The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 28, 2019, 06:09 PM   #1
Radny97

It happened! - Suggestions on a j-frame IWB holster

Sadly, it finally happened. My j-frame fell out of my IWB holster. I was working on some mountain property moving heavy logs, lots of bending and twisting. Then i paused to help move a heavy collapsible picnic table and as i slid the table up the right side of my body to secure it (left hand reaching over my head to hold the top of the table) i heard a thunk behind me and looked back to find my j-frame 442 laying in the dirt. I think a bar on the table i was carrying got under the gun and pushed it up out of the holster.

The gun was in a tension clip IWB fabric holster made by Houston. The holster stayed attached to my belt and did not fall out with the gun. It’s been a good holster for the last year. But I’ve never worn it while doing rigorous work like today. Before when doing rigorous work i always opted to pocket carry the 442, or carry something else.

Obviously this is unacceptable so I’m on the hunt for a new holster. Something with more positive retention IWB. I’d appreciate recommendations. Not interested in kydex in this application.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 28, 2019, 07:10 PM   #2
JERRYS.

open top holsters [IWB or OWB] are not meant to be used during manual labor. if you want to do manual labor get a holster with a retention strap/snap of sorts.
Old September 28, 2019, 07:20 PM   #3
shurshot

Something to consider, (weapon retention), if a perp ever tackles you or you end up on the ground struggling... not good to lose your weapon. Not good at all.
Old September 28, 2019, 07:21 PM   #4
Radny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
open top holsters [IWB or OWB] are not meant to be used during manual labor. if you want to do manual labor get a holster with a retention strap/snap of sorts.

That’s exactly what I’m asking about. Do you have any suggestions?

Old September 28, 2019, 07:49 PM   #5
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radny97 View Post
That’s exactly what I’m asking about. Do you have any suggestions?

check Galco and Don Hume.
Old October 1, 2019, 03:23 PM   #6
WheelGunMan

I carry my LCR357 in a Kydex IWB from Just Holster It works very well at holding gun in place.
Old October 1, 2019, 04:34 PM   #7
dgludwig

Unless I'm carrying my gun in my pocket (when I wouldn't be engaged in much physical activity), I prefer thumb-breaks when holsters are affixed to my belt. I know there are more than a few good holsters that afford good retention systems (usually via adjustable tension screws) but even they allow guns to be yanked out by a perp much easier than a good thumb-break design.

I have to agree with others who advise not to use open-top holsters when performing manual labor, especially when pocket carrying. Too, I'm not familiar with any pocket holster that is effective when using a retention strap. Any holster, even with the gun firmly secured by a retention strap, can fall out of a pocket, gun and all, if the physical activity (i.e., "moving heavy logs, lots of bending and twisting") is especially rigorous.
Old October 1, 2019, 07:35 PM   #8
kenny53

I use a sticky holster for pocket carry. It works for me.
Old October 1, 2019, 08:08 PM   #9
JERRYS.

OP, what do you think about the Galco and Don Hume offerings?
Old October 2, 2019, 09:17 PM   #10
Radny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
OP, what do you think about the Galco and Don Hume offerings?

The Don Hume IWB thumb break holster looks perfect. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old October 2, 2019, 09:31 PM   #11
zoo

I've not come across any holster that won't under certain circumstances drop your sidearm on the ground. From my experience less likely with thumb break and/or adjustable tension screws and non-breakfront type holsters though.
Old October 3, 2019, 01:11 PM   #12
Carmady

You might like the Blade Tech Klipt IWB kydex holster, $30 at Amazon. I have one for the LCR and think it's perfect (for me), I wouldn't change a thing about it. I just held it upside down and tried to shake it out with no success. No provisions for adjustment, but it doesn't need any imo.

Start watching at 3:47 if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Y4nWgySpI
Old October 10, 2019, 04:37 PM   #13
smee78

+1 for Galco and Don Hume, I use holsters from both makers and have been happy with them. I don't have any retention holsters for IWB so cant comment about a specific model to suggest.
Old October 12, 2019, 08:40 AM   #14
javadog

MTR Custom Leather https://www.mtrcustomleather.com/pro...break-holster/