The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 19, 2010, 01:15 PM   #1
OscarTurner

First deer hunt in 25 years - Pressure's on.

Here it is at the start of hunting season and it looks like I'm taking my step grandfather's Woodsmaster 742 out into the field for the first time since he passed in the early 1980s. I also have not been hunting since he passed either. My step dad claims the rifle had never completed a hunting season without at least a few deer taken and one very unlucky turkey. Pressure's on.

This year my step dad gave me all of his dad's guns after his mom passed. The total list is:
Remington Woodsmaster 742 .30-06
Winchester Model 12 20gauge
a Savage Model 6 22lr
Remington Model 141 in .30 Rem
Winchester model of 1917 .30-06

Of all of them, the Woodsmaster was the closest to hunting condition, so that's what I'm taking this year. Plus it's scoped already.

My step dad is more excited than I am. He caught the falconry bug after his dad passed, which is why we never went deer hunting again. If I kill a deer with his dad's gun this year, I honestly think he will cry. I have some good friends taking me though their hunting club to help me get started.
Old October 19, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Daryl

All I can do is wish you the best of luck!

Oh, and have fun!

My dad's father passed away around the same general time (1982), and I inherited a couple of his firearms (Colt Woodsman and a 1956 Winchester 70 in .243). I didn't wait so long to keep the memories alive, however, and we've been on many a hunt in the passing years.

Daryl
Old October 19, 2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Scorch

Good luck with your hunt!

If you score with the 742, it might be time to warm up the Model 141!
Old October 19, 2010, 02:02 PM   #4
davlandrum

It is not pressure, it is fun. Carry it with the ethics, respect and honor due and you will be successful even without filling a tag.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 19, 2010, 02:02 PM   #5
OscarTurner

The 141 feels awesome but I have no idea where to get ammo for it. All I see is the new .30 Rem AR stuff when I search.

I would love to take that rifle out just for plinking if nothing else. It feels better in my hands than my Marlin 1894 which is hands down the funnest gun I've ever fired.
Old October 19, 2010, 02:44 PM   #6
BIG P

Good luck and have a good time,just turn the game magnet on, on the side
of that 742 good things will happen.
Old October 19, 2010, 05:05 PM   #7
crghss

Having fun is the most important part.......good luck.
Old October 20, 2010, 07:00 AM   #8
doofus47

No pressure, enjoy it like your dad would!

Good luck
Old October 21, 2010, 08:50 AM   #9
OscarTurner

Friday Hunt - Buck shot??

It looks like Friday will be my first day back out. I won't be starting with the 742 on the first day after all. The spot my friend is taking me is only friendly for buckshot. There are no tree stands yet and there are houses near enough to be a concern. I'm really not at all comfortable with hunting with buckshot. I know it is successfully done around here because of the dense brush. Still at that close range I'd feel more comfortable using my 357 carbine.

The only shotguns I have are a Mossberg 590 and the Winchester Model 12 20-gauge my step dad just gave me. The model 12 has a poly choke and has successfully taken many deer with slugs and buckshot, just not by my hands. The 590? I just can't get past the negative stigma of shooting a deer with something that has a heat shield on it. I know that is probably ridiculous, but I have to sleep with myself at night. At least the Model 12 is a sporting gun and it has a choke on it. I just wish it was 12 gauge in this case.

At this point I may just make this a scouting mission to find a good spot to set up a stand.
Old October 23, 2010, 07:27 AM   #10
hooligan1

Its the FEEL of the hunt. No pressure. Its as enjoyable as you allow it to be.
Old October 23, 2010, 08:29 AM   #11
OscarTurner

Success!!

I took my first deer last night (a button buck) with my Marlin 1894CS .357 using an American Eagle 158gr JSP. 30 yard shot from an 8 foot stand.

When he came into range I felt my nerves going crazy. Heart pounding. Sweat beading. Hands shaking. Then I stopped focusing on the gun in my hand and just observed the beautiful deer for a few moments, and everything slowed down. I still had the bead just behind her shoulder (I thought is was a doe at this point). I wan't shaking anymore. My breathing was smooth again. I squeezed. He jumped. I was still looking at the same site picture, but now there was no deer in it. I knew it was a good shot. He bolted for a short 20 yards and went down quick. The shot went clean though. About a 1" entrance and a 2" exit.

