The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 17, 2018, 04:26 PM   #1
M88

Taylor's & Co Short Stroke

Does anybody have any experience with Taylor's & Co (Uberti) Short Stroke SAA 1873? They advertise custom tuned, custom hammer and base pin springs, smooth easy 3 lb trigger... among other things. Anybody have one and if so how much better than your standard Uberti 1873 is it... assuming it is. I'm obviously not a gunsmith. I'm sure some on here will perhaps tell me to get the standard SAA and "tune" it myself. The more I tear my guns apart I AM getting more confident, but at this point, only to clean them.
Old July 17, 2018, 04:53 PM   #2
mk70ss

I have an Uberti Patron, which is a tuned 1873 similar to the Short Stroke. Mine is superb. Trigger is phenomenal.
Old July 18, 2018, 04:09 PM   #3
Crunchy Frog

The short stroke feature means that the hammer at full cock has a shorter throw than a standard 1873 revolver. Designed for competition use.
Old August 2, 2018, 01:50 PM   #4
M88

Update on Taylor short stroke

I went ahead and did purchase the Taylor & Co (Uberti) "short stroke" tuned 1873 SAA in 45 Colt. Have to say I love it as much as my New Vaquero 45 Colt. Of course it LOOKS almost identical, but as advertised, I love the trigger a little better than the Vaquero. Out of the box not fired at all, the Taylor short stroke averaged about 1.8 lbs of trigger but zero creep. Super light and crisp. My Vaquero averages about 3.5 lbs, still light but the Vaquero does have a little noticeable creep. The sub 2lb trigger and zero creep on the Taylor actually took a little getting used to at the range. I try and make a habit of keeping my trigger finger extended out along the trigger guard away from the trigger every time I pull back the hammer with my SAA's, but with this SAA that's even more important. I'm not a Cowboy Action guy and never will be... but I can't but think you'd have to be real careful with this gun. I suppose that shows how little I know about Cowboy Action shooting.
Old August 3, 2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Crunchy Frog

SASS rules require that the shooter have the revolver pointed downrange and within 45 degrees of the target before cocking. You also cannot move with a cocked firearm. Rounds that hit the ground near the shooter or that go through a “non expendable” prop will earn the shooter a DQ. Cowboy action rules are more restrictive than those of many other “action shooting” sports but we are, after all, using firearms with real ammunition.

We use two revolvers (plus a rifle and shotgun) on every stage. The best approach is to have revolvers set up so that they have an identical feel. This helps with consistency and safety.
Old August 3, 2018, 02:12 PM   #6
Bob Wright

Crunchy Frog sayeth:

Quote:
The best approach is to have revolvers set up so that they have an identical feel. This helps with consistency and safety.
I'm not into Cowboy Shootin' but that is exactly why I don't go for the short action revolvers.

Bob Wright