The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2019, 05:07 AM   #1
Grouser1865

Just a sportsman trying to buy a Browning

I am not a gun nut so I am not current on what companies are doing well and who is not so I am more frustrated than the guys who buy and sell often who probably already know about this stuff. I am simply trying to find one after another Browning shotgun to find nothing available except secondary market used stuff. I have to come clean about not spending any time on Browning's site to determine if these models are available, but wow, what have we come to when I can't buy a new Cynergy Field or 725 Field model in 12 ga., or a BPS in 410? That's three different guns in some of the most popular configurations I can imagine and no one has anything. To hell with fit, workmanship or features. All that Browning's competition has to do to gain market share is HAVE the gun! I never thought. I'm going to probably spend maybe another couple months to see if anything changes and then I suppose grab a 686 field and a Wingmaster 410.
Old December 12, 2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Fishbed77

I don't think I follow.

I entered the Cynergy Field & Citori 725 Field models in Google and find plenty of retailers selling them new, and online vendors with them in stock.

The BPS .410 may be discontinued. Have you tried calling Browning?
Old December 12, 2019, 10:24 AM   #3
jmr40

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...20Cynergy%2012

Some here

Winston Churchill
Old December 12, 2019, 10:40 AM   #4
Grouser1865

When you actually start moving further towards actually placing an order with one of these places, everyone is out of stock and offers the friendly follow up to the purchaser to email you when they are back in stock. And a whole host of other retailers describe these models as discontinued. Finally if you dig one click deeper within Browning's site, AFTER you click on "725" and then "Current Production" and scroll down to the field model, it clearly states "These Products No Longer In Production." The Cynergy Classic Field is plainly listed only as Discontinued, and the BPS is only available now in 12 and 20. I won't claim that there is absolutely none anywhere but the few I've seen are clearly overpriced which I suppose is for the exact reasons I'm talking about.
I wasn't really asking for help in finding any of these guns. I was more just venting at the absence of guns in configurations that are considered by many sportsmen as core models within their product lines. If you want these in the Browning line, you are completely out of luck. Too bad.
Old December 12, 2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Plenty listed as new on Gunbroker as well.

Again, I recommend that you follow up directly with Browning to get the answer you desire.

Just because a product is cataloged and not discontinued does not mean it is constantly in production. Manufacturers often do production runs of particular models before switching to others, meaning there are cycles of availability.
Old December 12, 2019, 01:40 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

BNIB Browning stuff is difficult to find in retail shops due to the price. All those shops must pay for the stuff they sell. When, is about their credit rating. Most will be on '30 days' credit. As in pay for the thing in 30 days or we'll stop giving you credit at all. Then it'll be COD.
What's your budget? Where you are might matter too.
"...BPS .410 may be discontinued...." Yep. 12's and 20's, only, on their site. .410's haven't exactly been the most popular configuration either. And a Cynergy isn't a Model 725. A 725 is a Citori.
https://www.browning.com/products/fi.../shotguns.html
"...listed as new on Gunbroker..." Most of the sellers there are dealers. Lot of 'em think they're going to get rich selling guns on-line too.
Old January 10, 2020, 08:02 PM   #7
dreaming

I had the same problem with trying to find a new Browning in December of 2011. I wanted a XS Skeet with 30 inch barrels in 12 gauge and nobody had one, even online. I got so frustrated I called Browning in Utah and somehow got put in touch with someone who was helpful.

The problem is inventory tax. No one wants to be stuck holding expensive shotguns at the end of the year and having to pay inventory tax. The guy at Browning clued me on the fact that they had a shipment of 10 on its way from Japan, out which 7 were pre-sold. I was told to contact a full authorized Browning dealer and tell them to order one of them for me. So I contacted Bass Pro and was lucky enough to find someone who knew how to game their system to place an order. They are their own distributor and will not go outside of their inventory to get a customer a gun. Bass Pro did not carry higher end Citori's. This guy had a friend in their distribution system and they got it for me by pretending that it was mistakenly sold to me thinking that it was in inventory.