The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 5, 2020, 10:55 PM   #1
Deltadart

Browning Mountain Rifle Rear Sight

I am replacing the rear sight on a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle, does anyone happen to know a brand of browning solution that will match or be very close to the original finish on these rifles.
Old October 6, 2020, 06:27 AM   #2
reinert

I've always had good luck using the tried and true Birchwood Casey's Plum Brown, especially on small parts. Clean up your metal as needed, DEGREASE COMPLETELY, and follow the directions on the bottle. Good stuff (IMO). Laurel Mountain Forge has a browning solution that evidently doesn't even need degreasing, nor heat, to complete the finish. Never tried it, though.

https://www.laurelmountainforge.com/barrel_brown.htm
Old October 6, 2020, 10:20 AM   #3
Pahoo

Good plan

Delta,
Have to compliment you on trying to match the brown finish and maintain the look. Even if you don't find a perfect match, it's still going to look good. Do you mind me asking what you are going to put back on? ....

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 6, 2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Deltadart

It is the full buckhorn that was originally on these rifles. I sent the rifle to a shop many years ago for some work, however the sight was damaged in the return not too bad but it's just there in front of me every time I take the rifle out. I finally found one in the white and would like to get this rifle back to original. I will get the Casey products to start with suggested by Reinert to start with. And see what kind of results that gives, if good then great. If not will try the Laurel Mountain product, go from there. I am also looking at a more period correct not adjustable than the OEM sight as long as I am at it.
Old October 6, 2020, 07:09 PM   #5
Pahoo

Good work

You are correct in that it came with a BuckHorn. Full or half, is debatable. I
have seen these available, in Mat-Black and they were also common on some Lymans. I'm sure you will make it look good .....

I'm still looking for a Keyed wedge for mine and have not had much luck.. ..

Be Safe!!!
Old October 6, 2020, 10:55 PM   #6
Deltadart

Actually I think you are correct it is a half buckhorn, also it is matt black. I ordered the Birchwood Casey plum brown solution, will see how it works out.
Old October 9, 2020, 12:32 PM   #7
Dave T

Pictures would add considerably to this thread's enjoyment and usefulness.

Just sayin',
Dave
Old October 9, 2020, 11:39 PM   #8
Deltadart

Here is a photo of the sight I will be browning to match attempt to match the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBMR1.jpg (282.3 KB, 17 views)
Old October 10, 2020, 10:28 AM   #9
reinert

Deltadart,

If that sight can be disassembled, all the better for your BC plum brown application process. I think you'll like the results, just follow the directions on the bottle; very easy to do, and very quickly done. Just make sure to completely degrease before you start, and make sure to rinse completely after the process to stop the oxidation. Put the oil to it (your preferred gun oil will work; I like WD 40 for a job as this one), wipe it off, and you're done.

Rubber gloves, a face mask (should be handy these days, eh?) and good ventilation is your work area requirement. I'd use a clean, 100% cotton flannel patch for an application like this one, and a hand held propane torch for heat; doesn't take much heat to make the "sizzle" on a small part like your sight.

Good luck! I think you'll like the color.
Old October 10, 2020, 11:14 AM   #10
Deltadart

Reinert
Thanks for the help. I will follow your instructions, looking forward to working on it. I have all the the items you list. The sight should come apart, but I have not tried yet. Still waiting for the brown solution to show up, things are a little slower these days, no worries it will be here soon.