The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 9, 2018, 08:01 AM   #76
Lohman446

Quote:
Yes sir, it does everything I ask w/o beating me up in the process. I've killed more BIG deer with it than some folks will ever see and put the smack down on some coyotes at surprising ranges
Can't the same be said for basically any of the quarter bores, and the .243, through even the 270 and 6.5 that were originally discussed here.

We want to act like our preferred cartridge - be it the .243, the 25-06, the .257 Roberts, the 6.5 the .270 or a plethora of other options - is remarkably better than the rest of the plethora of options in there.

Its not.

Sorry. They are all FAR more alike than different and the only advantage one may have over the other is really pushing the boundaries of performance of that cartridge.
Old October 9, 2018, 01:38 PM   #77
bamaranger

"just say no to the Creedmoor"

Oh gosh, is that funny or what? Great line from an earlier post.....thanks fella!

The CM is getting a LOT of press, and many a good rifle is getting traded away for a CM that will never get shot past 300 yds at much of anything. The flat shooting qualities of CM really come into their own past that distance. I'd speculate that the avg whitetailer can't realize the ballistic advantages of the CM due to the short range nature of the hunts. Quite some time back, one of our posters commented that the "CM filled the gap for him BETWEEN (my caps) the .243 and the .270" and I think that comment is very apt. More than the .243, not quite up to the .270. All one would need if whitetails were the only quarry. But, in my mind, too much for even a "heavy varminter", and I think I'd like more gun for elk, not that I'll ever get to hunt one.

I've thought long and hard about a CM in the Kimber Hunter, light, portabable, no frills stock and finish, but I've got rifles on either side of the power niche, and just can't justify it.
Old October 10, 2018, 06:46 AM   #78
Mobuck

"but what kind of bullet do you use for your hunting? I figure it's a tricky thing picking the right bullet."

I'd been using a 100 grain BTSP as "universal" deer/coyote load until I began noticing a pattern of less than optimal penetration on the bigger bucks. We've shifted to more "trophy" type hunting and our farms are producing some bigger/older bucks that demand a bit more penetration and sometimes offer less than picture book shot presentations. Last year, I used Nosler "E-Tip" 100 grain ammo. Not enough use to really put in perspective but it does increase the penetration.
I'm taking the 25/06 on a cow elk hunt next month using 115 grain Nosler Partitions that are known to do the job.
Old October 10, 2018, 07:40 AM   #79
Picher

I also have a couple of .243s and .270s that do the trick. I didn't have a .243 when attending turkey shoots, etc., so bought the .270 so I could load 90 grain Sierras for offhand target shooting, after my .22-250 was banned. It wasn't totally successful that way, but I learned to appreciate it for deer hunting out to 400 yards or so.

We have a permanent blind where we can see deer up to 500 yards, but the bullet would hit tree limbs before getting that far. The .270 hasn't failed me out to 400 yards and that's plenty for Maine hunting.

I've shot 130 Ballistic Tips, 130 Hornady GMX for deer, and 140 Nosler Accubond for moose (1-shot kill on 860 lb. Bull at 270 yards last year). I may use Accubonds for deer this year, since they have a great reputation and are very accurate.
Old October 10, 2018, 08:15 AM   #80
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm taking the 25/06 on a cow elk hunt next month using 115 grain Nosler Partitions that are known to do the job.
I've read lot's of reports that the 115 partition is a DRT in the 25-06. I unfortunately only have 120 gr partitions on hand, but I think I'll try them out anyway.
Old October 10, 2018, 08:16 AM   #81
stagpanther

Quote:
after my .22-250 was banned
Not aware of any such ban in Maine.
Old October 10, 2018, 09:04 AM   #82
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder
You are certainly a fan of the 25-06.....
There was a certain, you know, "semi-famous" gunwriter back in the day who was "certainly a fan" of the .270... now people use that to fact to claim the superiority of that round over everything, possibly just shy of lightning from God himself.... yet the difference between a .270 and a .25-06 is about the width of this period -> . on each side of the bullet and about 1/2 the weight of a .22LR bullet in mass.

I'm not a huge fan of the .270 or the .25-06 in particular... but there are quite a few here that would say I'm "quite a fan" of the 7mm-08....

but I agree with Lohman446 "in the end, it simply does not matter".

But OP, the answer is 7mm-08
Old October 10, 2018, 01:53 PM   #83
stagpanther

Not hijacking the thread--blame it on Mobuck since he inspired me to throw together some partitions for my 25-06 savage axis and try them out. I only got a couple of groups tested before I was interrupted by the landowner's daughter and told I had to scoot. Things were looking promising with retumbo, until of course I pulled a shot in the group as I almost always do.

