The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2018, 11:53 AM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
Labradars CS is that it sucks.
Really? When I call the US rep guy up I usually have trouble getting him off the phone after getting the information I need--and then some.
Old October 11, 2018, 03:01 PM   #27
hounddawg

The reason I said that is because anytime a CS rep says oh our product is fine it is just that the Samsung and their bluetooth low energy mode that the problem it grates on my nerves. SAmsung has 25 % of the market in the USA. Ir seems the Labradar has problems connecting with some Apple phones, that is another 50 % of the market. That's a lot of devices to have problems yet the Labradar is not at fault .....right

That same Samsung bluetooth energy has no issues connecting to my cars hands free mode the remote speaker on my deck, my smart TV, my sound sytem amplifier or any of half a dozen toy drones which use a bluetooth controller.

I would preferred he just been hones and said , our firmware is a work in progress and at the moment it sucks for some users. I appreciate honesty.

The second reason I don't get a warm fuzzy from the guy is I asked him if he would like to participate in the thread on Accurate Shooter on this topic as a lot of manufacturers do. That way he could have addressed these issues not just for me but several other purchasers and potential purchasers. Reps from half a dozen companies participate in the forums and yes sometimes they get blasted but they hang in there fix their problems.

Sorry but this guy isn't RCBS or Hornady or even Jeff Block at On Target Software, that guy helped not only fix a problem he spent another 15 min on the phone giving me tips and pointers on the software and made sure I understood every item on the menu and how it worked .

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan
Old October 11, 2018, 05:34 PM   #28
stagpanther

My unit tends to get buggy when the power level is low on the battery.
Old October 11, 2018, 06:02 PM   #29
hounddawg

Quote:
My unit tends to get buggy when the power level is low on the battery.
I keep not just one but two fully charged power banks with me when I go to the range now. My target cam application eats the battery on my tablet like it is a appetizer so now I have two reasons to carry power banks. Twenty bucks for a power bank is cheaper than a case of Duracells. I tried rechargeable AA's but they did not last an hour.

in my opinion Labradar 2.0 need three improvements

1. a better aiming system
2. ditch the AA's altogether and include a replaceable Lipo instead
3. A completely redesigned device application with better design and can connect.

Ever see a CE chrono using Digital Link? Labradar should shamelessly copy it's menus and options, that ap rocks with the exception of data export. It mangles data, I used to hand input the data from the ap rather than export it and try and unjumble it. Labradar needs to keep the SD card just as it is, that is the best part of the system so far for me and the real reason I am not returning it. As long as it has good data on the SD I can retro fit the other items.

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by hounddawg; October 11, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old October 12, 2018, 06:18 PM   #30
Doublehelix3216

Quote:
@Doublehelix

Yeah I am running 1.2.3 rolled it back to 1.1.5 just to see if that helped, it did not. Reinstalled 1.2.3.

As long as the SD card gets the data I will just operate it on the unit like most of the people here do. I just find it irritating and my first impression of Labradars CS is that it sucks.

I am glad I bought mine from Brownells so that if I have any serious issues I won't have to deal with the distributor again. I got the impression that he doesn't really give a damn if it works or not and will find a way to blame something other than the product if it fails completely
Yeah, that does suck. I have heard from others about the arrogance of the LR team in general, although I have never experienced it in person. Customer service and attention to detail are the two most important things in keeping customer loyalty, and it sound like they have failed in both areas.

I have always said that someday soon, maybe after patents run their course, LR will have competition. Someone is going to do it better and cheaper, and then we will see who the arrogant one is.

I hope they get things worked out for you. As I mentioned earlier, I am 100% satisfied and happy with the product, but it does not make me proud when I hear how they are treating you and others.
Old October 12, 2018, 06:25 PM   #31
mehavey

After my 1st day of frustration, I emailed LABRADAR with the specifics.
Next morning I got a reply w/ steps 1, 2, 3 for solution.
100% success since across the board.

Very responsive, and quite nice/helpful tone to the whole communication.
Old October 12, 2018, 07:00 PM   #32
hounddawg

Quote:
Next morning I got a reply w/ steps 1, 2, 3 for solution.
100% success since across the board.
I am not going to copy a personal email exchange onto a forum board but suffice to say my experience was completely different than yours. Of course I realize that this guy cannot fix what is essentially badly programmed software. However a simple "we are aware of this issue and are working on a new version" would have been nice to hear.

