The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 9, 2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Oregon.gun.nut

How to remove and replace a broken shotgun bead

I have a Springfield/J. Stevens Model 311/530 SxS 20 gauge with a 5100 frame probably mader between 1940-48. I received this in a trade and it is in very good shape except fotr the sights. As showen in the attached photos, the rear bead is broken off flush with the rib and the front sight appears to be a slotted screw with its slot filled and I'm not sure if it has been epoxied or glued in place by its appearance.
I intend to sell this gun and would like to restore the original sights if it nmakes economic sense. The gun shoots just fine as is. but I have replacement #6. .130", 3x56 threaded beads just begging to be installed.
I am not a gunsmith, but I would like to know what to expect that a good gunsmith would do to remove the sights and install new ones.

(Sorry---I'm trying to figure out how to reduce my image size so it can be posted)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front sight #1.jpg (54.7 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg front sight #2.jpg (58.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg rear bead.jpg (59.7 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Oregon.gun.nut; August 9, 2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old August 9, 2018, 06:45 PM   #2
weaselfire

How are they installed? I think all the Stevens ones are soldered, so unsolder, remove and solder the new ones in.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old August 9, 2018, 07:09 PM   #3
Oregon.gun.nut

Sorry for the delay, Jeff, while I was posting photos. Thw original sights are a bead with a 3 x 56 threaded stud, which can also be confirmed by locating the replacement part in Numrich.
Old August 9, 2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Doyle

If you are lucky, you could drill that broken stem and use a small EZ Out. However, I'm not sure I've ever seen one that small. That means carefully drilling the old one and chasing the threads to clean them up. That won't be easy. A slight miscalculation and you'll bugger up your threads requiring even more machining.
Old August 9, 2018, 07:52 PM   #5
Oregon.gun.nut

It's never easy is it? In this day and age of fiber optic sights, it may be easier just to make the front sight flush like the rear one and solder on a couple of beads...big fat ones!
Old August 10, 2018, 01:44 AM   #6
Scorch

Most gunsmiths keep an assortment of shotgun beads on hand (I know I do!), so it should not be a major ordeal to find a replacement bead.

In order to replace the bead that broke off, it may be necessary to drill it out, or use a punch and walk it out. Then put a new bead in a pin vise and screw it in.
Old August 10, 2018, 06:29 AM   #7
FITASC

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it as you shouldn't be looking at the beads anyway; more aggravation than it's worth.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 10, 2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Oregon.gun.nut

Thank you for all your suggestions. My father was a gunsmith and I have the bead kits and probably the tools to do the job, but I have a detached retina and glaucoma and can't see well enough to do it. For what I have in it and knowing what I can sell it for, I think it will have to stay as it is.
I appreciate everyone's input.
Old August 11, 2018, 11:39 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

It's not just another bead that you need. You need a broken screw extractor first.
"...can't see well enough to do it..." Take it to a smithy.
Old August 11, 2018, 07:40 PM   #10
jcj54

Trip to a good gunsmith...

is the answer. A GOOD gunsmith will use a small center drill and spot drill the old bead, the drill with an undersized drill to remove the old bead shank. Then the correct tap drill can be used in a pin vise by hand to clear any remaining shank. Last the threads are refreshed with the correct tap and new beads installed.
I have been doing this for decades....
Old August 11, 2018, 08:19 PM   #11
Oregon.gun.nut

Thanks, jci54. That's exactly what I thought needed to be done. Here's my question: The nearest GOOD gunsmith is over 100 miles away. I have $195 in the gun and can only get about $300 for it in this area, repaired or not. By the time I add the charges for your work to my travel cost, does it make economic sense to do the repair?
Old August 11, 2018, 11:08 PM   #12
SGW Gunsmith

No, you don't need a broken screw extractor. You need someone who has a #00 center drill to put a hole in the center of what's left of the bead screw. Then, it's much easier to remove.
Normally, and depending on the thread of the bead originally installed, a replacement in either silver ( aluminum ) or brass is easily replaced.