He is cleaned and curing on ice and the deer fever has started.

Not a huge trophy buck, but a huge trophy none the less. My first deer.
Old October 23, 2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Buzzcook

A deer in the pot is nothing to sneeze at. The main thing is to have fun.

Enjoy the rest of the season.
Old October 23, 2010, 02:18 PM   #13
hooligan1

Sweet dude!!! Those are very prized in my home for their breakfast sausage!!!!!!!! I like one of those in my freezer every year man, congrats!!
Old October 27, 2010, 05:30 PM   #14
liberty1

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4172.html
Found some current production .30 Remington ammo
Old October 27, 2010, 05:54 PM   #15
Scorch

Congrats, Oscar!

OK, now that someone has found you some 30 Remington ammo, we want some pics of your next hunt, too.
Old October 28, 2010, 04:14 PM   #16
OlCrip

Spotted Venison ... my absolute favorite.
Old January 3, 2011, 03:00 PM   #17
OscarTurner

End of season update.

I never got the Model 14 .30 Rem (earlier I called it a 141) to the field, but myself and my step grandfather's Remington 742 are back in action after a hiatus since 1984. I went out last Wednesday in the lovely NC Christmas snow and took a good size doe with a 75 yard shot straight through the heart. It was truly God's day and I hope my step grandfather was somewhere enjoying it as much as I was. I only got to punch my card twice this year, but I only went hunting twice so those are good stats!

I also met some great folks this year. An old friend from high school is who took me out and showed me the ropes. Through him I met a great group of hunters and they helped fill my freezer. A squirrel and rabbit hunt is on the calender this week and preparing for the spring turkey hunt. But I still can't wait for October's return of deer season.

backstraps!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0102012026.jpg (205.3 KB, 160 views)
Old January 3, 2011, 03:12 PM   #18
fisherman66

Oscar, it's great to read a message from someone putting their father's or grandfather's old "Betsy" to good use. Sometimes I get so sick of hearing about "What's the best gun for 1000 yard hunting". It's nice to see some still see hunting as the glue that holds the generations together.

I was given my grandfather's Model 12 last year. I'm planning a turkey hunt right now to put my generation's blood and sweat into it. That's what it's about my friend.

It's also nice to see a cast iron skillet browning backstraps. Try them chicken fried some time.
Old January 3, 2011, 04:21 PM   #19
OscarTurner

Thanks fisherman! That's a Maid of Honor iron skillet with lid from the early 1920's. It was my wife's great grandmother's. We glued a lot of generations together at dinner last night!

Good luck with the Model 12. I'm taking mine (model 12 20 gauge) out next weekend ( also for the first time in 25 years) . I've got her cleaned up and it feels solid and smooth. Its the gun my step dad would let me shoot as a kid. Those are awesome shotguns.
Old January 4, 2011, 12:16 PM   #20
Gbro

My salivary glands kicked into high gear at the site of your skillet!
I am going to defrost (nuking)some venison right now because of your post, however all my cast iron skillets are hanging above the wood cook stove at the hunting shack so I will have to use less than perfect cookware on top of the flat-top e-range.

Thank You,
Old January 4, 2011, 01:33 PM   #21
OscarTurner

Enjoy your lunch Gbro!

I did those backstraps with a 24hr marinade of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and herbs and spices. Sauteed them with onion, garlic and red peppers. Deglazed the pan with broth and reduced to a thick sauce. Plated with blue-cheese crumbles and pan sauce drizzled on top.

Tonight is taco night with ground venison from the button-buck in the top picture.

Next week I may venture into a rabbit or squirrel Brunswick stew, unless I don't get out this weekend.
Old January 7, 2011, 06:56 PM   #22
Gbro

Quote:
Next week I may venture into a rabbit or squirrel Brunswick stew, unless I don't get out this weekend.
The only Rabbit I have had in 30 years is, "Welsh Rabbit"!
Old January 7, 2011, 10:32 PM   #23
doofus47

like ridin' a bike....

congrats, mate.