The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2019, 09:03 AM   #1
Bart B.

Federal Custom Hand Loads?

For $5.00 per round at about $100 for a box of 20, check this out:

https://www.federalpremium.com/custo...om-rifle-ammo/
Old October 20, 2019, 09:50 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I might pay $5 a pop for major serious bigbore megafauna ammo (And it is probably more than that), but not for bog standard hunting stuff.
Old October 20, 2019, 10:39 AM   #3
higgite

Quote:
For $5.00 per round at about $100 for a box of 20, check this out:

https://www.federalpremium.com/custo...om-rifle-ammo/
If you're a reloader, what's the point?
Old October 20, 2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Nathan

Tells me what my loads are worth!
Old October 20, 2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

This service appears to be for non-handloaders whose guns don't like any of Federal's standard production ammo bullet selections. For example, in 243 Win you can get Federal Premium production ammo only with the 85-grain Barnes TSX bullets, but their custom shop offers the 80-grain TSX. They have only three bullets in the custom loads for 308 Win, and again they are not bullets available in the Federal Premium ammunition line.

How a person might discover one of the other bullets are what his gun likes better without buying a sample of all the custom offerings, I don't know. If you discover the answer by handloading, then you don't need their service.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 21, 2019, 08:59 AM   #6
old roper

Nosler does same.

https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-ammun...lercustom.html
NRA Life Member
Old October 22, 2019, 03:00 PM   #7
Bart B.

Did Hornady offer custom ammo years ago?
Old October 22, 2019, 08:23 PM   #8
old roper

Berger has ammo.

https://bergerbullets.com/products/ammunition/
NRA Life Member
Old October 23, 2019, 09:10 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

The Berger line isn't custom, though. Berger bought Bryan Litz's ammunition business and have added it as a product line.

The puzzle in this thread is: how does one know the custom ammo is what one needs if one doesn't handload, other than shelling out a lot of money to try it, and why would you spend that much for ammo if you do handload?
Old October 23, 2019, 10:47 PM   #10
higgite

Quote:
The puzzle in this thread is: how does one know the custom ammo is what one needs if one doesn't handload, other than shelling out a lot of money to try it, and why would you spend that much for ammo if you do handload?
Bingo! Was wondering what commercial ammo has to do with handloading.
Old October 24, 2019, 01:01 PM   #11
old roper

Bryan Litz purchased bullets from Berger and once Berger had new owners who are Lapua/Vihtavori so why not buy out Bryan Litz.

I bet maybe Lapua team might try that ammo

https://www.lapua.com/lapua-team/
NRA Life Member

Last edited by old roper; October 24, 2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old October 24, 2019, 01:40 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Federal Custom Shop at $100 per 20 and two weeks to build. OUCH!
Especially when Federal brass is known to be softer than other brands. And you'd still have to try a box to see if your rifle will shoot it well.
Old October 24, 2019, 01:55 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

That's the issue, alright. If you are buying it, you aren't a handloader and probably don't care if the brass is not reusable. But the cost of trying it is sure discouraging to we who handload.

I recall a few years back reading about a well-heeled category of match and varmint shooters who could afford not to reload. They'd buy a rifle from a builder and let him work up the accuracy load recipe for them. They, in turn, would send brass and that recipe to custom loading house to duplicate the load. I have no idea how many shooters fall into that category, but apparently it is enough that some groups of doctors were eyeing the custom reloading businesses as investiment targets.
Old October 24, 2019, 08:16 PM   #14
Reloadron

Obviously not aimed at the hand loading types. As UncleNick mentions they only offer three bullets in a 308 Winchester loading and none of which is the 168 grain Sierra Match King they load in their 308 Winchester Gold Medal ammunition which at about $35 a box is a heck of a lot less costly. Personally I can't see buying 308 Winchester at $100 a box but apparently someone can. I'll just continue to roll my own.

Ron
Old October 24, 2019, 09:22 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. As I said, none of the custom bullets duplicate those used in their mass-manufactured lines of ammo, like the GM308M. I think the underlying message is that these loads are not better than their large scale production, which is already pretty good, but rather the service is just for bullets they like but haven't found have a large enough market to justify including in one of their mass-manufactured lines.
Old October 25, 2019, 02:22 AM   #16
DaleA

Could be a social thing...

