The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 28, 2002, 05:23 AM   #1
yankytrash

Front sight assembly removal - AR15

I'm gettin me one of those transitional-period preban Colt Ar's w/ 20" Colt HBAR upper early next week. I've got an SP1 now, with same 20" Colt HBAR upper.

The new gun doesn't have the bayonet lug. To make my babies match, I'd like to replace the front sight assembly to one with the bayo lug.

I'm looking at my SP1's front sight right now. Looks like I remove the compensator, drive the roll pin that holds the gas tube, drive the taper pins that hold the front sight post, and slide whole rig off the front of the barrel. Buy a new sight, making sure the the new one has the sling swivel installed, and install in the reverse procedure.

Questions:
  1. Is there anything I'm missing, or I'm incorrect on?
  2. Is it as simple as I think it's going to be, or am I some kinda jackass for doing this myself? (you can answer that question in two parts, I'm game )
  3. If the new front sight ends up canted (is that possible?), do I just snatch'r with a pair of channel locks and twist?

Thanks all.
Old February 28, 2002, 10:44 AM   #2
Cavè Canem

I think there is some de-welding involved but I could be wrong.

One of the big reasons im not getting a aluminum free-floating foregrip for my AR-15. It has to be installed by a Gun smith b/c of the front site.
Old February 28, 2002, 11:08 AM   #3
Joe Demko

No, you pretty much have it figured out. The only thing is, don't expect it to be easy. The front sight assembly won't just jump off after you get the pins out. You are going to, most likely, have to apply some force to get it off. Such things as a padded vice and the right tools for removing the pins are vital if you want to do this w/o scarring up the gun. Be sure to carefully index the new front sight assembly and take extra care in reinstalling the gas tube, otherwise you can expect reliability problems from the gas tube and the carrier key not matching up.
It isn't rocket science, but it does require some tools and patience. If you enjoy being a do-it-yourself guy, have at it. If not, an experience AR smith can do it for you for a couple bucks.
Good luck
Old February 28, 2002, 12:53 PM   #4
dZ

the pins are set into holes that are drilled into the barrel using the sightbase as a guide

i don't think the new sight base will aline to the holes drilled from the old sight base automatically

i don't think this is a TM 9-1005-319-23&P (Unit and Direct Support Maintenance Manual) procedure

The barrel & FS are considered one assembly in the 23&P

a hex headed set screw mounting system on the sightbase may be less of a headache to install
Old February 28, 2002, 04:31 PM   #5
Watch-Six

You have the process down ok, but you will be very lucky if the pins will go back into the slots in the barrel in the same place with a different sight base. As dZ said above, the holes are drilled to match the sight base and barrel. You could get lucky, but I doubt it. I have never had much trouble getting the old sight to come off. You may have some carbon fouling holding it down. Hand torque or a whack with a soft malet has always worked for me. Watch-Six
Old February 28, 2002, 07:12 PM   #6
yankytrash

Hmmm...

Redrilling sounds scary, but I am what you'd call a "do-it-yourselfer. There's a major AR parts dealer coming to the Richmond gun show I'm working this weekend. Perhaps I'll pick his brain on the subject of drilling.

I don't mind a few scratches, but I sure don't want no holes in the barrel where they ain't supposed to be....
Old February 28, 2002, 09:38 PM   #7
Rocklobster

Consider sticking the assembly in your freezer for a couple hours first-that'll help in persuading the gas block/sight assembly to come off.
Old February 28, 2002, 09:58 PM   #8
Navy joe

Umm, do you need to borrow my USMC tech manual? It's written for Marines, so its got lots of good pictures to help you out.
Old March 1, 2002, 04:18 AM   #9
yankytrash

Quote:
It's written for Marines, so its got lots of good pictures ...
hehhheheeh

Ya man, if you think of it, bring it to the show Sunday so I can flip through it. Won't need to borrow it, but I'd like to see some pictures.

BTW - We still on for the trade? Email or call me.
Old March 1, 2002, 09:17 AM   #10
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
It's written for Marines, so its got lots of good pictures to help you out.
Hey... wait a minute!?!? Well at least the Village People didn't sing a some about the USMC!

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old March 1, 2002, 06:05 PM   #11
yankytrash

Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! BUURRRRRRRNNNNNN!!!
Old March 1, 2002, 07:42 PM   #12
JNewell

IIRC, the taper pins are single-use. The reason this isn't in the -23 is because it isn't considered appropriate below the Division or depot levels. If it's a plinking barrel, go ahead; if it's a serious barrel, I'd let it be.