The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 23, 2017, 08:14 PM   #1
Nick67

Arisaka - need opinions, trainer or not?

Hey guys, I've been in talks with a seller regarding a Type 38 Arisaka. Seller is asking $400 shipped but I just had a few questions about it. I read that a 00 before the serial could mean it's a training rifle. Also, what is that symbol that's in place of the mum? Any help with this would be super helpful. Seller says he's shot it without problems. Thank you!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (65.1 KB, 15 views)
Old January 23, 2017, 09:52 PM   #2
tahunua001

that is an odd one for sure. I'm stumped. I'm not sure on double zeros denoting training, but those don't really look too me like zeros, they are more circle and less oval. that's definitely not a concentric circle mark either. I am going to go out on a limb and say it might be a school marking, rather than CC, or a mum, either that or someone tried to doctor up a missing mum and gave up halfway through. I am worried about the pressure vents being plugged though, that could mean this is a drill rifle or only intended to fire blanks. I would pass on it if you're looking for a shooter.
Old January 23, 2017, 10:08 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Unless someone has a really good reason I would pass. Especially without personal inspection.
Old January 23, 2017, 10:18 PM   #4
Nick67

Thanks so much for the help guys, I told the seller thanks but I'm not going to purchase it.
Old January 24, 2017, 07:20 AM   #5
JT-AR-MG42

The rifle is not a purpose built trainer, but rather a Type 38
that has had the mum removed (professionally) and replaced with a character.
Just stamping the oval ring around the mum is a much more commonly
seen type of mum cancellation.
Not sure of the meaning of the 'circle of ovals'.

Immediately between the circle and the 3 is the Mon-Busho, or Ministry of Education symbol.
That, along with the two circles, not zeros, ahead of the serial number
confirm it is a rifle that was removed from active service. The picture is
just a bit blurry, but the stock looks to be a correct two piece rather than a trainer.

It SHOULD be safe to shoot with regular ammo, but of course a hands on
inspection would be required as with any firearm of that age.

JT
Old January 25, 2017, 05:12 AM   #6
Gunplummer

Never saw one like it, but it was removed from service for some reason. Is the firing pin protruding, or is that a photo illusion? Should not be.
Old January 28, 2017, 01:05 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe I can add a bit. The rifle is from the early production at Tokyo Arsenal before production was moved to Nagoya and Kokura after the 1923 earthquake*. The two "o" characters ahead of the serial number indicate two arsenal rebuilds. The marks just above the type number on the receiver are the remains of the Kanji character for "school" showing that the rifle had been taken out of military service and transferred to the equivalent of what we would call a high school or college ROTC.**

I can't help with the meaning of the the chain marking in the location where the "mum" (indicating Imperial service) was originally stamped.

*The move had been planned before the devastating earthquake, but that disaster precipitated the process.
** That does nor mean the rifle was dangerous or worn out; apparently such transfer of surplus equipment to school use was common.

Jim