The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 28, 2020, 09:00 AM   #26
gaseousclay

What holster brands would you recommend? A friend of mine recommended Vedder but there are so many companies out there making kydex holsters i'm not sure who is objectively better.
Old October 28, 2020, 09:12 AM   #27
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
What holster brands would you recommend? A friend of mine recommended Vedder but there are so many companies out there making kydex holsters i'm not sure who is objectively better.

I don’t know that there is a holster maker that is objectively better. Different makers might incorporate different features you like. I’ve had a Vedder before in the past and it was well made and they had good customer service. Most holster makers seemingly have good service. To me holsters are one of those things that end up being pretty personal. You end up going through a few before you find what you like and what one person likes another may not. If you’re curious if a certain maker is reputable look for reviews online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 29, 2020, 11:05 AM   #28
jackstrawIII

I think the M&P series is the best of the poly guns. I would have night sights installed, but shouldn't need much other than that.

I agree that the APEX trigger kit it a must-have upgrade for older M&P's, but I'd shoot the new one first before diving right into modifications.

And yes, a holster is a must. Kydex OWB is a good place to start. I've always been happy with Fury OWB & PJ IWB holsters. But there are many options.
Old October 30, 2020, 12:49 PM   #29
gaseousclay

I don’t currently have CCW, so I’m not sure if I need a holster. The only scenario I can see needing one is 1) if I took a firearm course that asked participants to bring one for shooting drills or 2) if shtf and there were zero law enforcement and everyone was on their own.

With that said, is the Black Hawk Brand any good? Since the election is right around the corner I don’t want to take chances ordering online. Scheels has Black Hawk holsters and are available now
Old October 30, 2020, 02:52 PM   #30
Rangerrich99

Blackhawk! Holsters are fine. At this point I’d just buy a OWB kydex holster of some kind, and a decent leather or hybrid IWB. Better safe than sorry.

Galco, Safariland, BravoConcealment, CYA Supply, are all good kydex holsters. And you want a holster; there's no situation where sticking the gun in the back of your pants is better than having a holster to put your gun in.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; October 30, 2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old October 30, 2020, 03:19 PM   #31
peterg7

I stick with tried and true brands, safariland for kydex Bianchi for leather.

Old October 30, 2020, 03:56 PM   #32
TunnelRat

I’d second Safariland, for me I’d rather that than Blackhawk.

Old October 30, 2020, 07:52 PM   #33
Rangerrich99

My original point was that if all you had at your LGS was BlackHawk! holsters, they'd work out just fine. At some point you might want to upgrade or whatever, but in the short term BlackHawk! makes a decent holster.
Old October 30, 2020, 11:28 PM   #34
dyl

Holsters

You can probably find a lot of info on holster types if you search here in the forum search tool or online in general. Since you are relatively new to pistols though, I think you should know that the recent trend of completely kydex Appendix Inside the Waist Band (AIWB) is relatively new. Not to say that appendix carry itself is new, but it has become the latest trend, with lots of youtube gun gurus choosing it for speed of draw.

There are pros and cons, just like any carry position or holster type.

I believe there *is* utility for having a holster before you have a CCW permit. It can serve as a protective sheath as you transport, unless you are going to carry the case with you everywhere. On an outdoor range, it makes it a lot safer to be able to secure your pistol in a holster rather than laying your firearm on the ground or leaving way behind you on a table next to strangers as you go change your target.

If you search holsters, you will probably find kydex holsters first. There are lots of small time sellers on Amazon or Ebay. Know that kydex isn't exactly chosen because the material is unconditionally the best or most comfortable. It's because it's cheap and just about anyone can make one. It's low maintenance too. You heat up the kydex in an oven, press it between 2 foam sheets, rivet it together, install chicago screws, install the hardware, smooth the edges, done. Can just anyone make a great kydex holster? No, but the average first time buyer won't be able to tell the difference. The 2 sheets of kydex (or Boltaron) are inexpensive, something like 12 dollars if I remember. Kydex isn't particularly soft or flexible against your skin. But it's low maintenance.

When I bought my first belt holster (as opposed to pocket carry), hybrid holsters were gaining popularity. The back is leather, the front is Kydex so it "snaps" into place, but is soft against you.

And I'm sure way before those it was all leather which is still popular and probably the classiest option. So for you I'd eventually look into what position (strong side outside the waistband seems to be what Blackhawk! does most), then what material. The larger the pistol, the more likely an outside waistband strong side holster will be comfortable.
Old October 31, 2020, 11:58 AM   #35
gaseousclay

Thx for the recommendations on holsters. At this point, I’ll likely get a Black Hawk holster just to have one. I want a Vedder holster but with the election coming up, I don’t wanna take any chances with online ordering, especially not knowing how unreliable the postal service may be. If things are calm then I’ll reconsider ordering online
Old November 1, 2020, 01:08 AM   #36
zoo

I have noticed a degradation in the quality and time it takes to get deliveries over the last three or four months via the postal service, UPS, etc., but if I were you I wouldn’t let it stop me from ordering the kind of holster I wanted, gaseousclay. Going to hell in a hand basket or not, life goes on.