The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Best Pistol
Smith & Wesson 52 7.83%
Sig 106 15.96%
Glock 149 22.44%
Ruger 26 3.92%
Springfield 48 7.23%
Colt 48 7.23%
HK 57 8.58%
Walther 16 2.41%
Khar 9 1.36%
Kimber 28 4.22%
Desert Eagle 3 0.45%
Makarov (Stichken included) 7 1.05%
Beretta 33 4.97%
CZ 49 7.38%
Taurus 7 1.05%
Browning (FN) 18 2.71%
Para Ord. 3 0.45%
Star 2 0.30%
Mauser (Luger included) 2 0.30%
Korth 1 0.15%
Voters: 664. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 12, 2008, 04:16 PM   #76
Cmdrdredd

Quote:
I didn't vote in the poll.

Unless one has had an opportunity to use each of the listed brands enough to develop an educated opinion, his vote is pretty meaningless.
I bet that 99% of the people on this forum would not have tried everything on the list. You're just making an excuse here. It's preference as has been said so many times before. Who cares if I didn't shoot them all? I found one I like so it's the best pistol in my opinion.
Old February 12, 2008, 04:32 PM   #77
dbgun

Colt. Just my $.02
Old February 12, 2008, 05:10 PM   #78
The Lovemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower!
Well Dave, if it had not been the variety in 9mm magazine capacity for glock, I would have voted HK. I use HK P2000. It is an excellant gun. YOu can fire it dirty, in the water and torture it and it would still go. HK quality is VERY hard to beat.
Firepower!, welcome to TFL! It's a great place with a wealth of knowledge.

Check out this link regarding one man's quest to destroy his G21, and note he does the same to an HK - it doesn't hold up like the Glock.

http://theprepared.com/index.php?opt...d=90&Itemid=40
Old February 12, 2008, 05:19 PM   #79
Cmdrdredd

Vega, that's interesting and all but really this is not a test of reality. To be sure, most people would clean their gun and take care of it better than this. I know I would

It's fine and all, but any gun that is properly maintained will work fine.
Old February 12, 2008, 05:36 PM   #80
hpg

Looks like Glock is in the lead.................hpg
Old February 12, 2008, 05:37 PM   #81
38SnubFan

Firepower,

I'm comparing the Glock triggers to everything else I've shot. I personally just dislike the feel of them - its a personal thing; otherwise, I know the Glock shoots VERY WELL from my personal experiences.

As for the 15 yds. thing: could be a minor sight elevation issue that my local gunsmith can handle for me. I'd sooner take the time to shoot the pistol some more and get some more practice with it; I think it's more the shooter than the equipment in this case.

I'll send you a PM and let you know what happens.

-38SnubFan

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old February 13, 2008, 04:06 AM   #82
Firepower!

Glock Test

Vega this is some extereme testing. I can not imagine it happening in real life, but to know that Glock still runs after what is shown in you article, it is just amazing and adds to my confidence in the gun. I carry 19 and 26, and I am sure quality wise they would be same as the 21. I was trying to find a torture test for HKp2000, but I could not. Although I have seen one.

Cmdrdredd you are right this is an opinion poll and it is basically asking for one's experience in the gun(s) they have used. As there are more handguns in world than listed here, it would impossible to conduct a poll where one can only vote after firing each and everyone of them!

Basically we are having fun and good time, and sharing our experiences. I personally learn a lot from other people on these forums, because I have had some questions relating to gunsmithing, etc, and I have gotten some very valuable advices.
Old February 13, 2008, 01:30 PM   #83
GLP Standard

Woot...Glock ftw at 24%. Why does that not surprise me?
Old February 13, 2008, 01:36 PM   #84
mk70ss

I think Kimber makes the best pistols, I think S&W makes the best revolvers.
Old February 14, 2008, 07:24 AM   #85
Firepower!

I am not surprised that Glock is in lead, since they do make quality handguns in variety of calibers to suit needs of many not just in the US but in the international markets as well.

However, I am surprised that the good old classics such as Mauser Broomhandles and Luger P08 are with a single vote.

Does this mean that they are out of favor because they are out of date? If so, what about the value of our handguns, especially for the those of us who are collectors and want to pass them down to our kids, perhaps?
Old February 14, 2008, 09:02 AM   #86
JG01

Sig 239 .9mm
Colt Officer .45
Bersa .380
Old February 14, 2008, 09:43 AM   #87
1858Remington

I picked the Springfield.

This company has many different firearms, all of which are excellent quality wise.

Historically they've been around and making product as far back as the civil war. Not many gun companies can claim this.

Their products from the past are prized collectables, and worth big bucks.

They supplied our boys in all our wars with reliable quality weapons, and were loved by our troops.

Other companies, like Glock, only have one design to their claim to fame, springfield has many.
Old February 15, 2008, 06:00 AM   #88
Firepower!

Well Springfield is a good company, and probably it has served US well. However, it is not very known in the international markets, whereas the Glock and HK are as well some of the other brands listed.

I guess the US market for handgun is sufficiently large enough for the SPringfield to concentrate there.

