The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2017, 07:39 AM   #1
Roland Thunder

Dillon 550b Shell Plate bolt

I have a Dillon 550b and I cannot get the index sprocket to slide down the shell plate bolt. It seems to be sticking up near the head of the bolt. I was going to slide the sprocket down and remove it so I can clean them both but I can't get it to. Anyone have this issue.

Maybe I should just get a new bolt and sprocket from Dillon.
Old April 15, 2017, 09:14 AM   #2
dahermit

I have been using my Dillon 550b for more than twenty years. For many years, the bolt and the indexing star seemed, as you have observed, to be "stuck" together via the recess in the bolt. Nevertheless, after years of removing it and cleaning, changing index plates, etc., it now comes apart. The two parts of dissimilar metals (Aluminum alloy star, steel bolt), they will eventually wear somewhat as mine has and be easier to separate. As to your problem with it, I suggest not worrying about it, just clean it as best you can. I certainly would not try to force them apart. I would not ask Dillon for a replacement...I doubt that they are going to think it is "broken".
Old April 15, 2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Master Blaster

Mine has also locked itself in place probably by scoring a ridge/ raising a burr on the bolt over 20 years of use. It spins freely but I can not remove it from the Bolt.

I have just left it on there, really no need to remove it for a caliber change. You should call Dillon and ask. Let us know what they say.
Old April 15, 2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Martys

Not really a problem to pursue. Mine was stuck for years but suddenly one day it separated. Just one of those things not to worry about.
Old April 15, 2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Probably makes the case to suggest the owner of a new 550B take those pieces apart and put a little Teflon grease there and work it in to prevent future sticking.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2017, 06:57 AM   #6
rebs

could you put a little never seize on it between the parts ?
Old April 16, 2017, 01:38 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
could you put a little never seize on it between the parts ?
I think the problem is that he cannot get it (advancing star and bolt), apart.
Old April 17, 2017, 08:10 PM   #8
pete2

I've been loading on a 550 for about 4 years, I've never had a problem. I load 3 different calibers so it gets changed 2 or 3 times a year and I clean and lube(grease) the bolt and shell plate each time. Never has stuck.
Old April 19, 2017, 07:43 PM   #9
rodfac

Never had an issue with either of my Dillon 550B's. I load for a dozen different calibers on them and routinely give the bolt shaft and flange, the inside dia. of the indexing sprocket, and the shell plate hole and underside a brief spray with Remington Dry Lube...the same lube works wonder with the primer feed arms and the track they ride in. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.