The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 3, 2019, 07:53 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

Aguila Mini-shells

Has anybody used these? Are they good or bad? I was planning on using them in my Remington 870 (3" chamber) home defense gun, but don't want to use them if there are feeding issues. I heard someone say they're so short, they can accidently go vertical in the chamber and cause a feeding malfunction.
Old September 3, 2019, 09:57 AM   #2
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue711 View Post
Has anybody used these? Are they good or bad? I was planning on using them in my Remington 870 (3" chamber) home defense gun, but don't want to use them if there are feeding issues. I heard someone say they're so short, they can accidently go vertical in the chamber and cause a feeding malfunction.
I bought a box and shot them in my old Savage pump..if moving the pump slowly and deliberately, they actually fed also. Less recoil...but expensive..If you have a Mossberg, they make a little insert that makes feeding more reliable..PLUS more in the magazine..

Not worth it, IMHO..but buy a box and try them out...I'm thinking that w/o some gadget made for them, they won't reliably feed.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old September 3, 2019, 11:05 AM   #3
FITASC

More expensive and not worth the risk of a misfeed or jam for a HD gun. For range time grins and giggles, have at it. I had them jam every other round on a Keltec bullpup
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 3, 2019, 11:48 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

just what you need when out in the marsh and
the game warden walks up.
Old September 3, 2019, 12:03 PM   #5
MTT TL

They jam up my KSG. They don't provide enough energy to reliably cycle any of my SA shotguns (1100, 11-87, S2000).
Old September 3, 2019, 02:39 PM   #6
Lrodrgz

I tried a box of mini slugs and another of mini buckshot in my Benelli Nova, both from Aguila. The mini slugs would jam during extraction, the plastic shell would not come out completely from the chamber and had to be removed by hand. The mini buckshot worked perfectly without any issues in feeding or extraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 3, 2019, 05:08 PM   #7
davidsog

Anything that makes a reliable system unreliable or suspect is not an option in my HD scenario.

Especially if I have to pay a lot of money for that unreliability.

Old September 3, 2019, 06:43 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue711 View Post
I've tried to run some "shorty shells" (don't remember which ones) in an 870 with a 3" chamber. They seemed to be ok as long as I worked the action pretty slowly and deliberately. If I ran with any kind of speed, the shells didn't feed right at all. Flipped vertical, maybe got turned backwards, you name it. If you are thinking about using them for HD, please get out and run some rounds hard to be sure they'll feed right.
Old September 4, 2019, 07:57 AM   #9
MarkCO

Spotty in some guns as others have already said. They do run reliably in the Win 1300s, Win SXPs and FN P12s, which all have the same basic design. Of course they also work in break open guns.
Old September 4, 2019, 08:11 AM   #10
TrueBlue711

Thanks for the input. I bought a box to test next time I go out, but it sounds like I'll stick to 2-3/4" HD rounds.
Old September 12, 2019, 02:57 AM   #11
bamaranger

Warwolf

There is an outfit named "War Wolf" that sells exotic shotgun ammo, and one of their offerings is a roundball (1-1/8 oz!) in a case that is shorter than 2-3/4", but longer than the Aquilla Mini's, think "midi". The object is to create a longer case that will cycle more reliably than the Aquilla's, but still short enough to allow an increase in mag capacity.

I have NO IDEA if these cartridges cycle reliably or not. But they are out there and I mention them for discussion. I also have no idea if they offer their "midi" shell with other payloads.
Old September 12, 2019, 07:18 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

The Italian Nobelsport company sell 2 1/4 inch shells that may work in standard pump guns.
Like all shorter shells, none I know of will function in a semi-auto gun.

Also, Federal is marketing 1 3/4 inch mini-shells with birdshot, #4 buckshot, and slug.
These are said by Federal to be full power shells, not as reduced as the Aquila.
Old September 13, 2019, 02:34 AM   #13
TruthTellers

They are low recoil and increase capacity in tube magazines.

They can cause feeding issues, even with the adapters, but those events are quite rare.

They are more expensive than they ought to be.

They are plenty effective for home defense and I would recommend, if proven reliable, they be used instead of the 2 3/4 00 Buck most use.