The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 2, 2008, 10:02 AM   #1
SPUSCG

rifle vs revolver, hd

ive ruled out shotgun, since splash damage may injure who im trying to protect and the bad guy, so im wondering if a rifle, or hangun, will do better
Old May 2, 2008, 10:27 AM   #2
johnnypi45

What are you more comfortable with? I think that's what's really most important. Also, i would consider penetration issues, especially if there are others (family members and such) in the house with you. theboxotruth.com has some really informative penetration tests; however, take them for what they are, and don't base your entire decision on just this information. Additionally, i would take into account what you have (especially if you're not looking to purchase a new HD weapon). For example, if you have a scoped .243 rifle, it probably won't make for the best HD firearm. Whereas if you've already got something like a mil-spec 1911, it would probably work just peachy, as long as it is something you are comfortable with and can shoot well in a variety of situations. Just some things to think about and hope it helps some. Happy shooting.

Petey
Old May 2, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3
SPUSCG

im going to look for a 30-30 or 357 levergun, and whatever pistol i can get, private sale only. im wondering if rifle has any advantages, or disadvantages.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Wuchak

Not sure what you mean by splash damage with the shotty. At across the room distances the shot doesn't spread much at all. With a shot size appropriate for hd your looking at at 3" pattern.

If you are going to barricade yourself in a safe room and keep a gun pointed at the door any rifle with open sights or shotgun will do the job. However neither are really practical to have with you when it comes to answering that unexpected 11:00 knock on the door.

Another big drawback to a rifle or shotgun for HD is navigating the house. Most houses do not provide the space for you to enter rooms with the long gun at the shoulder without having to place the muzzle into the room blindly where it can be grabbed by the intruder. In a confined space a handgun is a much better weapon. With the advantage that it can be easily concealed when answering the door. Grab a yardstick or a short broom handle that is about the length of a rifle or shotgun and have someone else in your family hide in the house and play the burglar. You'll be surprised how easy it is for them to disarm you with a long gun before you can get a shot off. Then try the same drill with a squirt gun pistol.

If you know someone is in the house you should never attempt to clear it yourself no matter what weapon you have. You should get the family into a safe room and behind cover and call the police. Keeping an 18" barreled shotgun in the safe room is a great idea. Having a handgun to use while rounding the family up is also a great idea. If I could only have one I would choose the handgun.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:56 AM   #5
yomama

First, why private sale only? Sounds a bit odd.

Second, both the 30-30 and the .357 would not be advised unless you got your ear plugs in.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:09 AM   #6
DWFan

inside the house defense

A long gun quickly becomes cumbersome when moving thru a house simply because of the doorways. Personally, I'd look at a 4" barrel .357 Magnum revolver using .38 Special loads. The Taurus 608 holds eight rounds and would be very low in recoil when firing .38's due to its size.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:55 AM   #7
David Armstrong

There are advantages and disadvantages to each weapon. It sounds like you need to maybe get some training and/or some education on the subject before committing. Then you can decide which advantages and disadvantages are part of your particular situation. Either will work quite well assuming you know how to work it properly. Neither will be adequate if you don't. I'm very well trained, and I'd take my choice of a long gun over a handgun in my situation. Somebody else with different training or a different situation might be better served otherwise.
Old May 2, 2008, 12:15 PM   #8
ISC

many novices think a shotgun is a weapon that you only need to point in the general direction of your aversary and you'll get an incapacitating hit. he size of the pattern varies with barrel length, choke, and shell type, but at home defense ranges it is completely aimable and capable of surprising precision.
Old May 2, 2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Dismantler

I think that the revolver is the better choice. The .30-30 is too powerful for indoor shooting. The .357 lever action may not be handy enough for shooting from behind concealment. The .357 revolver can handle any ammo from the mildest .38 target load to the most powerful .357 magnum.
Old May 2, 2008, 08:58 PM   #10
Keltyke

A rifle takes two hands and room to use. In a house or apartment, you may not have either. Your weak-side hand may be holding a cell phone or flashlight. Rifle bullets, even the little .22, will penetrate a LOT. A pistol is the obvious choice. Select your caliber and round for penetration that will stop within most body cavities.

