The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 18, 2019, 06:15 PM   #1
Dirty_Harry

Durable Hunnting optics

I just bought a Bergara 308 and I plan to keep it as my main hunting rifle for a long time. I have always bought Nikon prostaff's in the past and have had good luck. I guess I want a step up for this rifle. I envision taking this rifle on hunting trips out west, not just the woods of Michigan. (in fact I wont use it much here).

I want something that will stand up to some abuse, what do you guys suggest? Price range is around 3-500.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 18, 2019, 07:04 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

Harry, in the $500 range there are many nicely made and durable scopes for hunting.
IMO I tend to go for Leupold VX3i series scopes. I have several and they are excellent for the money., but there are at least a dozen other quality brands out there for you to choose from.

BTW, I spent 6 years in Kalamazoo, my wife got her Phd from WMU. Nice town, great people!
Old November 18, 2019, 10:04 PM   #3
BoogieMan

If you like Nikon, step up to a Monarch. Most offerings from Leupold are also very good. Burris and Bushnell also have better lines that should meet your needs. Your price range. I just ordered a US Optics TS12. Retail at $595. But, these are not like their US made lines. I'll report back when i get my hands on it. I'm also a dealer for USO. I could get pretty close to your $500 mark if interested.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 19, 2019, 02:18 AM   #4
jmhyer

I've been impressed with Vortex optics. There are a number of option in your price range. Quality optics and a lifetime warranty.
Old November 19, 2019, 08:36 AM   #5
603Country

I’ll also recommend the Leupold VX3 line of scopes. I have a couple of them, one being a much older Vari-X III from (I’m pretty sure) the 1980’s. That old scope has seen a bunch of deer get shot, and the scope never gave me any issues. About 5 years ago I sent it back to Leupold to have the Varmint Hunter reticle put in it. They charged me for the reticle, as expected, but they also went through the scope mechanicals and replaced most of it. That was a nice touch.

I will also specifically suggest the 4.5-14x40 scope and the VH reticle.
Old November 19, 2019, 11:51 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

My preference would be Leupold.

Nikons don't last. Burris has always let me down. Bushnell burned me on an Elite 4200. ...And on down the list of popular brands.

I buy Leupold when it matters. If I need to go cheap, it's Redfield (by Leupold).
For anything cheaper, one might as well just get a Tasco.
Old November 19, 2019, 02:35 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Define 'some abuse'.
Flying or driving West will matter. Any good hard case will keep any commercial scope reasonably safe. You need to check 'zero' when you get to where you're hunting anyway.
There are several Bergara 308's too. That shouldn't make any difference though.
Old November 19, 2019, 04:34 PM   #8
taylorce1

You can pick up a VX3I Leupold 3.5-10x40 or 4.5-14X40 in that price range, and if you look you might find a VX5 2.5-10X40 that has been discontinued for slightly over $500. The Vortex Razor Light Hunter scopes are pretty reasonable for the recently discontinued models as well they would be the 1.5-8X32 and 2-10X40. I'd also look into Nikon Monarch scopes since you like the Prostaff scopes.
Old November 19, 2019, 07:51 PM   #9
jmr40

Nikon is apparently getting out of the rifle scope business. You might pick up one cheap.

But you can do better. A Leupold VX-3i is never a bad choice. They come with multiple options as to reticle choice and other options. Some are priced pretty cheap right now.

Right at the upper end of your budget, but this is my favorite scope. Meopta has been making this scope for years and allowing other manufacturers to put their badging on it. It is the same scope as the now discontinued Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40. Cabelas used to offer this scope with their name on it as well.

https://www.swfa.com/meopta-3-9x40-m....html?___SID=U

I've had one of the Zeiss branded versions for years and when Cabelas discontinued them at $250 each I bought 2.

Winston Churchill
Old November 19, 2019, 09:05 PM   #10
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Define 'some abuse'
Basically If I were to drop it, I dont want it to break. (reasonable height) I want it to hold zero. I see a lot of you guys like the Leupold, VX3's. I will definitely look into those.

I bought a B14 hunter, so it basically a pure hunting rifle. How about the Trijicon's? I am seeing deals on those too.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 20, 2019, 10:11 AM   #11
603Country

My brother got a Bergara B14, and man that thing is accurate. Using 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and H4350 powder, we found a great load quickly for his 6.5CM.

As for scope toughness, that older Leupold VX3 I mentioned earlier held up perfectly when I fell on it. I was climbing into a deer blind (4 feet up approx) on a wooden ladder when the rung I was holding on to broke. I fell backwards onto rocky ground, landing on the rifle and scope. That hurt. Later, when a nice buck showed up, I shot him at about 80 yards, so the scope was still ‘on’ (or close to it).

Bought a Leupold M8 6 power at a gun show in the 80’s, or maybe a bit earlier than that. Used it for years, sold it and the rifle to a brother. He used it for years, and a year or two ago brought it to me to sight in. The scope was broken ( loose lens). I sent that 45 year old scope to Leupold, and they sent me a new scope. I am a happy Leupold customer.
Old November 21, 2019, 12:47 AM   #12
bamaranger

Leupold

I'm a Leupold guy too. The newest Leupolds I've got are a pair of fixed power FX-II's , followed by a VArI-X-III, and a number VARI-X-IIc and M8's. All of those have given very good service and despite their age, provide more than enough clarity to take game in any reasonable light. NONE have ever had zero or fog/seal issues and most get hunted as much or more than most due to our long deer season here in 'Bama ( near 3 months).

