The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Best Pistol
Smith & Wesson 52 7.83%
Sig 106 15.96%
Glock 149 22.44%
Ruger 26 3.92%
Springfield 48 7.23%
Colt 48 7.23%
HK 57 8.58%
Walther 16 2.41%
Khar 9 1.36%
Kimber 28 4.22%
Desert Eagle 3 0.45%
Makarov (Stichken included) 7 1.05%
Beretta 33 4.97%
CZ 49 7.38%
Taurus 7 1.05%
Browning (FN) 18 2.71%
Para Ord. 3 0.45%
Star 2 0.30%
Mauser (Luger included) 2 0.30%
Korth 1 0.15%
Voters: 664. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 24, 2008, 07:52 AM   #276
Snub357

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........
Old April 24, 2008, 07:55 AM   #277
flusher

I'm with OJ

Old April 25, 2008, 04:55 AM   #278
Firepower!

Beretta 90Two

Does any have any experience with Beretta 90Two?

I am wondering how much improvement is there over 92FS?

Yes...OJ might have a point but still the numbers dont lie.
Old April 25, 2008, 06:15 AM   #279
95dsm

WOW! just looked at the pols... look at all the glock nutt swingers out there:barf:
Springfield Armory .45 Compact
Old April 25, 2008, 06:59 AM   #280
roman3

Quote:
WOW! just looked at the pols... look at all the glock nutt swingers out there

Glock in a landslide, imagine the pol without sig in the running
Old April 25, 2008, 07:44 AM   #281
MikeOrick

The best?

My newest one.
Old April 25, 2008, 03:03 PM   #282
scorpiusdeus

Quote:
Glock in a landslide, imagine the pol without sig in the running
You need to reread that poll. It says 149 people think Glock is the best, 515 Don't. It's a landslide alright, but not in Glock's favor.
Old April 25, 2008, 05:09 PM   #283
Glockeroo

Quote:
You need to reread that poll. It says 149 people think Glock is the best, 515 Don't. It's a landslide alright, but not in Glock's favor.
According to this board, Glock is the best. Out of 515, none of them consistently voted for a particular weapon. Glock enthusiasts did. Glock is the best pistol as far as this poll is concerned, and it's correct.

Glockeroo will lead any of you to the darkside.
Old April 25, 2008, 05:28 PM   #284
mavracer

Quote:
According to this board, Glock is the best. Out of 515, none of them consistently voted for a particular weapon. Glock enthusiasts did. Glock is the best pistol as far as this poll is concerned, and it's correct.
yes, but how many people like myself didn't vote because I don't really have a favorite.also I like many differend brands better than Blocks:barf:.although I must admit the glock kool-aid is strong.how else is it possible to answer what's the best .357 wheelgun."glock" other than being a mind numb zombie?
Quote:
Glockeroo will lead any of you to the darkside.
sorry the old ways of the force are too strong with this one
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 25, 2008, 06:07 PM   #285
Northalius

Many that didn't vote for Glock simply voted for another pistol that "felt better" in their hands, or "looked better" in their eyes. But if we were to take all these pistols into combat, drag them through the dirt, throw 'em in salt water for a few weeks, pour sand in them, fire them a couple hundred thousand times (it's been done with a few Glocks so far, last I heard someone's up to 250,000+ rounds fired through their 20+ year old Glock 17) etc. etc., then the Glock would be voted the best in a TRUE landslide!

Everyone would see the truth behind why Glock is the best and most loved overall pistol in the world: Its ultra-reliability AND extreme durability.

The grip feels odd? That might be because it holds so much more ammo than a typical 1911 can, and because the hole on the bottom-rear of the pistol, so one can slip their finger inside and grasp the magazine in case it ever gets jammed up there, for whatever reason.

A lack of a safety is good for true shooters that actually know to keep their finger off the trigger at all times, until on target and ready to fire. Safety's are for those lacking confidence in their own skill enough to be safe around their gun.

The simplicity of Glock take-down to field strip and clean is amazing; among Glock being made up of so few parts! And everyone knows: In combat -> Simplicity trumps complexity. There's a reason why they say KISS!

Glock 9mm able to hold 33 round magazines; Glock .40 able to hold 29 round magagzines; Glock .45 able to hold 25 round magazines.

No hammer in the back to have to worry about, which is good, so it can't get snagged on anything; nor can anything from the outside prevent the pin from hitting the cartridge... like you have on Sig's, 1911's, etc. It's better to have one single action all the time, which'll result in a better chance of accuracy, as compared to having two actions to a trigger, and again, which might complicate things in combat (fog of war)... which is another downside to Sig's and 1911's, among other pistols with outward hammers.

Etc. etc.

Oh yeah, Glocks don't cost over $700-$1000 to buy, either. Usual is $500. Imagine that. LEO / Military / Fire Dept. etc. get $100 off on their purchase of Glocks, as well.

