The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2018, 11:19 PM   #1
thomasken

.264 win mag custom

I just found this site due to a question on another firearm. I had a custom built .264 win mag built for me with a Remington 700 action, 26 inch bull barrel that was fluted and tiger stripped maple with a touch of birds eye (doesn't make it shoot better but looks good doing it). All SS with titanium firing pin etc etc. Built 23 years ago and I use it every deer hunting.
About 20 years ago I heard they were going to stop making ammo, so I bought 3,000 rounds of brass from Winchester new unprimed. I loaded my own with 120 gr Sierra ballistic tip BT and loaded about 800 rounds. Sweet? It gets meat every time on both ends. The powder I use is slow burning and the kick reminds me of a canon rolling pushing fire - not a straight "Kick back".
I have quit loading ammo. I still have the dillion 650XL, the dies, specs and everything needed to do it, but have just quit loading. Down to my last 100 rds (loaded). Is there anyone who would be willing to load out another 300 rds - which would last the rest of my life. I have the brass, bullets and formula my baby likes.
BTW when they bult it they provided enough head room that "Barrel Burn" has not been an issue. Sweet spot is 400yds or I should say fun spot. I have played well at 800 yds. And pulled surgical shots at 200. LOVE this caliber
Old October 12, 2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Thomasken,

Changing the subject in the middle of an existing thread is called hijacking the thread. It is against the board rules. Please read them. There is a link on the blue bar at the top of the main forum page. It explains limitations. Also please read the rules in The Gun Show forum if you are considering buying or selling anything.

Soliciting others to do your loading for you creates a number of potential legal and liability complexities. In addition, you lose all control of quality. I, personally, will not shoot handloads made by others, both for my safety and theirs. A licensed small scale manufacturer will do it for you, but it is usually not inexpensive. If there is some serious reason you cannot do it yourself, perhaps you can get a younger relative interested.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle