The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Todd Porter

stevens 12 gage

Hello,
I just inherited a stevens model 57 e, 12 gage pump with a 30 in. smooth barrel (along with a very nice marlin 60) and a bunch of ammo,etc. Anyway, I'm trying to date this gun and can't find any info. I know it's a "post warning" gun, and I'm thinking it's probably mid eighties manufacture. Gun is in very good condition and has been used, I think for deer hunting. My father in law was an electrician and took these 2 guns as payment in kind for some work he did for a widow so I don't know any history beyond the last five yrs. or so, don't think dad ever shot it. Anyone have an idea how to date this gun and what the possible value may be? Thanks,
Todd

p.s. the guns are not for sale
Old September 6, 2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Todd Porter

Sorry, my eyes are getting old, it's a model 67 e
Old September 6, 2010, 06:51 PM   #3
zippy13

Stevens are hard to date due to an absence of records. It's my understanding, prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, Stevens shotguns didn't have serial numbers, but were date coded. It was a letter within a small circle starting with "A" just after WW II. Guns with serial numbers didn't have date codes since the serial number would tell the date (assuming the records remained available). I found one reference where the contributor opined the 67E was in production from 1972-89.