Old October 13, 2018, 11:41 AM   #33
hounddawg

made a little case for mine yesterday afternoon. It had a padded interior, a removable tripod head, and enough extra storage room inside to hold the tripod head, 2 power packs and the USB cord. I used one of the tips provided earlier in the thread and attached a small piece of velcro to the outside of the case and each power pack to secure the pack to the case to prevent them from falling.

It is certainly not jewelry box quality but considering pretty much everything including the hardware came for scraps left over from old projects I am not going to complain. It is really sturdy and stable for use on a bench or shooting pad. The tripod head (Amazon $20) was purchased for the project allows easy adjustment and is really stable when locked in

Just for grins I tried to connect using the Samsung 6 and it connected 5 times in a row. No firmware on either the Labradar or the phone has changed since I last tried to connect. Go figure I will still operate it without the ap just to be safe.

Last edited by hounddawg; October 13, 2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old October 13, 2018, 07:40 PM   #34
TXAZ

I'm at a (mostly) .50 BMG match this weekend. One guy has a new labradar.
He's having similar problems that I did getting it to trigger on the BMG rounds. Acoustically, I'm confident it's an incredibly loud round.

Anyway, I'd hope labradar is reading this. We discussed it might be a really poorly and incorrect manual (which is max sensitvity: 1, 5 or 8 (the manual says the range is 1-5, the labradar goes to 8)...
It's a great idea but either the user manual and interface (inhales like a serious vacuum) or there's some technical problem with the unit that labradar either can't figure out or is blowing it off.
Old October 13, 2018, 09:38 PM   #35
hounddawg

I am going give mine a workout at the range next week. 2 trips planned , one center fire and one rimfire. I am going to try out the carpentry square trick for aiming and when burning some rimfire try arming and disarming with the ap to see if it drops out in the middle of strings. Assuming it is in a mood to connect that day.

I think the foundation of this unit is solid but on firmware and ap wise it is weak. Good news is software is easily fixable if they get some knowledgeable programmers to write good code.

Old October 13, 2018, 11:19 PM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm at a (mostly) .50 BMG match this weekend. One guy has a new labradar.
He's having similar problems that I did getting it to trigger on the BMG rounds. Acoustically, I'm confident it's an incredibly loud round.

Anyway, I'd hope labradar is reading this. We discussed it might be a really poorly and incorrect manual (which is max sensitvity: 1, 5 or 8 (the manual says the range is 1-5, the labradar goes to 8)...
It's a great idea but either the user manual and interface (inhales like a serious vacuum) or there's some technical problem with the unit that labradar either can't figure out or is blowing it off.

What kind of error was your friend getting? Was it simply no data returned--but triggered--or did he get a white screen that basically said failure to acquire? Or did it just sit there with nothing happening at all?

I've never shot a 50 bmg--though I do have a few "big bangers" that can rock the unit with muzzle blast if placed too closely. When I first got my system I initially had frequent problems getting the unit to work--mostly due to my "getting a feel" for the appropriate positioning of the unit relative to the muzzle blast that is emitted from the weapon. The pressure wave from the muzzle blast--especially sideways/rearward ported brakes-- can be enough to "overwhelm" the unit if placed too closely.

Quote:
I think the foundation of this unit is solid but on firmware and ap wise it is weak. Good news is software is easily fixable if they get some knowledgeable programmers to write good code.
Kinda --but at the hardware level all the unit is doing is emitting the doplar beam and "waiting to be told" it needs to acquire the flight of a projectile and track it.

I leave my unit set to "internal trigger" 12" projectile offset and trigger sensitivity 1 and it almost always works for every firearm as long as I get the relative positioning of the muzzle right. I haven't tried the external trigger connector cable input yet--maybe something like would help in the case of things like the 50 bmg.

I think I did use it once to track 17 hmr--but small fast moving bullets can be "dropped" so that the velocity distances reported don't make it out to 100 yds.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 14, 2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old October 15, 2018, 11:04 AM   #37
evtSmtx

labradar

I have one. it works fine. I mostly use it for rifle. Yah, you may need to read the manual. it wont take long
Old October 15, 2018, 08:21 PM   #38
hounddawg

I was very pleased with the Labradar itself today. I tested it with the .260 tactical (w/o brake) and .223 today. I put the unit 12 inches to the left of my barrel and 12 inches behind the muzzle. I used my home made peep sight and aimed down my row of flags. All settings were default except for units of measure and rifle mode. I fired and recorded 60 shots total with no errors or missed shots. You can't ask for better than that.

Android ap started out working but crapped the bed at around the 40 round mark. I was arming and disarming between strings when it happened so no data was lost

Labradar has it's warts but if you want good reliable data and don't mind a bit of a learning curve it is the only game in town.

