The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2012, 07:53 AM   #1
EdInk

Bought a second shotgun

Yesterday, I pretty much rounded out my collection with the purchase of a coachgun. I picked up a CZ-USA Hammer Classic in 12 gauge.

I have not shot it yet but it feels to be a very nice gun. The shotgun is actually made by Huglu in Turkey. It features a color case hardened finish with some engraving and the wood is (Turkish) walnut.

It has extractors but not ejectors which is required for use in cowboy shooting and not a bad thing for birds. (Although, the shorter barrel and mule ear hammers make it a little less perfect for the latter activity.) The gun has the traditional double triggers, so you can select which barrel you want to use and/or still fire the other one should the first one malfunction for some reason. (This is the reason I like it better than the IMHO "more normal feeling" single trigger setup.) The chambers are 3" but I will probably only ever shoot standard length shells with pretty light loads. The buttplate is metal and matches the other case hardened parts. Oddly enough, even though the plate is just smooth metal it doesn't seem to slip from my shoulder but we shall see how bad it feels with some ammo soon.

So far, I am very impressed with the quality of this shotgun. I have been wanting a coachgun for a little while now and almost bought a few less expensive ones in the past. This one does cost significantly more than some of the other options on the market but having handled them and looking at the difference in overall quality, I think it is worth the extra money. This is one of those guns looks beautiful and you feel "warm and fuzzy" to own.

Anyone interested in a coachgun or other double barrel shotgun should really look into the offerings from CZ/Huglu because they seem very well made and the price is on par for the quality of them.

I will update with a range report when I have time.
Old April 28, 2012, 07:55 AM   #2
EdInk

FWIW my other shotgun is a Remington 870 setup with a 6 round side saddle and polymer furniture.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:41 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

What you need is a Browning O/U or Beretta O/U in 12 or 20.
Maybe a Ithaca pump for upland game, 20's are fast handling and will do just fine for Doves.
Maybe then your collection will be rounded out, Gotta have a autoloader too.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; April 28, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old April 28, 2012, 10:15 AM   #4
olddrum1

Pictures at 10?