In a revolver, I'd pick the venerable .38+p in a 4" barrel. For an auto, my choice would be a 9mm+p in a 4" barrel.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:04 PM   #11
jrothWA

Have you considered...

a M1 Carbine, with stock pouch with thirteen rounds each mag?

Lightly polish the feed ramp and soft-nosed ammo slides nicely into the chamber.
Old May 3, 2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Ruthless4christ

why not...

why not get an m1 carbine? or a beretta storm carbine? they offer alot more control than a handgun but fire a lighter round
Old May 3, 2008, 06:01 PM   #13
bobthewelder

First off, are you even old enough to own a gun? Second, you have 256 posts under your belt on a firearms forum and you don't have a clue about what you would use for home defense? I suggest you go to the local range and rent a shotgun and someone to teach you how to use it. Explain to them that you need a home defense gun and let them take over. Do you live in the city or the sticks? If your answer is city and your looking for a 30-30 your gonna kill your nieghbors at very least. A high powered rifle isn't for home defense, period. A handgun is also a good choice, I keep both a loaded 18" tactical Remington 870 with a light mounted under it on a touch switch and Knoxx Spec Ops stock for fast follow up. It is loaded with Hornaday TAP 00 Buck defense ammo. I also keep a Glock 23 and Surefire 6p for blinding light with the 120 lumen upgrade. It is loaded with 13 rounds of Hornaday TAP 180gr JHP and two back up mags loaded with the same. I also keep a Firestar .45 loaded with 230gr HP. Shot gun is my first choice as I have children in ajoining rooms. I also have motion detectors outside that alert me in my bed when someone is approaching, so I can beat them to the door. As well as a camera at the most common point of entry. Shot guns loaded with the right load will pattern at 3" or less. TAP is specifically made to do this. The .45 is my second choice, slow and big, less overpenetration should I miss. The Glock is my CCW gun, overpen is more than a .45 but less than a 10mm. The Good Old .45 Auto is returning to depts. all over the nation. Many officers are even turning in their plastic for 1911 variants. For you, until you get some experience, buy a can of pepper spray and a hickory axe handle, and keep that cell phone close by.
Old May 5, 2008, 02:57 PM   #14
SPUSCG

i dont care about loudness in an hd situation, i care about staying alive
Old May 5, 2008, 05:57 PM   #15
bobthewelder

I have never considered hearing protection in a home defense situation. I would rather hear what was moving where as I check things out.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:53 PM   #16
Don Lu

id say revolver from the options you gave..BUT, I don't think the "splash affect" is a real concern inside a home..id say a shotgun is better than rifle...
Old May 5, 2008, 07:32 PM   #17
pfch1977

Everyone seems to have an opinion on what would be the best home defense weapon. Get a .45, get a 9 mm, get a .38 revolver, get a rifle...it goes on and on.

First, the best weapon for the job is the one you have. Whatever you have is better then nothing at all whether it be a rifle, six shot revolver or .22.

Second, imagine the circumstances behind the defense situation. Would you be able to manuever a rifle after being awaken at 3am from something crashing through your door? Would you be able to manipulate the controls on a semi-automatic in order to get it to fire while in low light and half-asleep? Set your alarm clock for 3am and put it on a loud buzz. Then see how fast you can move around with a long gun.

Therefore, with that said, I would simply use a revolver for a good bedside weapon. This weapon is a no-brainer and is the best weapon when being awaken in the middle of the night from a deep sleep.

However, I would have other weapons around for different situations. I would have a semi-auto in .45 for when there was more time to prepare. I would have a carbine in .45 or a long rifle when there was even more time to prepare.

