The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Do You Shoot Lead?
Yep, for many reasons including me being cool and not a sissy 86 90.53%
No only jacketed or plated for me, I'm a sissy (nose upturned) 6 6.32%
I don't but am thinking about it 3 3.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 2, 2018, 09:43 PM   #1
huntinaz

Who Here Shoots Lead?

I am curious. Handgun or rifle, if you shoot lead bullets answer yes. If not, answer no. If you fit into category 3, well, might I say go for it and stop being a #2
Old October 2, 2018, 09:49 PM   #2
5whiskey

I shoot primarily lead in pistol. From mild 45acp to wild (well kind of) 357. I have not loaded any lead for rifle. I would like to, especially heavy 220s in 8x57. I do not have a 30-30 or 45-70 right now, but if I did I would shoot nothing.but lead from them.

To elaborate a little furfher, many report problems with lead shaving when loading lead projectiles. I've never had a problem with this using standard cheap lee dies, and I seat and crimp in one step.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old October 2, 2018, 09:51 PM   #3
huntinaz

In fact, I would't even consider shooting plated or jacketed out of my 45 Colt Vaquero or any other six gun. I did, don't tell anyone, but the other day I tested some hot jacketed rounds out of the rifle (Marlin 1894). They were stout but shot super low.

Loaded up some 260gr SWC, 8.3 and 8.7gr Herco earlier.
Old October 2, 2018, 09:53 PM   #4
huntinaz

Good man, 5whiskey. I hope your choices in whiskey are as sound as your choices in handgun bullets
Old October 2, 2018, 09:53 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

Probably 90% of my handloaded pistol ammo is lead, and probably 25% or my rifle ammo is lead.
Old October 2, 2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Chainsaw.

I most certainly do shoot lead, by casting my own. I have several moulds now for 355-358, 401, 430, and 454. I also have two rifle moulds, one for 30-30 which Ive had horrible accuracy issues with and one 230 grainer I use in 300 with decent results. I have half a ton of lead in ingots, most about 12bhn. Mostly I cast for handguns, I also powder coat. I enjoy it a little bit but mostly its a hobby to cut down on reloading cost, to insulate against the market some, and to be sure I can have bullets that will perform the way I want/need them to.

What bullet is that you are loading? I’ve been looking for a mould that will cast a shrt nosed wad cutter like that.
Old October 2, 2018, 10:33 PM   #7
Charlie98

I've been a mixed bag... I load lead in my revolver rounds, but shoot mostly jacketed in my automatic pistols. These days that's limited to .41MAG, .44SPC, and .45 Colt.

I used to be a die-hard jacketed rifle bullet guy, but have since changed my ways. I only load jacketed in 5.56mm and 7.62mm gas gun cartridges... everything else is lead. How about that....

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old October 3, 2018, 01:08 AM   #8
zxcvbob

Lead bullets for handguns, both revolver and auto, jacketed for rifles. Nothing wrong with lead in the right rifles, but I don't think it would be suitable in .223 and too much work to get it right in .30-06. (those are the rifles I shoot, and I don't shoot them much)

And a lot of the lead bullets I cast myself, but I also use some commercial cast bullets and soft swaged bullets.
Old October 3, 2018, 01:16 AM   #9
huntinaz

^^ agree

I'm not asking *only* lead, just if you shoot lead at all.

Only rifle I consistently load lead for is a Marlin 1894 45 COlt
Old October 3, 2018, 09:39 AM   #10
Old 454

Cast lead bullets for my 9mm.. 38/357 ..44mag/44 special...45acp .. 454 casull.
Cast hollow points for 9mm...38/357 and 45acp
Old October 3, 2018, 09:40 AM   #11
reddog81

I shoot lead in many handguns and rifles but didn't vote because I have no idea what being a sissy has to do with anything. Good luck not getting this thread closed with that kind of attitude.
Old October 3, 2018, 10:06 AM   #12
huntinaz

Quote:
I shoot lead in many handguns and rifles but didn't vote because I have no idea what being a sissy has to do with anything. Good luck not getting this thread closed with that kind of attitude.
Aww, now, I didn't realize we had such a sensitive bunch here. Ok that's a lie, I most certainly did.

I should have made more smileys in my post/poll to indicate gentle ribbing.

I am proud of you for shooting lead though!

Please let the record show, reddog81 shoots lead and the poll number for "yes" is actually one more than it says
Old October 3, 2018, 10:12 AM   #13
huntinaz

If you do or don't, feel free to post why/why not. This is a reloading forum after all.

So far I find it interesting that it's 10 to 1 yes, seems like a the commercial ammunition market has room for adjustment if you ask me. It used to be common place.

You lot that cast your own are extra tough BTW!
Old October 3, 2018, 10:13 AM   #14
reddog81

I'm not sensitive, but I do find it comical that the rifle round you consistently load lead for is .45 Colt
Old October 3, 2018, 10:17 AM   #15
reddog81

FWIW here's a picture of one of my casting sessions from last weekend. I also did 10 lbs of 350 grain .460 S&W bullets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 147 RN 20 LBS.JPG (112.7 KB, 42 views)
Old October 3, 2018, 10:32 AM   #16
huntinaz

Yeah buddy! And 350gr of cast for your 460 S&W is awesome

Let the record show, reddog81’s loading/casting practices are lower on the sissy scale than mine!

I figure to get into 30-30 lead and probably 45-70 down the line. Britches are too small as of yet
Old October 3, 2018, 10:35 AM   #17
mikld

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
It was a joke! Have another cup of coffee...

I shoot cast bullets about 20 times more than jacketed bullets. I only use jacketed bullets in my Garand (even though I have tried cast) and my 9mm "just in case" handloads. I have guns that have never seen a jacketed bullet as long as I've owned them (I got a Ruger SBH in '88 that hasn't seen a jacket since I purchased it). I don't count costs for my handloads, I cast because I like to make my own bullets...
Old October 3, 2018, 10:45 AM   #18
reddog81

I imagine .45-70 would be relatively easy and a huge costing saving given the nature of the round. I thought throwing giant chunks of lead down range is what the .45-70 is all about.
Old October 3, 2018, 11:46 AM   #19
RickB

I stopped shooting plain lead about twenty years ago.
After loading three or four brands in as many calibers, I decided the amount of lead and lube residue left in the gun, and in the press, was something I just didn't want to deal with.
I shoot mostly polymer-coated or plated pistol bullets, and jacketed rifle bullets.
Old October 3, 2018, 12:35 PM   #20
Don Fischer

Been shooting lead handgun bullet's for as long as I can remember. Few years ago started shooting them in rifle's and intended to hunt with them. Haven't hunted with them yet and may not ever, got this thing about bullet's and using good bullet's to kill big game. Lead probably will do it well but I keep thinking a jacketed bullet is the right answer. But down the road somewhere bullet's may get hard to find and I have a good supply of lead and the molds to stay able to hunt if need be.
Old October 3, 2018, 03:24 PM   #21
TailGator

I don't have the time to cast my own, and I only reload for handguns and I shoot primarily indoors, so I use plated bullets in large part. Real men don't worry about their masculinity.
Old October 3, 2018, 03:37 PM   #22
huntinaz

Lol. Believe me, I ain’t worried about it
Old October 3, 2018, 03:52 PM   #23
Sevens

I get the attempt at humor, let the record reflect that I'm not offended, and it is lame. I've been all over many forums and I hold this forum in the highest regard for handloading/reloading and this attempt at humor seems more at home at Taurusarmed or maybe the KelTec forums. I'm sure nobody will be offended at my opinion either.

I've been back and forth on lead. Way back when I started at the bench as a high school kid with no mentor, no internet and only a Speer#11, I started with commercial swaged lead slugs in .38 Special. I couldn't stomach the cost of jacketed in handgun but when plated bullets got rolling, I embraced them.

These days, I still load my share of lead -- a lot of 240gr LSWC in .44 Mag and tons of swaged HBWC for S&W 52's and PPC revolvers and the same in .32 Long for a Walther GSP. I've recently played with powder coated lead in .357 Mag for a Ruger 77/357 with good results. I also load a lot of jacketed as well, for my varmint gun in .223, for .357 Mag in my Coonan and my revolvers and definitely for .327 Federal.

Pretty sure there is plenty of room for all kinds.
Old October 3, 2018, 04:48 PM   #24
Paul B.

I've been reloading and shooting for 64 years. With some exceptions, I'd have to estimate that I shot my own home cast bullets probably 85 percent of the time in my reloads. That's for rifles and handguns. I loaded 175 gr. cast in the 30-30 for deer and they worked just fine. Same bullet in the 06 made for good target practice. Worked just fine in the .308 as well. I almost never use factory ammo in my handguns. In fact the only factory handgun ammo I have right now is what is in my CCW gun. Frankly, I would much prefer my hand load with a 158 gr. cast SWC.
There is something about being able to make your own bullets. If you have a supply of primers, the proper powder and the metal to cast, this bring about a certain feeling of independence. it's a good feeling.
Paul B.
Old October 3, 2018, 04:48 PM   #25
Salmoneye

The cartridges that I have become most enamored with lend themselves to being loaded with lead...

About the only bullets other than plain lead that I have shot in years are 9mm, and they are simply plated...