The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 12, 2018, 08:23 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

It's so good, that it's like cheating!

So I've always hated the way that clunky lasers look on a gun, but what the heck, the shield is not any beauty prize, so I decided to try a Viridian green R5 laser on it.

Wow, this thing is pretty cool. Laser comes on out of the holster and was already dialed in to the point of aim. It has steady green, vibrating green and off. The green dot is BRIGHT! Even in the bright sun I could pick up the dot out to tweny yards. In the shade I could clearly see the dot out to thirty yards.

Great for practicing dry fire as it shows if you are holding steady through the trigger break.

I gave up on a CT before on my Smith because the red was not all that visible in the sunlight, but the green is totally different! Bought a bunch of spare batteries to be prepared. The laser has a green light to show the condition of the battery. Easy to change out.
Old August 12, 2018, 08:33 PM   #2
O4L

I sure wanted one when I was carrying a Shield but they were very expensive then.

I'm considering getting another Shield and now they have a model with a green laser but it is integrated into the gun and can't be removed from what I understand. I don't think I want one like that even though I've seen some good deals on them.

If I get one it will probably be the Viridian.
Old August 12, 2018, 09:16 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

I managed to find a new on for 99.99!
Old August 13, 2018, 06:36 AM   #4
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I managed to find a new on for 99.99!
Great deal!
Old August 13, 2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Fishbed77

I tried a Veridian C5 laser on a defensive pistol for a while. Unfortunately, a wandering zero and the fact that shooting with it was no faster than shooting with iron sights caused me to give up on it. Sold it on Ebay and never looked back.

YMMV, but I'm still not convinced that lasers offer any more usefulness than a good set of night sights on a defensive pistol.
Old August 13, 2018, 12:57 PM   #6
stephen426

I don't believe that the green is actually brighter than the red lasers for the same wattage. It is just that our eyes puck up the green wavelength much easier than we do red. Regardless, if it works for you, that's great! Sounds like you found a pretty sweet deal too.

I started playing with lasers a few years ago. Most consumer lasers are under 5 milliwatts. I picked up a 50 milliwatt in green and that sucker is really bright! It is much more visible than the 200 milliwatt red laser I bought. Finally, I added a 1 watt (1000 milliwatt) blue laser that can easily burn stuff. If you get into lasers, BE SURE TO GET PROPER EYE PROTECTION!!! These high powered lasers can easily cause permanent eye damage in a hurry!
Old August 13, 2018, 01:43 PM   #7
TailGator

Quote:
Sold it on Ebay
For $99.99?
Old August 13, 2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

Quote:
YMMV, but I'm still not convinced that lasers offer any more usefulness than a good set of night sights on a defensive pistol.
That's assuming you will use your sights.
Old August 13, 2018, 03:40 PM   #9
briandg

I learned a long time ago that a laser will show your flaws. I realized that my glory days were over when I was playing with the dog and couldn't hold the dot on a push pin on the wall. But it also gave me great feedback as I worked to steady my hands.
Old August 13, 2018, 03:41 PM   #10
briandg

Your one watt laser should be a great and entertaining way to clean up powder spills and loose primers.

No, i'm not being serious!
Old August 14, 2018, 07:45 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
That's assuming you will use your sights.
Or that you'll activate the laser and look around your pistol for a tiny dot flying around. YMMV.
Old August 14, 2018, 07:56 AM   #12
Onward Allusion

There are many lasers that activate automatically.

All I'm saying that lasers are just another tool. To automatically discredit lasers is foolish. There are a good number of people on this forum that for whatever reason discount lasers. Their choice.

Different situations call for different tools. One will not always be able to use iron sights in a SD situation. However, one may not always be use their laser either. I would rather have two options rather than one.
Old August 14, 2018, 01:10 PM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
All I'm saying that lasers are just another tool. To automatically discredit lasers is foolish.
Agreed 100%

As stated earlier this thread, I've tried them and found no real benefit on a pistol versus the negatives (bulk, weight, operation, complexity).

As always, YMMV.
Old August 14, 2018, 02:30 PM   #14
fl_rich

Ive been to the local club a few times when those with lasers were shooting. They really exemplify how easily a pistol can sweep a large area! Keeping the laser in their lane was an impossibility. It was all over the place!