The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 4, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Shoes

1981 Citori and steel shot

Has anyone ever used steel shot in a fixed choke (o=modified and u=improved cylinder). There are no removable chokes in this gun. Someone told me I'd blow the barrels if I used it.

Your thoughts???? Shoes
Old September 4, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
noyes

Browning said.......... http://www.browning.com/customerserv...ail.asp?id=128
Old September 5, 2010, 10:17 AM   #3
BigJimP

In general, you can shoot steel in a choke up to a Modified ( but no tighter ) ...

as I recall - this is the gun you paid about $ 350 bucks for ... so in general, yes, you should be able to shoot steel in it, if you want. Is it likely to cause a "slight bulge" - not in my experience .... and will it blow up a barrel ( almost no chance ...) ... in my opinion.

If you're really worried about it / take it to a competent gunsmith in your area.
Old September 6, 2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Shoes

Lead shot is getting harder and harder to get. I'd hate to have the barrels buldge on such a sweet gun, good deal or not.
Old September 6, 2010, 06:52 PM   #5
BigJimP

I don't know why you think lead shot is getting harder and harder to get ...in commercial shells - its everywhere. For reloaders -- a buddy just bought 20 bags ( 25 lb bags over the weekend)... in 8's for sporting, skeet and Trap ...

Take it to a gunsmith / and ask their opinion ...or talk to Briley in Texas.