The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 24, 2019, 06:50 PM   #1
kymasabe

Flash Can vs Linear Comp vs thread protector.

I'm building an AR pistol with 12.5 inch barrel. Was gonna use 12 inch handguard, but would require something like Kaw Valley linear comp to make sure extends past end of handguard. Now, I'm thinking maybe 9 inch handguard instead so...dont need anything too long. KAK flash can is option, as I want all sound and flash forward towards target.
But, was wondering...do I need anything at all? If I just put a thread protector on the end of the barrel, will that be enough? Or will it not direct enough forward and direct too much outwards
Old December 25, 2019, 07:51 AM   #2
G.barnes

What brand of handguard is it. Some handguards are exact length others are a little long. Example would be aero precision 12in handguard on a 12.5 barrel you can use a standard a2 flash hider. If the handguard is a little over 12 Iā€™d recommend the black river tactical covert comp. Looks almost like an a2 just with no ports.
Old December 25, 2019, 10:43 AM   #3
BillM

I picked up a PSA 7.5" pistol on a trade. Darned thing would loosen fillings
and rattle my brain, and even with a A2 flash hider I tended to get a bit close to the
muzzle with my left hand.

Hung a cheap ($20ish) Krinkov style flash can on it. Wow what a difference!
Went with the knurled outer--a little tactile clue that I was getting too far forward
on my grip. It cut the muzzle blast by at least 50%. I am still a bit amazed.
Old December 25, 2019, 12:29 PM   #4
kymasabe

Was planning on Aero Atlas S-One, 12 inch, thinking of maybe going down to 9 inch.
Old December 25, 2019, 01:38 PM   #5
rickyrick

I used a linear Comp on my 5.56 10ā€ pistol and I liked it. Less perceived noise for me. Straight back recoil.
Old December 25, 2019, 03:15 PM   #6
G.barnes

Just out of curiosity if your going with a 12.5 barrel why not a 10-11ā€ handguard.
Old December 25, 2019, 04:10 PM   #7
kymasabe

Well, I suppose 10 or 11 inch would work fine, depending on the handguard. I like the Atlas because its comfortable for me to shoot. I tend to hold at the back end of the handguard with the side of my hand against the mag well. Many handguards have a mount/clamp hanging out the bottom that's sharp edges, the Atlas is smooth, comfortable, fits my hand, so trying to stick with what I know and like.
Old December 26, 2019, 06:39 AM   #8
kymasabe

....and the question still remains...what if I went with a 9 inch handguard and no can or comp, just a thread protector? Would blast and sound project out too much without aid of muzzle device?
Old December 26, 2019, 07:12 AM   #9
stagpanther

I have a KAW linear comp on a 9mm PCC and it goes maybe 2 " down under the guard (same length hand guard and barrel) and the total length extends well past the end of the hand guard. However, I'm not sure of the length of the 5.56 linear comp. Call em and ask them.
Old December 26, 2019, 10:07 AM   #10
9x19

I think you'll notice a significant reduction in blast and noise using a linear comp vs a bare muzzle. I did.
Old December 26, 2019, 11:45 AM   #11
rickyrick

A bare muzzle would be worse than a linear comp. some muzzle brakes can be worse than a bare muzzle or better
Old December 26, 2019, 11:57 AM   #12
kymasabe

Thank you all.
Since the goal is to keep the build short and light, decided to try a KAK micro flash can.
Will let you all know how it works when I complete the build.
Old December 27, 2019, 11:36 AM   #13
imashooter

Excluding the extended length of a comp / can having perhaps an effect on flash / bang, no problem with going w/ only a thread protector.

I have a Kaw Valley linear comp on a 5.56 pistol (8.5"). I tell little to no difference between it and an A2 flash hider regarding noise. Same item on a M&P 15-22 (16") on which I can easily tell the difference in reduced noise. Not a bunch but easily discernible.

I have a KAK flash can on a 9" 300blk. Little if any difference with it as well.

Installed on the 2 pistols for handguard length reasons.

Last edited by imashooter; December 27, 2019 at 11:49 AM.