The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 10, 2018, 04:47 PM   #1
nanney1

Range Report

Newbie on third range visit.

Went to the Range today and started off with my Shield 9mm. I was consistently left and a little low of where I aimed. Though not in the X, I was still on the target. Range Officer gave me a pointer and recommended only using the front tip of my index finger while pulling the trigger. I had been wrapped through a little more and pulling on the crease between the tip or either on the second joint. Did it help? I did improve after trying this out and got a couple in the X. I was at 5-6 yards and always hit the torso of the silhouette. So, from a SD standpoint, it wasn't the worse.

I then switched over to my new S&W 442. And while I hit the silhouette, I was off a little more. Using the tip of my finger was a little harder with the heavier trigger. Had a couple that I wasn't sure where they hit, but at this point there were a lot of holes in the target.

I added some paper plates to my ragged target and started back again with the 442. I could now see that I was both left and high to the left with the 442.

Switched back to the Shield and consistently hit the paper plates over and over again. Firing the 442 made using the Shield much easier.

So, if faced with a SD situation, I should probably fire five rounds from the 442, then pull the Shield and fire once.
Old January 10, 2018, 04:54 PM   #2
stephen426

Consider getting a trigger job and replacing springs to improve your trigger pull. You can also work on hand strength by getting a squeeze ball or other device. You can also practice dry firing. Be sure to check each time that the gun is unloaded and always point it in a safe direction just to be safe.
Old January 10, 2018, 05:24 PM   #3
nanney1

Ran 50 rounds of Remington .38 special 125 grain FMJ and 30 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain +P FTX through the 442. I couldn't detect any difference in recoil between those two.
Old January 11, 2018, 01:50 PM   #4
SauerGrapes

One thing I found for me was, shooting revolvers in DA seemed to help me learn trigger discipline.
You know what? I've never fired any +P ammo. I have some, just never shot any. I guess I should at some point.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 11, 2018, 01:54 PM   #5
SonOfScubaDiver

You're learning firsthand that there's a difference between revolvers and semi-autos. Cool beans! I thought I was becoming a fairly decent shooter until I bought my first revolver. Hehe. I've gotten good enough with the revolvers now that I'm confident with carrying one, but I still have a way to go before I can say that I shoot them as well as I do the semi-autos I own. And yeah, you'll have to figure out how much finger to have on the trigger of every gun you end up getting in order to shoot them accurately. For me, that's part of the fun in owning guns--they all shoot differently. If all goes well, you'll have six or eight of them in no time!
Old January 11, 2018, 02:34 PM   #6
K_Mac

Keep practicing. Mastering a DA revolver trigger takes some time and work. I recommend a lot of dry firing.

Get a roll of tape to cover holes in a used target. It will make life easier.