The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 31, 2002, 02:28 AM   #26
biere

It is distinctive enough I have never smelled anything even close to it. I work with lots of chemicals and spray stuff, mechanic, and have to say I am tempted to use hoppes as an air freshner after some of the ozone safe junk that is now on the market for brake cleaning and what not.

Course I still have a case or two of evil cleaners from a while back.
Old January 31, 2002, 02:33 AM   #27
SpazzTrap

#9 smells awesome. Right up there with Original Old Spice aftershave, and the smell of a vintage tube guitar amp that has been played hard for over an hour.

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms...sounds like my bachelor party.
Old January 31, 2002, 02:43 PM   #28
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

The smell of a fine tube amp

Or a Tektronix 535 scope at midnight...

Or 90-weight hypoid gear oil...

Or a freshly lit Cohiba...

Yeah. The finer things in life.

Amazing how you can get attached to certain smells, isn't it?

I guess I'll spring for a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

- pdmoderator

(P.S. Personally, I disagree about the Old Spice )
Old January 31, 2002, 02:57 PM   #29
glock glockler

Hippies smell like a combination of BO, week old falafel, marijuana smoke, and general stupidity.

Oh wait, you said Hoppes, sorry, can't help you there.
Old January 31, 2002, 03:00 PM   #30
Indy_SIG

Quote:
Like all of my most cherished memories of a childhood spent hunting and shooting.
Amen.

Steely - I think you're on to something with the banana oil. I can remember my dad, uncle and others talking about the "banana oil" they used to clean their guns during WW II and how the smell of Hoppe's reminded them of it.
Old January 31, 2002, 03:56 PM   #31
Coronach

1. Yes, Breugger, like victory. Curse you, you stole my (rather obvious) joke. But it only smells that way in the morning

2. Smell is the stongest memory-evoking sense. It is a verifiable psychological fact that the sense of smell is strongly related to memory. That is why the perfume your first girlfriend wore can still make your heart skip a beat (or three).

3. This reminds me of the old Police Academy movies, where Tackleberry is getting ready to go on a date:

Steve Gutenberg: "Whats that you're putting on? Cologne?"

Tackleberry: "Naw, gun oil."

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old January 31, 2002, 04:14 PM   #32
Sisco

Here's an idea. Take one of those tree-shaped car air freshners, soak it in Hoppes. It might remind you of cleaning guns in the woods after the hunt.
Old January 31, 2002, 05:01 PM   #33
Bogie

Excuse me, Glockish, but _THIS_ hippie tends to smell like either a cigar or a pipe, and not a lot of other crap, since I tend to bathe early and often, given the chance...

Hoppes smells, at least to me, like it doesn't work. Sorry, but if I'm cleaning a rifle, I want something that will cut the copper...

(then again, the wiseass in me wants to say "I love the smell of Hoppes in the morning... it smells like... victory!"

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old February 1, 2002, 02:27 AM   #34
Carbon_15

I always likes the smell of the old formula break-free. It kinda smelled like a fresh box of band-aids. For some reason it smelled classy and elegant to me. unfortuantly, my last bottle ran out a while back and the new stuff dosnt smell like that anymore..just smells like regular old oil now. oh well, Wilson ultima-lube works better anyway, i only used it because I liked the smell.
Old February 1, 2002, 08:39 AM   #35
Tom Matiska

Smells like kerosene and ammonia(and for a good reason). Something about the way the two compliment each other.

Tom
Old February 1, 2002, 12:11 PM   #36
bdhawk

smell of hoppe's #9

much better than #8.
seriously, i don't particuarly like the smell of hoppe's #9. yet, it always seems to be a symbolic smell that brings up pleasent memories of shooting over the years. i love the smell of a gun shop that has the smell of gun oil and hoppes #9 (and years ago, pipe tobacco) it is a sensory reminder that i am in a place i like to be in.
Old February 1, 2002, 01:44 PM   #37
Long Path

Good ole' yellow-label Hoppe's is still a standby for my shotgun and pistol cleaning needs, being just the right amount of solvent for my average powder-and-lead-removal.

It smells like old Saturday and Sunday afternoons, sitting at the knees of men, amidst too much tobacco smoke and coffee and retold stories, while guns are handed back and forth and big plans are made.

BTW, Bogie, Hoppe's also makes an excellent copper solvent that has a black and gold label, and which I use for my rifle cleaning needs. It's nowhere near as lovely-smelling, but that amonia gets out the copper really well. Compare to 7.62 Sweet's. (be sure to wash your brushes off after, though!)
Old February 1, 2002, 07:38 PM   #38
Bud Helms

A lot like Hoppe's #10
Old February 1, 2002, 08:32 PM   #39
RBK
Registration in progress

Long Path...

"It smells like old Saturday and Sunday afternoons, sitting at the knees of men, amidst too much tobacco smoke and coffee and retold stories, while guns are handed back and forth and big plans are made. "

You're right on the money, man!

Old February 1, 2002, 11:52 PM   #40
Rovert

PDM, if you're really curious, swing down to ShoreShot on Saturday, and I'll let you inhale some of mine.

And if you REALLY behave yourself, I'll let you take a sniff on my Macintosh 2150.
Old February 2, 2002, 12:07 AM   #41
Crimper-D

Smells Like Banana Oil!...

And I don't like bananas! Haven't used the stuff in over 25 years, I'm a G-96 fan, it smells like my $ going By-Bye
Old February 2, 2002, 03:44 AM   #42
fed168

Smells alot better than Sweets. It's the nectar of the gods.
Old February 2, 2002, 04:06 AM   #43
notbubba

I guess I'm standing alone over in the "Hoppe's #9 Stinks" line.

But, I don't have childhood memories of cleaning guns.
I also think cleaning guns is a pain in the behind.

I hope you don't think I'm a bad person.
Old February 2, 2002, 05:38 PM   #44
Bud Helms

Bad. BAD! You are not bubba. Bad!
Old February 2, 2002, 07:18 PM   #45
mussi

Smells to me like military service. Back being corporal, we once had an outing with SIG 510s and 550s, and I intensively fired mine on full-auto, burning through some 2500 rounds in one day. Back at the camp, we took apart the guns, gave every barrel a good brush-up with some solvent oil (Motorex Gun Care if you bother asking), and then, I took my grease brush, dipped in Hoppes, and went through every 7.5 mm barrel and generously pulled a Hoppes number on every one. They came out quite clean afterwards.

I still admire the poor guy who decided cleaning receivers was more fun.
Old February 2, 2002, 10:04 PM   #46
BigC

Home.
Old February 3, 2002, 03:19 AM   #47
Elizabeth Petersen

[sniff...sniff...]

Ahhhhhh...

Scent makes me think of my man after he's spent a day at the range.

Gunpowder and Hoppes #9. Whoooooo...

Oh my, I gotta go now.

Vulnus pectoris sugens ne properetis mos naturae dicendi est

Ask me about my Hemingway Death Wish. I dare you.
Old February 3, 2002, 06:58 AM   #48
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Well, I tried to buy some yesterday...

...but the shop was all out. They said that it's difficult to find. Uncle Mike's bought Hoppe's and were busily putting their own label on the bottles.

So I bought some Breakfree CLP instead. For now.

- pdmoderator
Old February 3, 2002, 10:44 PM   #49
7th Fleet

I think that the smell of Hoppe's No. 9 is much nicer than the most expensive French perfume. My wife of course disagrees.

7th