I never thought I would see people paying the price they do for:

coffee
pro sporting events tickets
concerts
plays
snacks at a movie

now...designer ammunition.

And do you know what? It's their money and if they want to spend it on that stuff I guess I'll just think their priorities are different than mine.
Old October 25, 2019, 05:56 AM   #17
old roper

In our gun club here in Co we have member who don't reload.

Berger 168gr ammo

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019874354?pid=520816

Fed match https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle...11-GM308M.html

I think more choice we have is better.
NRA Life Member
Old October 25, 2019, 08:15 AM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

DaleA,

You left out the cost of cable TV. I remember when it was new and about $5/month as a kind of substitute antenna service. At our house, we finally just cut the cable when they started asking over $150 a month for cable, phone, and Internet. We still have Internet service through the same provider, but we switched to a less expensive VOIP phone provider and put up a TV antenna and use Hulu and Amazon Prime for streaming. Saving about $1000/yr. Every year that I buy a new gun or go to the NRA annual meeting, I look at it as a freebee now.

I agree with Old Roper that more choice is good. It's an indication of health in the industry. But I'll keep rolling my own.
Old October 25, 2019, 08:24 AM   #19
Bart B.

Some people know that the first thing to verify before getting bullets for best accuracy is the barrel's groove diameter should be at least a few ten-thousandths inch smaller than bullet diameter.

Good commercial 30 caliber match barrels often have .3075" groove to shoot Sierra or Berger .308X diameter bullets. As small as .3065" if arsenal 7.62 M80 ball ammo is required by the fullbore rules with .3070" diameter bullets; Kreiger makes them.

Last edited by Bart B.; October 25, 2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old October 26, 2019, 08:10 PM   #20
603Country

Contact DallasReloads.com. Match grade ammo at reasonable prices from a real nice fellow.
Old October 27, 2019, 04:11 AM   #21
J.G. Terry

Sorry Brass

This is a gift for the next thread on the dis-economy of reloading. Is there any component in the Federal Custom that is special. Are any of these bullets not forsale to the public? Does this custom ammo have some special powder?

Since two boxes of Federal once fired 300 WSM cases had loose primer pockets no more use of that brand for anything.

Addendum: The custom rounds in 257 Roberts with 110gr. Nosler bullet gives 3000 fps. The rifles specified is a unmodified Ruger Number One B with 26" barrel. This is special?

Last edited by J.G. Terry; October 27, 2019 at 04:20 AM.
Old October 27, 2019, 12:21 PM   #22
308Loader

For non reloaders they get more bullet choices. is that what makes them "custom"? wouldn't I need to send them my rifle for them to make custom ammo for my rifle?
Old October 27, 2019, 02:22 PM   #23
J.G. Terry

Rifle needed for custom ammo?

Check out the format in the Federal Custom website. A basic description of the firearm is requested. Getting desired components for cartridges is a major motivation for reloading. For the cost of five boxes of those Federal custom cartridges one could get a good start reloading.
Old October 27, 2019, 04:13 PM   #24
Unclenick
Staff

Yep. It looks to me like the main purpose is just to make bullets available that are not already in their regular lines. If they are in those lines, they aren't on the custom lists.

In an ATK Powerpoint I ran into once, they discussed making Mk.316 mod. 0 ammo for the M24 platform with the 175-grain SMK and mentioned Federal's unique understanding of brass case making for maximum accuracy. That, and that a special order lot of IMR4064 with flash suppressant was used in it. That brass know-how obviously does not include making them for reloading life in higher-pressure rounds, but the military doesn't care about that.

Federal's match ammo has done well in Olympic 300 m International Rifle matches, so they seem to be good at working out a fairly universally accurate load. I think their custom shop mainly is just offering that quality level. Their asking about the rifle is probably partly to head off bad or poor compatibility choices, like a slow powder for a Garand load, or a bad bullet choice for the customer's rifling pitch.