The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2009, 01:31 PM   #76
MartyG

TLeo, mine must been on the same truck! Signed by a guy named Hodgson. We're in this together!
Old March 30, 2009, 01:53 PM   #77
Bond007

Mine is on its way back to S&W this morning. Let's hope they all make it home safe and soon.

One thing to note, the shipping instructions I received from S&W by email instruct to send "via UPS overnight service," unfortunately the shipping label they provided me with is a "UPS 2nd Day Air" service.

I mentioned to the UPS agent that it was a firearm and also said that it should be sent overnight.
Old March 30, 2009, 02:30 PM   #78
MartyG

Bond, read my post #68. Normally, guns are shipped overnight, and thus the boilerplate language in the instructions. However, because of the large number and cost involved, S&W worked a special deal with UPS to allow 2nd day air. So who paid? Did they charge you extra for going overnight? Or did they send the bill to S&W?
Overnight doesn't really matter too much when you're looking at a 2 -3 month turnaround.
Old March 31, 2009, 05:37 AM   #79
TLeo

Yep, looks that way Marty, mine was signed for by the same guy as yours. Keep our fingers crossed for a quick turnaround!
Old March 31, 2009, 05:49 AM   #80
hhb

Too Funny!

TLeo and Marty G:

My PPK/s arrived at the same time as yours and was signed for by Hodgson. I guess the three of them are lying on the bottom of the pile in a roller cart. The late arrivals will probably get fixed first because they will be lying on top.
Old March 31, 2009, 06:05 AM   #81
hotcha45

Mine also!

My PPK/S arrived Monday as well, also signed for by Hodgson. I wonder how many thousands arrived that day. Might give us a clue as to probable turnaround.
My local UPS has a large sign on the door about no firearms being permitted on the premises, but the gal behind the counter didn't bat an eye or seem to care when I told her the box contained a firearm.
Old March 31, 2009, 06:24 AM   #82
hhb

Recall time

I think the recall time is supposed to be 8-12 weeks. We'll see. I guess our four are spoonin together on the bottom of the pile.
Old March 31, 2009, 06:45 PM   #83
Rodger_p

Mine arrived this morning, signed by "Soucey"
Old March 31, 2009, 08:21 PM   #84
chopz

soucey got mine this morning too. seems like longer than 2 days, considering it was 2nd day air.
Old April 1, 2009, 09:33 PM   #85
MartyG

Quote:
soucey got mine this morning too. seems like longer than 2 days, considering it was 2nd day air.
Soucey signed for mine about a year ago, when it went in for warranty work. 2-Day air means two business days, weekends don't count, and they add a day if you're rural. Check out Mapquest and look where Houlton, ME is! It's not Iceland, but it's close!
Old April 1, 2009, 09:53 PM   #86
Wrothgar

Mine arrived this morning (Wednesday 4-1-09), also signed by Hodgson.
Old April 2, 2009, 12:08 PM   #87
Playboypenguin

Am I the only one?

I am seriously considering not sending mine in at all. Then just waiting until after the recall and ordering the new piece and installing it myself. I figure once the recall is over they will probably just send you the new piece for free if you ask for it.
Old April 2, 2009, 01:15 PM   #88
MartyG

Quote:
I am seriously considering not sending mine in at all. Then just waiting until after the recall and ordering the new piece and installing it myself. I figure once the recall is over they will probably just send you the new piece for free if you ask for it.
That would be fine if you remain the owner. If you sell it, it will be worth less because it won't have the mark of modification. If you leave it to your heirs, the burden of proof is on them. If yours is new enough to be under warranty, you will void that warranty with your own work. If I were buying a gun that I knew had a recall in its past, I would not buy it without proof of a factory fix. The seller could tell me all day long how he did the fix himself, but I would walk away.
Old April 2, 2009, 02:34 PM   #89
kraigwy

I guess Hodgson was out to lunch, Harrison signed for mine.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 2, 2009, 08:10 PM   #90
Bond007

Quote:
I seriously considered doing the same. The more I thought about it the more I realized that I'm fairly busy in at work right now, and by the time I actually received and installed the part it would likely be longer than simply sending the gun in.

I still have a good amount of faith in S&W's customer service, so I figured I would let them handle this.
Old April 2, 2009, 11:07 PM   #91
Playboypenguin

Quote:
That would be fine if you remain the owner. If you sell it, it will be worth less because it won't have the mark of modification. If you leave it to your heirs
Actually, I think I am quite capable of putting a ding on the tang with a metal punch.
Old April 6, 2009, 05:30 PM   #92
Rodger_p

Now I'm confused, well, more perplexed I guess.
I just received a UPS return label in the mail. My PPK/s arrived in Maine Tuesday, 3/31.
I printed the emailed one and sent it on its way.
Anyone else end up with an extra label?

Rodger
Old April 6, 2009, 10:23 PM   #93
MartyG

Quote:
Now I'm confused, well, more perplexed I guess.
I just received a UPS return label in the mail. My PPK/s arrived in Maine Tuesday, 3/31.
I printed the emailed one and sent it on its way.
Anyone else end up with an extra label?
You did right. When I spoke to the lady who told me it would take longer for the computer requests to get processed than the phone requests, it became apparent there are two processing systems in place at S&W. Worse, the old-fashioned "paper and phone call" people do not seem to have a clue as to the goings on in the "computer" world. Both sides are trying to deal with this recall. You're OK, your pistol is in ME. But the shame is they are operating so inefficiently on this deal. Manpower that could be used more productively, either in processing the recall, or maybe even doing the recall. Or speeding things up somewhere along the line.
Old April 7, 2009, 05:55 AM   #94
hotcha45

3rd UPS mailing label

Yep, my gun was received by S&W/Walther on 3/31 using the 2nd label sent. I just received a 3rd UPS label via email yesterday. Since I only entered my recall stuff online, and the 2nd label has been used and the gun it was for is in their hands, don't understand why the 3rd one. Does not give one a real degree of confidence. One can only hope whoever works on my gun knows more about what they are doing than whoever is running the recall. Figger the government took over the recall?
Old April 10, 2009, 07:14 PM   #95
bignz

Has everyone seen this frightening youtube video of what I'm guessing is the reason for this recall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmo6DenNVGo
Old April 11, 2009, 05:57 AM   #96
hhb

Video

Bet that hurt. Do you think he got his fingers out of the way before the slide recoiled?
Old April 11, 2009, 07:28 AM   #97
TLeo

Okay, somebody help me if I missed something there. He dis-engaged the safety and then --manually tried to cock the hammer. Looked to me like he slipped and let the hamer fall. If so....naturally it will fire.
Old April 11, 2009, 07:44 AM   #98
hhb

PPK series

That is the crux of the issue. Drop the hammer and it fires. I did the same thing with mine before I sent it off for the recall. Put a pencil, eraser against the firing pin, and the same thing happens.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:32 AM   #99
bignz

It's very difficult to tell, but to me it looks like the discharge happens in the act of pulling back the hammer. The motion of his hand does not appear to pull the hammer 3/4 and then drop it. But assuming that is correct: What mechanically could possibly push the firing pin forward?

And yes my first thought was about the likelihood that he lost his thumbnail in this demonstration.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:08 AM   #100
TLeo

yes, that's what I meant. The safety has been taken "off" so there is no block engaged to prevent the hammer strikeing the firing pin when he pulls back the hammer. It looks to me like operator error, not weapon malfunction, by thumbing back the hammer and it slipped. Something had to hit the firing pin and nothing is visible except the hammer being cocked. Is there some internal gun part that would have moved or shifted to strike the firing pin?