The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 10, 2018, 12:18 PM   #26
Jim Watson

Elmer Keith said that he would stick to factory magnums but mostly his heavy .38 load (which is heavier than 21st century +P+ and more than even .38-44) in Model 19. Of course that was before the advent of the 125 gr JHP.
Old August 10, 2018, 01:44 PM   #27
tipoc

Quote:
One does chamfer both the inside and outside of case mouths after trimming, so I suppose chamfering the front of a cylinder isn't a gross grammar violation, but it is an unusual and uncommon use of the term, so exactly what it meant should be explained in detail.
I thought I did that. I also showed the difference. The term is not uncommon.

There is always a chamfer. A chamfer is made whenever a sharp edge is broken. If there were no chamfer the sharp edge of the cylinder would cut the hand. A chamfer can be slight or deep as I explained and showed.

A chamfer on a cylinder cuts evenly all the way around. They are made by a cutting tool removing material to an even depth around, or across the circumference of the part.

A bevel is different. An example of that is the pic of the TLock cylinder. You can see that material has been removed only at the part of the cylinder where the cut out meets and makes a sharp angle when meeting up with the portion of the cylinder which houses the chamber. The depth of cut is not uniform all the way around the cylinder. It only effects that sharp angle at the junction. This cannot be made on a lathe.

That's the difference. At least the difference in terms of a handgun cylinder. Both terms are often used interchangeably with the a bevel being thought of as a deeper chamfor.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old August 10, 2018, 01:54 PM   #28
DPris
Member Emeritus

Well....…
Not in my house.
Denis