The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 22, 2018, 11:35 AM   #1
CalmerThanYou

To own a AK-47??

Recently I have been attracted to the idea of adding a pre-ban AK-47 to my collection. I think I have it narrowed down to a Polytech 56s-2 side folder.
Company has a bit of a sketchy past in late 90's with import activities, but I guess that is all part of the history.

Any advice on what to look for or current pricing. I want one new or near new in box with contents.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:11 PM   #2
MC 1911

No Polytech's were imported in the 90's. Imports stopped in 89 with the ban. Your best bet is GB or several of the AK sites. Be prepared to spend some money & do your research!

I've had about every type of preban Chinese AK & my favorites are the Clayco's and the Legend. If you just want a shooter look at the Mak 90's.
Old October 22, 2018, 09:16 PM   #3
TXAZ

I had a couple of Norinco’s, excellent weapons. The Polytech’s were top and a bit out of my price range at the time.
If you can swing a Poly, you won’t regret it later.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 22, 2018, 11:26 PM   #4
50 shooter

I have owned a couple MAK 90's and they ran flawlessly, I would buy another without thinking about it.

Currently I own a Bulgarian SLR 95, which has to be one of the best AK variants ever made. If you can find either one at a good price, buy it.
No time for rearranging.
Old October 23, 2018, 08:33 AM   #5
Erno86

The side folder Gen2 PSAK47 --- $499 --- from Palmetto State Armory, outfitted with Magpul furniture, doesn't look too bad.

--- George Orwell
Old October 23, 2018, 08:44 PM   #6
kymasabe

I've had piles of AK's, including some everyone said were garbage and not to buy. One of my early ones was a Hesse that I never had a problem with. I eventually bought an I.O. (Inter-Ordnance) AK47C that everyone reported was junk, and mine ran flawlessly for years. Both were more accurate than the half a dozen Saiga's I owned. Absolutely best AR I ever owned was an ArmoryUSA AK, built in Houston on new receiver with Bulgarian parts and blond furniture. That gun had awesome fit and finish and I regret getting rid of it. Is the only AK I wish I still had. Paired with 20-round tanker mags was a great setup.
Old October 23, 2018, 08:51 PM   #7
CalmerThanYou

The one I was after is just a bit out of my reach. made the seller an offer but we could not come to terms. Guess it gives me more time to do research.
Old October 25, 2018, 09:56 AM   #8
highpower3006

I have had, and still have, more than a few AKs. A side folding pre ban Chinese is going to set you back some serious coin, but if you find the right one, it will be worth it. If you want to save a bit of money, try and find a milled MAK90 and convert it yourself. They are in essence a Polytech Legend, but about a third the price. If you find a stamped, square back receiver MAK, they can easily be turned into a spiker with furniture and a folding bayonet assembly.

Regardless of anyone's anecdotal experience, stay away from US made AKs in general and IO and Century RAK/C39V1/2 rifles. Do some research and you will find that generally speaking they tend to fall apart after a while. Search AKOU videos on Youtube and see how they held up under a 5000 round test.

Deals do turn up from time to time, but if you do see one at a decent price, I would strongly suggest not dithering around and jump on it as soon as you see it. Chinese AKs are popular with collectors and one at a realistic price will sell pretty fast.

Both of these post ban MAK90s were debanned by me, a process that I found to be relatively easy.

Milled MAK 90, one of the nicest shooting AKs I have ever fired and is as smooth as my Valmet M62/S:

MAK90 on the left and genuine Polytech spiker on the right:

There are other AKs out there that are quality firearms, but my advice is to stay away from home builds in general. There are some kit builds by certain manufacturers that are nice rifles, but, IMO, they will always command less money than a real factory built rifle. I have AKs built by a company called Two Rivers and they do top notch work. If you decide to by a numbers matching kit and have them build one on a quality receiver you have a great shooting gun. Be advised though, that you will easily have a grand or better in such a build.
Old October 25, 2018, 10:41 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
The side folder Gen2 PSAK47 --- $499 --- from Palmetto State Armory, outfitted with Magpul furniture, doesn't look too bad.
But it's no Polytech in terms of quality or desirability.
Old October 25, 2018, 04:15 PM   #10
CalmerThanYou

Highpower those examples look very nice. Thanks for all the advice guys.

I am willing to take my time and spend up as it is my intent to own just one AK, but I want it to be a top level addition.
Old November 3, 2018, 11:17 PM   #11
Ignition Override

On the Gunbroker main page, after you Sign In, click "Advanced". On the next page click "Completed Items" and make sure that the category is Firearms.

Type in MAK 90 etc. A green band is seen by the photos of guns which Sold, along with the date.

* highpower3006 also knows about AKOU videos: "AK Operators Union".
When a rifle shows very premature wear (sometimes at 1,000 or 3,000 etc rds.), he shows you the bolt, bolt carrier or trunnion etc.