I've had several back to Leupold for reticle changes, for which they charge a fee, but they also overhaul the scope at that time, which certainly has helped in the optics providing good service. I've got a few other name brands, but Leupold is tops w/ me.
Old December 10, 2019, 05:17 PM   #13
Maxx515

It would be really awesome if we could add some night vision thing to it, cause for example I love to act in the dark. Or at least one thermal monocular would help as well. When I've searched for thermal and night monoculars, I have find only one resource ( here it is: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging ), which can not only sell you those optics goods, but also explain pros and cons of each model.

Last edited by Maxx515; December 11, 2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old December 11, 2019, 05:40 PM   #14
reynolds357

For pure durability, Leupold. Dollar for dollar, Leupold does not match its competition in glass, but it is durability king in the price range mentioned.
Old December 13, 2019, 05:39 PM   #15
Scorch

Quote:
Basically If I were to drop it, I dont want it to break.
About 30 years ago, a customer of mine brought in a Weatherby Mark V with a Leupold 3.5-10 that had been dropped off a rimrock in Nevada, dropped about 50' onto rocks. The body of the scope was bent, but the scope still held zero. He bought a new scope and gave me the scope if I wanted it. I shipped it to Leupold, they sent me a new scope. Score!

Had a customer who was headed to Alaska, went to the range a week before leaving and his older Leupold scope was not adjusting. Called Leupold, they sent a scope to the Fairbanks airport to meet him when he got there. Score!

I sent an older Leupold scope I picked up in trade to the factory for service, got a call from the repair tech that the scope could not be repaired and would I be interested in a current production model to replace it? Score!

So, while people say their scope is as good as a Leupold, their customer service is not, and that is part of what you are paying for when you buy a Leupold scope. Buy a Leupold.

And yes, I have bought other scopes over the years. A Burris 4-12X Diamond scope that lasted a few years before dying that Burris would not repair under warranty, a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X for my new AR build that you cannot see 22 caliber holes at 100 yds with, a BDC scope for my Ruger 77/22 Match/Target that works fine but is not really clear, a 4X Burris that lives on my 10/22. None of them are as good as a Leupold that would have cost just a little bit more. Now I buy Leupolds and don't worry about it.
Old December 16, 2019, 03:50 AM   #16
std7mag

If your gonna use your scope as a hammer, get a Nightforce!

$300-500 range would get you into the lower end Viper.
Or a VX3 from Leupold.
Personally i'd go the Leupold of those 2.

Actual hunting range with the 308 is still probably going to be 400 yards or less. This for enough speed and energy for a clean kill.

Myself, i've been buying Sightron scopes as of late, (past 2 years).
1 STAC 4-20X50 which i don't recommend for a hunting rifle. $400
1 Field Target series 4-12X40.$200
1 SIH 3-9X40. $132
All have an MOA type reticle, my preference. All available as a duplex also.
Good glass. Clear edge to edge.
And adjustments track well.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 16, 2019, 09:39 AM   #17
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Basically If I were to drop it, I dont want it to break. (reasonable height) I want it to hold zero.
If the rifle's dropped 2 feet upside down and the scope front or back end lands on the ground first, that'll bend the scope and zero lost. Moreso with aluminum tubes than steel tubes and on rocks than dirt.

Take a backup scope that's zeroed......just in case......

Last edited by Bart B.; December 16, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old December 16, 2019, 11:42 AM   #18
pete2

Something with Leupold on it.
Old December 16, 2019, 01:23 PM   #19
std7mag

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4bZZTa8M5wI

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 17, 2019, 08:23 PM   #20
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
About 30 years ago, a customer of mine brought in a Weatherby Mark V with a Leupold 3.5-10 that had been dropped off a rimrock in Nevada, dropped about 50' onto rocks. The body of the scope was bent, but the scope still held zero. He bought a new scope and gave me the scope if I wanted it. I shipped it to Leupold, they sent me a new scope. Score!

Had a customer who was headed to Alaska, went to the range a week before leaving and his older Leupold scope was not adjusting. Called Leupold, they sent a scope to the Fairbanks airport to meet him when he got there. Score!

I sent an older Leupold scope I picked up in trade to the factory for service, got a call from the repair tech that the scope could not be repaired and would I be interested in a current production model to replace it? Score!

So, while people say their scope is as good as a Leupold, their customer service is not, and that is part of what you are paying for when you buy a Leupold scope. Buy a Leupold.

And yes, I have bought other scopes over the years. A Burris 4-12X Diamond scope that lasted a few years before dying that Burris would not repair under warranty, a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X for my new AR build that you cannot see 22 caliber holes at 100 yds with, a BDC scope for my Ruger 77/22 Match/Target that works fine but is not really clear, a 4X Burris that lives on my 10/22. None of them are as good as a Leupold that would have cost just a little bit more. Now I buy Leupolds and don't worry about it.
I have never had any issue with Burris customer service. IMHO its better than Leupold.
Old December 18, 2019, 04:22 PM   #21
SWISS M109

Hunting out West

In answer to your scope needs for your new Bergara, I have a suggestion. I just bought it for my SIG 7mm RemMag. Its the Sierra 3 BDX System. It consists of the scope and the rangefinder KILO1400, in my case.
If you intend to shoot at longer distances, boy this is going to make your hunting life a breeze. Forget about bullet drop/hold over. Its all taken care for you and then some. Just a suggestion