Whereas as Glock is now providing pistols to many policing agencies through out the world.
Old February 15, 2008, 06:40 AM   #89
MLeake

I voted for Sig, but...

... I have to admit, the Beretta 92 was almost my choice.

And to be totally honest, my 92 Centurion has not only always been 100% reliable, but it is also every bit as accurate as my P220, and outshoots my C3.

I do have a slight bias in favor of the .45acp, but the more I read up on bullet performance, the weaker that bias becomes. Hydrashok 9mm works pretty well indeed.

While the Beretta is fairly heavy, it fits my hand well, and the combination of weight and fit results in very, very little muzzle rise during recoil. I can unload 15 rounds, accurately, almost as fast as I can shoot 7 out of the C3.

Too bad we couldn't vote for two...
Old February 15, 2008, 09:40 AM   #90
Firepower!

MLeake...The poll is diliberately made single choice so that we arrive at a diffinitive result. In multipole option sometimes a pistol which is majority's second or thrid choice may win!

Since you are Beretta fan, I would like to add that if you one goes for the looks of a pistol I dont think there is any out there that would beat a Beretta 92FS INOX with walnut grips.
Old February 15, 2008, 09:05 PM   #91
Bboomer

Sorry I could not vote.

I prefer revolvers over pistols, although I do own 7 different manufactures that you have listed (pistol & rev).
Old February 16, 2008, 10:39 AM   #92
SGTF109

Its Hard to beat a Glock for the price and durability.
Old February 16, 2008, 04:48 PM   #93
Van55

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't vote in the poll.

Unless one has had an opportunity to use each of the listed brands enough to develop an educated opinion, his vote is pretty meaningless.

I bet that 99% of the people on this forum would not have tried everything on the list. You're just making an excuse here. It's preference as has been said so many times before. Who cares if I didn't shoot them all? I found one I like so it's the best pistol in my opinion.
Making an excuse for what? I simply stated that my experience is way to limited for me to give a reliable opinion on the poll. I suspect, as you do, that most who did vote in the poll are basing their votes on extremely limited experience and personal bias -- "if I chose it and like it, it must be the best."

I wouldn't make a personal buying choice on the results of this poll for that reason.
Old February 16, 2008, 05:25 PM   #94
Cmdrdredd

it says in the topic. "Best Pistol in your opinioin!" that means there is no right or wrong.

Doesn't matter if you didn't shoot everything. I am not, was not, and will not ever be in the market for a 1911 so I won't vote that way in any opinion polls because I do not lean that way. It's simple, find what you like? Vote for it being the best you've found. That's what this poll is about. What do people own and like the most.
Old February 16, 2008, 07:40 PM   #95
BabyEagle40

In my opinion, the Baby Desert Eagle full size all steel in .40S&W. Why? Because, to me, nothing fits better or is more accurate.
Old February 16, 2008, 08:55 PM   #96
Van55

Quote:
Doesn't matter if you didn't shoot everything. I am not, was not, and will not ever be in the market for a 1911 so I won't vote that way in any opinion polls because I do not lean that way. It's simple, find what you like? Vote for it being the best you've found. That's what this poll is about. What do people own and like the most.
And that's precisely why the poll is meaningless for anything other than a popularity contest. Entertaining for sure, but not a buyer's guide -- not that I thought it was intended as one.

What would be more enlightening to me and might exist somewhere that I haven't found is a sort of consumer reports for handguns. A study of what brands most consistently hit the target sighted, the misfire FTF FTE ratios etc. These things are measurable and meaningful.

Of course what fits your hand and feels right to you etc. is totally subjective and dependent on individual taste.
Old February 16, 2008, 09:14 PM   #97
Cmdrdredd

Van55 I'm going to make this simple for you.

The best handling, most accurate, and most comfortable gun you have fired is the one you vote for. End of discussion.

It was never ment to be all inclusive, never ment to be gospel, never ment to prove something.
Old February 17, 2008, 12:13 PM   #98
Firepower!

I second Cmdrdredd.

All I want to add is that this poll's primary purpose is entertainment and excahgne of experiences and knowledge. There may be things about a pistol I own and used but did not know or appreciate that can surface here by one of the members.

Where as the buyers guides are concerned- dont waste your time on the statistics. Ant fellow statician here will tell you that any statistic data can be manipulated.

When I buy a gun do emphasize the following:
1. Reputation of the company
2. How it fits my grip
3. How it fires from my hand

And since I am a cross eye dominent I am not sure if evey pistols is right for me.
Old February 17, 2008, 01:03 PM   #99
Webleymkv

I voted S&W because if I had to carry one of my autos all the time it'd probably be this one

S&W 1076 10mm Auto

Fortunately, I don't have to carry an auto all the time and I can regularly carry this one

S&W Model 66-2 .357 Magnum
Old February 17, 2008, 01:47 PM   #100
Van55

Quote:
Van55 I'm going to make this simple for you.

The best handling, most accurate, and most comfortable gun you have fired is the one you vote for. End of discussion.

It was never ment to be all inclusive, never ment to be gospel, never ment to prove something.
cmdrdredd I'm going to make this even simpler for you. We agree and the purpose and and value of the poll. Doh~
Closed Thread