Am glad that my AKs--all were imported--don't require headspace checks with their fairly moderate round counts. Please excuse me; I need to go clean my dirty .380 Russian Makarov (Izhevsk) and Romanian SAR-1.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 3, 2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old November 15, 2018, 03:30 PM   #12
HistoryJunky

As others have mentioned, AKOU is a great source of info for AKs.

I too would love to own a Chinese AK someday, but I can't justify the cost.

I'm just a pleb with a couple Yugos.

Imported AKs are where it's at though. Never understood why American manufacturers couldn't get what is supposed to be a simple rifle right.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old November 17, 2018, 06:35 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

My first AK was a pre ban Norinco. Back then I still had excellent eyesight and off the bench with factory irons could ring the 300 yd gong at the local range about 80% of the time. I sold it for a bundle after the ban, then a couple years later bought my MAC 90, it also shot just as well as my first one and I still have it to this day. Unfortunately my eyesight didn't last as long as the rifle.
Old November 19, 2018, 04:03 PM   #14
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
Recently I have been attracted to the idea of adding a pre-ban AK-47 to my collection. I think I have it narrowed down to a Polytech 56s-2 side folder.

Company has a bit of a sketchy past in late 90's with import activities, but I guess that is all part of the history.

Any advice on what to look for or current pricing. I want one new or near new in box with contents.

Any time anyone asks me if they should buy a new gun:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2018, 04:13 PM   #15
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post
As others have mentioned, AKOU is a great source of info for AKs.

I too would love to own a Chinese AK someday, but I can't justify the cost.

I'm just a pleb with a couple Yugos.

Imported AKs are where it's at though. Never understood why American manufacturers couldn't get what is supposed to be a simple rifle right.

Probably have AR15 fans at the factory sabotaging them.

I’m still interested in an AK even though I’m not sold on the stock. I just like the idea. Idk why. But everyone and their mother and sister and 3rd cousin has an AR variant.

Old November 19, 2018, 04:40 PM   #16
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
Probably have AR15 fans at the factory sabotaging them.

I’m still interested in an AK even though I’m not sold on the stock. I just like the idea. Idk why. But everyone and their mother and sister and 3rd cousin has an AR variant.

You can get a NATO length stock that has a closer to standard LOP if that's what you mean. Plenty of aftermarket stocks out there. Even stock adapters to use AR stocks.

Old November 19, 2018, 04:49 PM   #17
Pem Tech

My Egyptian MAADI AKM was cheap back in the early 90's. It has a stamped receiver (Would like to have a milled one day), is light, rugged and will eat any ammo it is fed. My only gripe is the difficulty mounting optics.
Suggestions?
Old November 19, 2018, 04:50 PM   #18
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post
You can get a NATO length stock that has a closer to standard LOP if that's what you mean. Plenty of aftermarket stocks out there. Even stock adapters to use AR stocks.

Yea. Idk. I’m a shotgun shooter and way more dangerous with an 870. So the way it goes to my shoulder is just odd. But if I do get one I will probably change the stock. The wood just looks better. Heck. I could probably make it starts with how much wood is down up north Florida at my parent’s place.

Old November 19, 2018, 04:56 PM   #19
RC20

MAK-90 works, doesn't have to be milled.

The stamped is the thickest stamping in the world.

If you buy one with the TH stock remember that there are rules on changing that.

Term is
Quote:
"922r compliant"
More or less, it needs 6 American made parts to do so (magazine counts and a gun with no magazine in it is not functional per the list (check it yourse3lf of course)

Don't put a foreign magazines in it, otherwise it becomes an issue

The easier way is a Deadwood Stock (US and 3 parts, Magpul Magazine (3 US parts)

You really don't want to change internal parts as they are as good as they get.
Old November 20, 2018, 08:58 AM   #20
ed308

I've got a straight cut Norinco Mak90 with a thumb hole stock. Haven't shot it in years. Have thought about selling it as is or converting it. Didn't realize a Magpul mag was 3 parts. In order to use Chinese mags, what other parts would you convert other that the stocks to get to 6?

RC20: Are you referring Irowwood stocks? Haven't heard of Deadwood stocks.

Last edited by ed308; November 20, 2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old November 20, 2018, 09:11 AM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
Because those American-made rifles are designed to a price point to sell to civilian buyers on the civilian market. As such, corners are cut with regards to materials and QC compared to the foreign-made rifles that are built on a line where most of the output is manufactured to fulfill military contracts.
Old November 20, 2018, 01:30 PM   #22
n4aof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
My first AK was a pre ban Norinco. Back then I still had excellent eyesight and off the bench with factory irons could ring the 300 yd gong at the local range about 80% of the time. I sold it for a bundle after the ban, then a couple years later bought my MAC 90, it also shot just as well as my first one and I still have it to this day. Unfortunately my eyesight didn't last as long as the rifle.
I still have my original Norinco MAK90. Not exactly a tack driver but entirely adequate (quite a bit more accurate than "everyone knows" an AK is supposed to be)