Just my opinion of course

Last edited by hounddawg; October 15, 2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old October 16, 2018, 12:24 AM   #39
stagpanther

Quote:
Labradar has it's warts but if you want good reliable data and don't mind a bit of a learning curve it is the only game in town.
Ah grasshopper; and there you have it.

I'm a bit surprised you got it to acquire the bare muzzle (especially a 224) that much forward of the unit since typically device-less crowns send most of their report wave forward.
Old October 16, 2018, 05:22 AM   #40
hounddawg

I can measure later today to get a more exact number. I set my equipment up the same each time. Shooting mat, bipod mat etc., muzzle should end up in the same spot

Old October 17, 2018, 09:13 AM   #41
hounddawg

I set up for dry fire last eve and did a measurement on the Labradar. 12 Inches to the right side of the barrel and 16 inches back from the muzzle on the .223 and 14 inches back for the .260 which only has a 24 inch barrel

With a 10,500 mAh power pack I used less than 25% by disarming between strings over a 2 1/2 hour session

Tomorrow I will see if it will pick up .22 LR without going to a air rifle sensor

Old October 17, 2018, 05:01 PM   #42
mehavey

22LR Subsonic: Go Doppler
Old October 17, 2018, 05:57 PM   #43
Unclenick
Staff

I'm thinking of training a dog to fetch my unit back from the range. He'll be a Labradar Retriever.

The airgun microphone should handle even suppressed .22's.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 17, 2018, 07:29 PM   #44
hounddawg

@UncleNick

:::::groan::::

I am not all that interested in tracking .22 anyway. This is just a experiment to see if the unit will do it without needing external mic. I will start off with the internal mic, if it won't trigger I will try the dopplar, if that does not work, set it for pistol if that does not do the trick then I will know if I ever do want to track .22 I will need the external mic. If I were really interested in .22 LR velocity data I could use my optical, not that I really trust it now after comparing it's data to the Labradar's data. Eight years of dirt roads in the back of a Jeep took it's toll. I just hope the Labradar lasts that long

I just put my old CZ 452 a new stock, put a good scope on her and changed the trigger to a Rifle Basix. Tomorrow is zero the scope and play with some exotic (for me) ammo day. Also want to make sure this scope will get me to 200. I will be mostly shooting CCI standard velocity and I did a ballistics workup. It will be fun to see the SD's of high dollar vs $3.00 a box ammo though if I can get the Labradar to pick it up.

Last edited by hounddawg; October 17, 2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old October 17, 2018, 08:28 PM   #45
Carriertxv

Mine tracks .22 without any external mike.
Old October 17, 2018, 08:41 PM   #46
Unclenick
Staff

One of the interesting things about the 22 LR is the expansion ratio is so great that chamber tolerances have little effect on the final velocity of the bullet. The powder has burned and the gas expanded fully enough that bullet acceleration ceases at 16 to 19 inches and then it starts to slow. But there is enough pressure that it slows very gradually, with the result that velocity tends to be pretty consistent regardless of rifle barrel length in the usual 16 to 24 inch range. Thus, for as long as I can remember, match ammo has been used as a calibration check, tending to be within 50 fps of the label velocity in all rifles.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 17, 2018, 10:46 PM   #47
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm thinking of training a dog to fetch my unit back from the range. He'll be a Labradar Retriever.
Double groan--I've seen that line used before.
Old October 18, 2018, 10:21 AM   #48
PhillySoldier

Love mine and use it a lot. Ive only used it for pistol so far though. I havent had to test anything new yet for rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reload Testing.jpg (223.6 KB, 7 views)
Old October 18, 2018, 02:28 PM   #49
hounddawg

This morning it would not arm and then lost power altogether. The USB connector seems to have went bad and that was the final straw for me. It eats AA's rapidly so without a external power pack it is about useless in my opinion

Labradar gets 2 thumbs down from me. Grats to those that can get them to work, they are way to frustrating for me to consider a replaceing it with another one until a new and improved version hits the streets. I want something that works as advertised. first time and every time. It is a great concept but my early adopter days are over. I will wait for version 2 or a competitor to come up with a more reliable model. I have never in my life tried so hard to get something to work, I really wanted to like this thing but too many issues.

It has been packed and a return label printed and tonight I will order another Pro Chrono. My last one rode down many a dirt road and jeep trail and was 1/5th the cost of this thing and still worked reliably for 8 years

Oh well another 500 to use for my 6 x 47 Lapua project

Last edited by hounddawg; October 18, 2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old October 18, 2018, 02:38 PM   #50
stagpanther

Oh well...