PM   #23
Nick_C_S

Smith & Wesson Model 67, 4" bbl. It's a 2014 production; so there's nothing classic about it.

It's also the gun I shoot the most - by far.
Old January 11, 2021, 02:15 PM   #24
Hanshi

While there is more than one that fits the description I'm pretty sure it has to be the Raven .25 acp. Reliable mouse gun and pretty accurate, too.
Old January 11, 2021, 03:17 PM   #25
Forte S+W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
Taurus Spectrum 380. About as simple as you can make a gun I suppose. Handy little thing too.
I wanted one of those so badly when they were first announced, but then they got delayed for several months and once they were finally released they had issues with light primer strikes so I ended up getting a Ruger LCP instead. Did they ever manage to fix them or did you just experiment until you found ammo that ran reliably?