The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 11, 2002, 07:44 PM   #1
Edward429451

Can't Quote Paragraphs Anymore...

I used to be able to highlight a paragraph and copy paste into a quote, but lately it'll only paste the first line of the paragraph.

Did I click on the wrong thing and change something accidently? Or maybe the function was changed to save bandwidth?

Help me out here, computer illiterate.
Old August 11, 2002, 07:48 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Copy and paste is strictly a function of your own operating system, i.e., Windows, Unix, etc. TFL can't affect those functions. Check to see if copy/paste works properly in a word processing programming.
Old August 12, 2002, 12:06 AM   #3
Edward429451

My System? D'oh!
Old August 12, 2002, 10:24 AM   #4
BenW

Well, I have to jump to Edward's defense here. I have never been able to quote more than the first line of a paragraph on TFL using the quote window. Using the same function on 1911forum, I've never seen a limit. Text I highlight here always shows up completely pasted into any other program. Caveat: This only occurs in the quote window itself. If I hit paste in the composition window, no problemo.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:41 AM   #5
Edward429451

Same here, although I do admit not having tried it in any other windows but TFL lately...
Old August 12, 2002, 10:53 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Well, I have to jump to Edward's defense here. I have never been able to quote more than the first line of a paragraph on TFL using the quote window. Using the same function on 1911forum, I've never seen a limit. Text I highlight here always shows up completely pasted into any other program. Caveat: This only occurs in the quote window itself. If I hit paste in the composition window, no problemo.
I just used the quote window to copy and paste the above post. The entire post made it ok. So I'm not sure what is going wrong.

I have a theory which I will test in a second after posting this.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:59 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
I just used the quote window to copy and paste the above post. The entire post made it ok. So I'm not sure what is going wrong.
Ah ha! My theory was correct. When a line break is encountered, the quote window stops quoting. That's a bug in vBulletin code and we can't fix it here on TFL.

The following is what I actually copied and will now paste it between the typed out {quote}{/quote} tags.

Quote:

So the bottom line is to type in the quote /quote tags when quoting more than one paragraph.
Old August 12, 2002, 11:38 AM   #8
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah ha! My theory was correct. When a line break is encountered, the quote window stops quoting. That's a bug in vBulletin code and we can't fix it here on TFL.

The following is what I actually copied and will now paste it between the typed out {quote}{/quote} tags.

quote:

So the bottom line is to type in the quote /quote tags when quoting more than one paragraph.
Old August 12, 2002, 11:38 AM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

What am I missing?
Rich
Old August 12, 2002, 01:21 PM   #10
Edward429451

Quote:
Huh. No problem now. I can do 1 paragraph, but not 2. No biggie there.

This kind of, has a problem but can't find a problem type of stuff happens to the newer furnaces frequently. Customer calls with problem, I show up to find no problem. Problem starts again after I leave. Unless it has a problem and demonstrates it right in front of you, theres little you can do...

I call them problems electronic hiccups. TFL may have an intermittent electronic hiccup. (You can't trust anything more mechanical than a knife & fork.)

Thanks all.
Old August 12, 2002, 02:08 PM   #11
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Actually, typically where that "Staff Use" button is there is a "Quote" button as well. That is what you are suppossed to use to quote large blocks of text. The Quote button you see on top of the message window is only meant for one line of text - the button that has been commented out below is meant to quote the entire reply.

For some reason it's just been disabled here.

Kevin
Old August 12, 2002, 02:20 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Rich - Did you paste my post contents between "quote" tags or did you use the quote button which is one of the tools directly above the reply text window and paste the text into that? I suspect the former.

Spark - Please don't suggest bringing back the "reply with quote" feechur.

Edward - Please read my explanation above again. The paragraph from BenW had no line breaks, so it works fine in the quote window.
Old August 12, 2002, 02:38 PM   #13
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Mal-
I posted within quote tags like I always do.

I don't even have a Quote Button. No kidding.
Mac OS X
IE 5.2
Rich
Old August 12, 2002, 02:40 PM   #14
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Doh!
Oh, THAT Quote button!

Youse guys need to stop micromanaging!
Rich
Old August 12, 2002, 02:40 PM   #15
BenW

Quote:
Yup, that's pretty much what I've been doing when I have the urge for a verbose reply.

No big deal and easy enough to do.
Old August 12, 2002, 03:12 PM   #16
Mal H
Staff

That's ok Rich. I didn't know it was there either until the guys above pointed it out. Never used it until today.
Old August 13, 2002, 02:30 PM   #17
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Quote:
Spark - Please don't suggest bringing back the "reply with quote" feechur.
Why not? For those reallllllly long posts, it's a hell of a lot easier to use that than to try to copy and paste text. Not to mention it's formated a lot better. Trying to reply to Skor or Bahudar or others who post reams, while copying and pasting information out of the page itself, then editing out the line feeds, etc is a pain in the ass.

Look, if you don't trust the membership enough to use it right, that's ok. Past that, I don't see why it's not there.

Kevin
Old August 13, 2002, 03:53 PM   #18
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Spark-
It's not a question of not "trusting" the Membership. It's an issue of the abuse factor that we've had with it. I don't like the feature and I removed it. That's why they call it "Open Source", no?
Rich
Old August 13, 2002, 06:46 PM   #19
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Abuse is one thing - heck I've had more than a fair share of people abusing Hotmail.com & Excite.com email addresses - it's just a matter of being on the ball and stopping it when it happens.
I can understand the reasons behind such a decision, I just don't agree with them. But, I've got my own board to run - and this is yours, so I respect your decision not to allow it.

As for open source - this is actually third party software under license, you are just allowed to change the interface. Just nitpicking bud!

Kevin
Old August 13, 2002, 07:08 PM   #20
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
As for open source - this is actually third party software under license, you are just allowed to change the interface. Just nitpicking bud!
Shoulda known I'd loose that argument.
Rich