Glock = best.
Old April 25, 2008, 06:27 PM   #286
roman3

Quote:
In most "democratic" countries Glock wins the majority of the seats in the parliment and forms a government with Gaston as Prime Minister. As no one else is close I guess sig would get the second most important position. In this country Glock wins with no hanging chads or Court Descisions.

Republicans Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft got the majority of votes if you added them together, however that meant nothing to Democrat President-elect Woodrow Wilson. George Bush and Ross Perot got more votes combined but President-Elect Bill Clinton didn't seem to mind.

Only in Zimbabwe would Glock not be the winner.
Old April 25, 2008, 06:35 PM   #287
roman3

oops double post
Old April 25, 2008, 07:26 PM   #288
mavracer

Quote:
But if we were to take all these pistols into combat, drag them through the dirt, throw 'em in salt water for a few weeks, pour sand in them, fire them a couple hundred thousand times (it's been done with a few Glocks so far, last I heard someone's up to 250,000+ rounds fired through their 20+ year old Glock 17) etc. etc., then the Glock would be voted the best in a TRUE landslide!
A. Glock didn't win any US military contracts and I was pretty sure there were some rounds fired and they maybe were kinda hard on them. IIRC
B.250,000 still 100,000 short of a 80+ year old 1911 of a friend of mine.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 25, 2008, 07:29 PM   #289
Glockeroo

Quote:
In most "democratic" countries Glock wins the majority of the seats in the parliment and forms a government with Gaston as Prime Minister. As no one else is close I guess sig would get the second most important position. In this country Glock wins with no hanging chads or Court Descisions.

Republicans Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft got the majority of votes if you added them together, however that meant nothing to Democrat President-elect Woodrow Wilson. George Bush and Ross Perot got more votes combined but President-Elect Bill Clinton didn't seem to mind.

Only in Zimbabwe would Glock not be the winner.
You are wise, and Father Gaston would love to have you by his side.
Old April 25, 2008, 08:59 PM   #290
Adventurer 2

I'm just going to take a guess here - Glockeroo's first semi-auto was either a low budget semi or a Glock.
I'll concede that it is a "Glock World" for a lot of the reasons that have been stated but I could never agree that Glocks are the best semi-auto's.
Glocks are great pistols for their price point, simplicity, and dependability.
I haven't read all of the posts but I hope that one day you get a chance to own a truly superior firearm. I don't have to tell you what that firearm is because you will know it when you own it.
Old April 25, 2008, 11:04 PM   #291
Glockeroo

Quote:
I'm just going to take a guess here - Glockeroo's first semi-auto was either a low budget semi or a Glock.
I'll concede that it is a "Glock World" for a lot of the reasons that have been stated but I could never agree that Glocks are the best semi-auto's.
Glocks are great pistols for their price point, simplicity, and dependability.
I haven't read all of the posts but I hope that one day you get a chance to own a truly superior firearm. I don't have to tell you what that firearm is because you will know it when you own it.
My first pistol was given to me. It was a 1911. My second pistol, my first purchase was a used .25 semiauto. My next purchase was a G26. Loved Glocks ever since. Once I got the G19, there was no need to look further. However, I've fired Sigs, S & W's etc. I like Glocks the best. It's that simple.
Old April 25, 2008, 11:23 PM   #292
CraigC

Quote:
I think P22 is the finest in the .22LR league.
You're really runnin' in the red on credibility with that statement. You and Glockeroo need to get a room with the latest Play Station and spare the rest of us this foolishness.
Old April 26, 2008, 06:24 PM   #293
AZ-Quailhunter

have to go with Glock.
Old April 26, 2008, 11:30 PM   #294
ASERO45ACP

Springfield Mil Spec for CCW..

Old April 27, 2008, 02:23 PM   #295
Glockeroo

In my experience, it's mostly old-timers who dislike Glocks. They are either 1911 owners or prefer steel pistols with an external hammer. They are to stubborn to except change. So what do they do? Most look for any reason not to like a Glock. It's like your dad holding on to his ancient revolver, or an old Ford truck he's purchased ages ago. To them, the new material isn't as good as the old school.

I have a neighbor who owns about 5 1911's, and he cleans his guns on his deck regularly. His brother owns a large piece of land in Allentown, PA and has a large cookout every summer. He has his on makeshift shooting range as well. I took my Glock 26 to the cookout last summer to do some shooting with the old-timers. My neighbor shot my Glock 26, and was impressed at how well it performed. Guess what? He had at least 6 jams that I can recall with his 1911. He knows my G26 ruled the day, but says he still won't purchase one. I feel for him, because he still won't admit that my polymer framed pistol outperformed his steel, old-school 1911. Heck, I'm even guilty of this behavior. My son says the Playstation is better than old video games like Pacman and Space Invaders. I know it's better but I still defend the old video games with a passion, and refuse to play the Playstation. So I know the mindset of the old-timer Glock haters.
Old April 27, 2008, 02:48 PM   #296
Northalius

Yes Glockeroo. It's like our kind who grew up in the 1980s, that still love the old 80's cartoons, movies and music. It's simply all about nostalgia, even if the 80's were cheesy, they were still fun!

I bet if his life depended upon the pistol working, that old timer would love Glock in a heartbeat. Those that don't care about their "favorite pistol" jamming, are simply in shooting for sport only, not survival in case the SHTF. And that kind learn the hard way when their guns go "click" instead of "bang" when they REALLY need to... like when they're being attacked by an armed criminal.

Ah well, such is the mysteries of gun-owning life.
Old April 27, 2008, 03:29 PM   #297
ASERO45ACP

I am 40 and I guess thats not old. I was first intruduce to guns when I married my wife and her Dad was a Marine who loved the old revolver nothing but Smith and Wesson, Colt and Rugers and bunch of 1911 .45 ACP.

The very first time I shot one of this 1911, I just loved the way it shoot and fits to my hand, personalizing the 1911 is one of the features I find beneficial to me. About jams that could be fixable beveled the frame ramp and barrel problem solve and it will eat any type of bullets you feed it.

I remember when the first Glock came out I believe it was the Glock 19 or 17 with 9mm just did not find it attractive to me. I buddy of mine bought one and we took it at the range, of course I brought my race gun Mil Spec, first look he was in loved with it. Let him shot two mags and the next day traded his Glock for a Springfield Mil Spec. But with the XD45 out I just might consider this one someday.

This is actually my second Mil Spec, the first one I turned it to a race gun and gave it to my Dad coz he just loved the set up and the way it shoots. I also had some revolvers I sold wish had not Colt King Cobra, Ruger 85 38 spl, Smith model 10, 8, 17 and Baretta 92 FS made in Italy, Ruger Redhawk, Browning Practical Two Tone, Colt Phython. Came to realize back then 14 years ago had to many gun to shoot and reload ammo, I had to stick with the gun I like and carry since my 1911 is my first choice and first gun have to go with what I feel comfortable with. I just wish never sold some of my guns.
Old April 27, 2008, 03:38 PM   #298
RJM

Quote:
I bet if his life depended upon the pistol working, that old timer would love Glock in a heartbeat. Those that don't care about their "favorite pistol" jamming, are simply in shooting for sport only, not survival in case the SHTF. And that kind learn the hard way when their guns go "click" instead of "bang" when they REALLY need to... like when they're being attacked by an armed criminal.
My life depends on my pistol working, I carry one everyday for work and my tool of choice went from a Smith and Wesson model 65 which I stupidly sold to a coworker, to a Glock 21, to a Springfield XD, to a 1911. Currently a Springer mil-spec but will be my Dan Wesson CBOB soon. The 1911 design is as proven as can be and in my opinion outclasses the glock in everything but capacity. But the funny thing is that the capacity of the G21 makes the dang grip ridiculous in size and width, the angle makes the sights point anywhere but your target, I won't even touch the trigger difference. Heck, I think the XD is much better than a glock, certainly much better grip and trigger and no friggin plastic guide rod p.o.s. assembly. This crapola about a 1911 being unreliable and not able to withstand a war is b.s. errornet blabbering by people who say they know somebody who shoots one or "I saw this guy at the range" blah blah blah. Yeah, we all know somebody who thinks something. :barf:
Old April 27, 2008, 09:58 PM   #299
Glockeroo

Quote:
My life depends on my pistol working, I carry one everyday for work and my tool of choice went from a Smith and Wesson model 65 which I stupidly sold to a coworker, to a Glock 21, to a Springfield XD, to a 1911. Currently a Springer mil-spec but will be my Dan Wesson CBOB soon. The 1911 design is as proven as can be and in my opinion outclasses the glock in everything but capacity. But the funny thing is that the capacity of the G21 makes the dang grip ridiculous in size and width, the angle makes the sights point anywhere but your target, I won't even touch the trigger difference. Heck, I think the XD is much better than a glock, certainly much better grip and trigger and no friggin plastic guide rod p.o.s. assembly. This crapola about a 1911 being unreliable and not able to withstand a war is b.s. errornet blabbering by people who say they know somebody who shoots one or "I saw this guy at the range" blah blah blah. Yeah, we all know somebody who thinks something.
Why does the Glock grip angle only seem to be a problem for those who dislike Glocks with a passion? I went from a 1911 to a .25 to a Glock with no problem. The Glock points naturally for me. I think this grip angle thing is so overrated.
Old April 27, 2008, 10:03 PM   #300
Wolfdaddy

I like Glocks okay, but I like HKs better.

My main beef with Glock is, I just don't like the way the trigger feels.
HK45 (layaway)
Closed Thread