I did run them through labradar--when you see the retained efficiency of both velocity and energy it's easy to see why there's a "cult" following for the cartridge. Biggest drawback I see is that the barrel gets real hot real fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0605.JPG (102.8 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0606.JPG (83.5 KB, 216 views)
Old October 11, 2018, 07:31 AM   #84
Picher

Stagpanther: The .22-250 was NOT banned by IF&W for hunting.

It was banned at a particular turkey shoot because I won so many turkeys with it. Not really fair, since I actually shot several deer with it and they allowed another guy to use it, after I bought/used a .270 Win.
Old October 11, 2018, 07:41 AM   #85
stagpanther

Quote:
Stagpanther: The .22-250 was NOT banned by IF&W for hunting.

It was banned at a particular turkey shoot because I won so many turkeys with it. Not really fair, since I actually shot several deer with it and they allowed another guy to use it, after I bought/used a .270 Win.
I didn't think so--got a buddy that uses a 22-250 but I don't know on what except maybe yotes. If I read the quirky rules correctly--I think we can use anything from 22 lr mag rimfire on up!
Old October 14, 2018, 08:53 PM   #86
Picher

For many years, the largest deer harvested in Maine was killed with a .222 Remington. Saw that at the State House in the Sixties.
Old October 15, 2018, 11:46 AM   #87
Rifletom

Really don't have a dog in this fight. I do have a .270. I like it. No 6.5 CM or .243. But, I'd like to think that powder and bullet improvements for the .243 have come a long, long way in recent years to improve that round.[.243].
Old October 15, 2018, 12:31 PM   #88
Picher

I suggest you keep the .243 and the .270. Ditch the idea of the 6.5, since you already have the bases covered.
Old October 15, 2018, 01:39 PM   #89
RC20

While there is nothign wrong with 6.5, there is nothing magic about it that makes it better than a 270 (for hunting)

If you were buying all new? Worth a considerations. What you have is two very good hunting rifles.

6.5 was underrated for a very long time as a hunting cartridge (me included) , its just getting its just due. But the fad is really in target shooting and that is moving to 6mm now.

Certainly for a second gun if you didn't have a 243 is a good choice (also low recoil) but its not going to magically do anything better.

I disagree its a fad for other than target, for target since the 308 came out there has been one fad after another. Whole different ball game.

Someone came out with a short 30 caliber PCP because it made a bigger whole and would sometimes be the difference between two shooters. Thats not real world hunting by any stretch.
Old October 23, 2018, 06:49 PM   #90
gw44

Just load up the 270 and go hunt have fun !!!
Old October 23, 2018, 07:17 PM   #91
LineStretcher

Of course, if you replace Creedmore with Weatherby you have one hell of a hunting rifle. I just bought one today. Weatherby says it's the fastest 6.5 in the world. I'll put the Labradar on it and see.
Old October 24, 2018, 07:59 PM   #92
Picher

Very nice!!
Old October 26, 2018, 09:15 AM   #93
IdaD

I see no point to a 6.5 CM given what you already have, and I'd take a 270 over a 6.5 for general hunting purposes anyway.
Old October 27, 2018, 11:15 PM   #94
dvdcrr

Have the best of both worlds and go with 270 WSM. Faster than 270 but in a short action!
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old October 28, 2018, 05:44 PM   #95
jimbob86

Quote:
there is not a nickles worth of difference between the 6.5 CM and 270 win.
You are either bad at math or have not seen the prices of hunting ammo ...... CM was about 60 nickels more at the local big box mart ......
Old October 28, 2018, 05:53 PM   #96
stagpanther

Quote:
You are either bad at math or have not seen the prices of hunting ammo ...... CM was about 60 nickels more at the local big box mart ......
I've shot American Whitetail--an excellent over-the-counter ammo made by hornady--made in both Creedmoor and 270 win--logging onto midway usa I see there isn't even a penny's difference in price between them.
Old October 28, 2018, 06:02 PM   #97
sirgilligan

The .270 can kill coyotes and elk. So can the .243.
So can the 6.5.

If a new rifle is exciting and gets you out more or involved more then get it.
Old October 28, 2018, 06:27 PM   #98
jimbob86

Quote:
logging onto midway usa I see there isn't even a penny's difference in price between them.
Including shipping, are they both under $16 ? If the .270Win was, then you got hosed.