The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 24, 2016, 10:33 PM   #26
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvon2
I'm more concerned with the model at this point.
If you're planning on running it with a normal pistol grip (not a birds-head), I recommend against a Mossberg. With the 500/590, it's hard to reach the action release and safety with a pistol grip installed (on the Maverick it's only hard to reach the action release since it has a cross-bolt safety).

If you're planning to use a pistol grip, I suggest a Remington 870 because the controls are easier to use. If you're planning to use a normal stock or a birds-head grip, both will work fine but I prefer the Mossberg 500/590 controls in that case.
Old December 25, 2016, 08:13 AM   #27
Kvon2

I'm going to be using the hogue tamer grip. Heard great things about it and got it on sale. I bought it to fit the Mossberg/maverick so those are my options at this point. It will be probably be a maverick 88 based on cost.

Took on an unexpected car payment last weekend
Old December 25, 2016, 05:42 PM   #28
Kvon2

Of course Dicks sporting goods now does not have the 88 on sale...Was hoping to buy one this week
Old December 25, 2016, 06:51 PM   #29
FITASC

Walmart sells the 88 for less than $200 everyday
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 25, 2016, 07:03 PM   #30
Kvon2

I tried Walmartz website and all it says is out of stock..Couldn't check in store availability
Old December 25, 2016, 10:49 PM   #31
osbornk

Quote:
I tried Walmartz website and all it says is out of stock..Couldn't check in store availability
The Walmart website was inaccurate when I was looking for a Maverick 88. The website indicated they had one in stock in 12 gauge but when I got there, it was a 20. I paid a little more and got a much nicer Mossberg 500. They are pretty much the same except the Mossberg had 3 choke tubes and the Maverick had one and the Mossberg has a 10 year warranty vs a 1 year. I also like the wood stock better. The maverick was $188 and the standard Mossberg 500 was $254.
Old December 26, 2016, 04:01 AM   #32
dreaming

Some may wish to read up on the ATF's treatment of Pistol Grip Only shotguns of greater than 26 inches in overall length as an AOW if there is evidence that the actual firearm was concealed on a person. See the ATF letter.

Last edited by dreaming; December 26, 2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old December 26, 2016, 04:43 AM   #33
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming
Quote:
Should the firearm never been designed or manufactured stock that allows it to be fired from the shoulder, you may find that it is legal under Federal law, as is the case if the Mauser 500 Persuader.
In this case it wouldn't be a shotgun, it would simply be a "firearm" and would be classified as an "other". These types of firearms don't have a barrel length limit, but they have an overall length limit of 26". So if you buy a new pistol-grip shotgun you can make the barrel as short as you want without registering it under the NFA so long as your overall length is 26" or more.

Check out Shockwave Technologies, they make a birds-head grip that makes a Mossberg 500/590 with a 14" barrel into a non-NFA firearm by bringing the overall length to over 26" (keep in mind that this only applies if your Mossberg has never had a stock installed on it):
Your whole post is simply a cut-and-paste of part of a previous post of mine, post #15. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Old December 26, 2016, 05:08 AM   #34
dreaming

Sorry, Theohazard. I didn't even realize that was posted. I was trying to figure out how to post what was said so as to make it easier to understand things in context, and then I only saw what I had done when I realized I was editing what was accidentally posted. I probably shouldn't have posted given the kind of day it has been.

The point I was trying to make was that under the ATF's interpretation that a virgin PGO can be treated as an AOW even if it has an OAL of 26 inches plus. That said, are you so certain of your statement that you need not register under the NFA as long as your OAL is 26"?

Last edited by dreaming; December 26, 2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old December 26, 2016, 05:57 AM   #35
Theohazard

Quote:
That said, are you so certain of your statement that you need not register under the NFA as long as your OAL is 26"?
As long as your PGO never had a stock on it and was purchased without a stock. This is consistent with both federal law and also the ATF's interpretation of federal law. Check out the links on this page, which I already posted in post #15:

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Quote:
Some may wish to read up on the ATF's treatment of Pistol Grip Only shotguns of greater than 26 inches in overall length as an AOW if there is evidence that the actual firearm was concealed on a person. See the ATF letter.
I've seen that letter before, and that's a different issue entirely. Let's not try to complicate things even further. Yes, the ATF says if you shoulder a pistol with an arm brace, you're making a short barrel rifle. And yes, if you attach a shoestring to a semi-auto rifle in the right way the ATF says you've made a machine gun. And yes, if you conceal an over-26" PGO shotgun on your person the ATF could consider that an AOW.

But in and of itself, a PGO with a greater than 26" overall length is not an AOW.

Last edited by Theohazard; December 26, 2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old December 26, 2016, 12:47 PM   #36
Kvon2

Excellent news. Went to Dicks today and they have the maverick 88 going for $220. I asked the guy at the counter when he thought they may go on sale again and his short answer was he has no idea. I told him I would just take the hit and let's get some paperwork done.

Once we finished up we took me up to the register and leaned over to me and said "remember- you were out of town on black Friday" ...They rang me up for $178 and off I went. There are still some good people out there!
Old December 26, 2016, 03:54 PM   #37
dreaming

Theohazard, Reading between the lines, I am thinking you know your stuff. Good job. As for over complicating things, I here you and the many variables that can get someone in trouble are ridiculous. Such as what if you never even mount a shoulder stock to your virgin pgo, but own one that will bolt right up. What if it is on another shotgun but both are disassembled at the same time for a deep cleaning? Does it sound like a TC case? I won't get into it and further confuse fold, but would be especiall leary if a dealer sold a pgo and sold a shoulder stock at the same time, although they were separate skews.

Last edited by dreaming; December 26, 2016 at 03:59 PM.