The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
FJ4ZROX

Nighthawk vs Scattergun Tech.

So which tricked out 870 would you purchase - the Nighthawk or a Wilson/Scattergun Tech...and why?
Old April 27, 2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Scattergun Bob

FJ4ZROX

I use to live in the twin View area of Redding as a youngster, hope it is the same wonderful place.

I am a cheerleader for scattergun Tech / Wilson, that said, I am also an ex-employee of that company. Price vrs what you get is an issue, but what you get is allot. What ever you choose, make sure it fits the nitch you NEED, not the dream you think you WANT. By the way as Dave says; the best modification of any pump guns is ware marks on the action bars!

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old April 27, 2012, 11:21 AM   #3
BigJimP

Holy cow....its a Scattergun Bob sighting ...nice to see you around big fella!!

I'm not a tactical shotgun guy ....but I do like Wilson Combat over Nighthawk ( based mostly on my almost 10 yrs of experience with their handguns ) ...not that either of them are bad ...but I like my Wilson Combat handguns a lot ..and the 3 or 4 Wilson/Scattergun Tech shotguns that I've fired, that belong to others, were pretty impressive.

I have not fired or seen a Nighthawk tac shotgun ..but if I wanted one, I would go to Wilson ...or buy the Benelli M-4 ---which I also like in a semi-auto ( I'm not a big Rem 870 fan ) ....but I know Wilson Combat will meet or exceed my expectations.
Old April 27, 2012, 11:56 AM   #4
zippy13

Quote:
Holy cow....its a Scattergun Bob sighting ...nice to see you around big fella!!
Jim, I suspect it's warmed-up in his neck of the woods, and he's come out of hibernation. It's good to see you back, Bob, we've missed your sage comments.
Old April 27, 2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Drummer101

Saw the name "Scattergun Bob" and the first thing I thought of was the medicine man from the 2010 True Grit...
Old April 27, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
BigJimP

its probably him ....oh wait,... I didn't see the 2010 version ....I was thinking of the Old Version....
Old April 27, 2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good to see you back, Bob. How ya been?

To the OP....

I'm not the biggest fan of Wilson,Vang,etc. A cognizant 870 owner can do most of the stuff him/herself. Forcing cones, triggers and backboring are the exceptions.

Don't get me wrong. These are reputable firms offering good services and parts. However, what an 870 "Makeover" costs from them will buy a lot of ammo and range time.

And,finally, a checkbook never can substitute for expertise. Get good with your present, unaltered shotgun before spending much on tweaks...
Old April 27, 2012, 04:57 PM   #8
BigJimP

Oh come on Dave....loosen up that checkbook a little man....

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-professional.asp

its only a $ 2,000 proposition ...more or less...

---------------
But I'd probably want one of these too ...to keep it company in the safe.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/rifle-spr.asp

so that's another $ 4K or so .....
------------
good thing I'm just happy with my Wilson 1911's as my primary tactical and carry guns...

Handguns - 1911's Nov 2009 004.jpg

my wilson CQB 5" in .45 acp is at the lower left...( I only have about 25,000 rds thru it now ...and just can't seem to wear it out ..)...
or the Protector model 5" ( just above it ) in stainless ...but its a 9mm ....( and I can't wear it out either ...even though its coming up on 40,000 rds now)...

Last edited by BigJimP; April 27, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old April 27, 2012, 05:22 PM   #9
FJ4ZROX

Not quite $2k...I was looking at the "Standard" model

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-standard.asp

Nice 1911 collection...I'll have to post mine when my Kobra Carry comes to join my CQB's, LW Commander, and Kimber's.

And while I lust for a Wilson enhanced AR, I still reside in Kaliforniastan and Wilson doesn't offer the ridiculous "bullet button" to make it legal here.
Old April 27, 2012, 07:04 PM   #10
BigJimP

see, I knew it ....you don't need that shotgun....
Old April 27, 2012, 08:47 PM   #11
zippy13

Quote:
Wilson doesn't offer the ridiculous "bullet button" to make it legal here.
You can't blame them, a bozo button is contrary to what they're trying to accomplish. FJ4ZROX, don't you know, there are no cool HD guns allowed in California these days. My AR doesn't have a bullet button; but, it's a pre-ban registered AW with all the incumbent restrictions.