I like the .45 because of stopping power. I know that people are going to reply back to this thread stating that shot placement rules, however, when it comes to my life in a close quarters situation then I will gladly trust the .45 over these other calibers. Even if it gives me only a slight advantage, then I'll gladly take that advantage.
Old May 5, 2008, 07:49 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...dont care about loudness..." Hi. Ever shot anything inside without ear defenders? Even a .22 is very loud.
Any centrefire rifle bullet will travel several miles if you miss. You are 100% responsible for where it ends up. Hit anything or anybody, if you miss and you're in for a world of grief.
Old May 11, 2008, 09:41 AM   #19
bobthewelder

So, in the above scenario of something crashing through your door at 3:00 a.m., your going for the muffs before the gun? I think we all realize how loud our firearms are inside, even outside gunfire can damage your hearing. I would rather be able to hear what is going on around me than spend time going for something that could give an upper hand to whoever crashed my door.
Old May 11, 2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Antipasta

You got me thinking about the blast...

Wouldn't a pair of Peltors, or similar electronic muffs be especially good for roaming the house in the middle of the night? I can hear conversations on the other end of the firing line. This sensitivity to low sounds could be very helpful in the dark, AND protect your ears if you have to let it go.
Old May 11, 2008, 12:46 PM   #21
Hook686

It seems to me if I have time to put on muffs, I have time to pick a good defensive spot, hunker down, listen, call 911 if convienced I have a serious problem and wait for LEO to arrive to clear the house. In this situation I think the muffs are a great idea to have on the table.

If I'm awoken by a door, or window being busted in, muffs do not enter the script. I pick up the gun and prepare to protect my life.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old May 11, 2008, 01:26 PM   #22
Firepower!

Neither

I would vote for MP5-SD.

Unless you are living alone a 357 blast will create quite a stir with the noise.

I would use silenced smg with subsonic rounds on the intruder and go back to sleep without waking anyone up.

Will take the garbage out in the morning!
Old May 11, 2008, 02:01 PM   #23
p99guy

* a small note on the MP5-SD, it uses a ported barrel to keep all 9mm its fed at subsonic speeds= 115gr@approx 990fps...same for any 124,135, its fed. Which makes the same round loaded into a regular service 9mm pistol come out of the muzzle with more velocity & energy. Kind of a letdown for all of its cool factor and high cost of a select fire ,civilian transferable one(the cost of a really nice new car) or HK94 semi auto modified to SBR, and then to SD type suppressor(400.00 in tranfer tax alone) and folks seem to want 2,500.00
or so for the HK94 to begin with. Then when you have to shoot someone with it in a HD situation, it gets taken away from you and thrown around by property room folks until all the legal entanglements are over with.

Better off with a little .30M1 Carbine loaded with Corbon DPX ammo, or winchester HP and NOT tampering with the crime scene, Keeping ones mouth from making a case against them when the police arrives, and opting for an attourny before and during police questioning.....a shooting is far from over at the conclusion of the initial confrontation.( you can win the battle, and still lose the war.)
Old May 11, 2008, 03:03 PM   #24
skeeter1

Please don't take offense, but...

Quote:
"im going to look for a 30-30 or 357 levergun, and whatever pistol i can get, private sale only. im wondering if rifle has any advantages, or disadvantages."
You've got a lot more homework to do. Yes, I've got a couple of shotguns, .357 Mag carbine, several .22s, 9mm, but decided on a .38Spl+P for HD. .30-30 would be totally inapproriate, IMHO, unless you're living out in the boondocks. A shotgun would be a lot safer for all concerned. At typical HD range (<10yds) #4 12-guage buckshot in a standard load is plenty. If you've ever shot trap (or hunted, for that matter) you'd know that shotguns do not "spray all over".

Forget the hearing protectors. Yes, I have several pairs of electronic ones, but if someone breaks in, the last thing I'm going to worry about is earmuffs.

Best bet? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 pump shotgun, followed closely by a decent .38/.357 revolver. Forget the .30-30.
Old May 11, 2008, 04:14 PM   #25
Mannlicher

yomama
Quote:
First, why private sale only? Sounds a bit odd.

Second, both the 30-30 and the .357 would not be advised unless you got your ear plugs in.
Private sale makes prefect sense to me. No names, no forms. Just hand over cash, and take delivery.

I try to buy all my guns used, and private sale.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan