The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 3, 2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Carl the Floor Walker

How well does your shotgun shoot 9mm

How well does your Shotgun shoot 9mm?

25 yds. front bead sight only

Bottom target is with a fiber optic that was too big'
Top target took off fiber optic and just used bead sight.

Old February 3, 2020, 03:58 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

I don't have a 9mm shotgun. But sounds interesting,
what size shot do you use and can you reload those 9mm shotshells?
Old February 3, 2020, 05:18 PM   #3
Carl the Floor Walker

Midland Bug Out 12ga. I have two The bottom picture is with a 18 1/2 " barrel the top with a 22". Using Short Lane 8 " rilfed barrel insert. The shotgun weighs only 4 lbs. Tough, high quality.

You can shoot a variety of different ammo like 45 acp, 22, or other gauge's out of the 12ga. All shotguns take Beretta chokes.

My 22" came with a scope mount. I have not put one on yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L15zECD2Mmc

https://www.gunadapters.com/

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 3, 2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old February 3, 2020, 11:19 PM   #4
idek

I don't have a 9mm, but I do have a .357/.38 special adapter (Chiappa 8" X-caliber) for 20 gauge shotguns.

I've tried it only a little in my NEF Pardner. I didn't get groups as good as yours. Whether it's because I wasn't good using a front bead or because it's just not accurate I can't say.

The theory of adapters is intriguing; the practicality (for me)... I don't know. I initially thought that the option to both .357 and .38 special ammo out of a firearm that already has the versatility to shoot bird, buck, and slugs seemed pretty great. In reality slugs, .357, and .38 specials all had different POI, and I don't know if any of them really hit at POA. Having only a fixed front bead limited me from making any helpful adjustments.

So it would only be a very short range option for me. In which case, I don't know if there's anything I could do with the .357/38 adapter that couldn't already be done better with bird or buck shot (except carry smaller/lighter ammo...which may be the point for some people).

Last edited by idek; February 3, 2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old February 4, 2020, 04:46 AM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

I actually bought the 18" 4 lb shotgun for Deer hunting. I spend a lot of time in the swamps, thick, ugly mess, a lot of walking. We can only use Shotguns where I live in the South. The little gun was a blessing for carrying all day. And can do very well shooting buckshot with this gun.
Is your insert a rifled Barrel? The longer 22" did come with a scope mount, and a Turkey coke, I will use that gun this season. These guns are as you know "Bug Out" guns. Kind of nice to have carry 9mm pistol, plenty of ammo and a shotgun that can be so versatile.
I actually have fun shooting the single barrel shotgun with the 9mm. A box of ammo goes a long way due to taking your time between shots focusing on the target.
The little shotgun is tough. I put a whole lot of Buckshot through the gun last summer with different chokes to get ready for deer season. Not as bad a recoil as some would imagine. I also want to get a 20ga insert to try out.
Old February 4, 2020, 07:29 AM   #6
darkgael

About usefulness....my son bought an 18" rifled adapter in 45-70 for a 12 gauge O/U that he has. He has used it boar hunting and done well with it.
Pete
the adapter was from MCACE.COM

Last edited by darkgael; February 5, 2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old February 4, 2020, 11:38 PM   #7
idek

Yes, mine is rifled. As stated, the big groups may reflect my lack of ability using a simple front bead sight more than limitations of the adapter.

And since I own a Marlin 1894c, I wasn't very motivated to learn the nuances of shooting the same ammo out of a single shot shotgun with poorer sights.
Old February 5, 2020, 11:17 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Not well at all.
The firing pin strikes the rim and only pushes the cases or cartridges a few inches.

My 9mm, however, will stick pencils in the ceiling. I'd rate that as "excellent".
Old February 5, 2020, 05:19 PM   #9
Carl the Floor Walker

The 24" Turkey shotgun (with Turkey choke) does come with a mounted scope rail. I am going to try out some Red Dots and some small scopes with quick detach rings. I will try and post some pics later. Also want to try out some different inserts.

https://www.shootmidland.com/collections/all
Old February 6, 2020, 04:18 AM   #10
Remington74

Does the adaptor stay in place when the gun is opened?

My savage 220 single shot has an ejector that can put empties into low orbit, will they grab that adaptor and perhaps damage the ejector or require re-seating the adaptor?
Old February 8, 2020, 12:51 PM   #11
idek

Saw this video today and it seemed relevant to the topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRFLhF3kgEY

It shows a 9mm adapter being used in a Beretta 686 12 gauge and shooting at a 10" plate. He starts at 10 yards and backs up in 10 yard intervals as long as he can hit the plate with 3 out of 4 shots.

He gets out to 100 yards before he can no longer hit 3 of 4 (he gets 2 of 4).

ETA: in response to Remington74's question, the adapter has a rim (just like a shotgun shell does) but a notch is missing from the rim. You line this notch up with the ejector so it won't catch.

Last edited by idek; February 8, 2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old February 8, 2020, 07:04 PM   #12
Remington74

Thank you idek. I just might pick one up for grins and giggles. The ejection part was my concern.
Old February 8, 2020, 11:21 PM   #13
idek

I should clarify that there is a notch in the rim of my Chiappa adapter... I don't see on on the picture posted by the OP, so I don't know how that one works.
Old February 11, 2020, 05:19 PM   #14
stuckinthe60s

id rather shoot a REAL 9mm shotgun.
the bernadelli 9mm semi auto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg bernadelli 9mm.jpeg (40.2 KB, 28 views)
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 1, 2020, 02:25 PM   #15
Hdonly

I have a .38 Special in the left and a .45ACP in the right barrel of my old Hopkins & Allen rabbit ear double barrel. Just for fun.