The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 15, 2020, 09:28 PM   #26
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
Note those 26 and 27 caliber big case magnums have accurate barrel lives in the 600 to 700 round count.
Yep, thars why Shilen makes barrels. Seriously though, 700 is fine for a hunting rifle but definitely impractical for benchrest.

Last edited by reynolds357; February 15, 2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old February 15, 2020, 09:31 PM   #27
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoc42 View Post
Frankenmauser said: "But the only thing that sets it apart from .270 Win is the slightly better ballistic coefficient of the bullets." (compared to 6.5-284)

Isn't that the bottom line in the move to 6.5mm these days? The inherent accuracy of that particular bullet?

So, then, as reynolds357 posts his 6 different 6.5 variations, with his favorite being the one that has the largest case for more powder and velocity, shouldn't that cartridge be THE choice of long range target shooters or hunters simply because it is (I suspect) as accurate as the "slower"6.5's and has a flatter trajectory?
Its accurate, but its not practical for competition. Too much recoil.
Old February 15, 2020, 09:34 PM   #28
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
The only thing I can add is if you're going 270 win--I'd recommend taking a serious look at 270 Weatherby magnum--makes a good thing even better and no real noticeable recoil penalty IMO.
I think the WSM is the ideal 270.
Old February 15, 2020, 10:47 PM   #29
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
I think the WSM is the ideal 270.
This is also my opinion...
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 15, 2020, 11:51 PM   #30
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoc42 View Post
The unattractiveness of the .264 Win Mag was, as I understand it, barrel erosion and poor accuracy, but the latter was attributed to the 1:9 twist that would not stabilize the 140gr bullet. I read an article that a 1:8 twist would improve that accuracy, hence my recommendation to my friend.
My first 1000 yard target rifle was in 264 Win Mag with a 28" 1:10 twist Douglas barrel. It shot 139 grain Norma FMJBT nickel plated match bullets about 3200 fps. Tested about MOA at a thousand. Not bad for an average quality barrel.
Old February 16, 2020, 09:47 AM   #31
cornbush

I have a 6.5prc, it's not magic. So far I really like it but it's not some magic unicorn. I didn't get mine for long range competition, it's a hunting rifle with a 24" sporter weight barrel (Sauer 100 Atecama). It's accurate, I find the perceived recoil to be slightly less than my .270 but not by a large margin. I'm just starting to develop tuned handloads for, but right out of the box it's just fine MOA no problem. I think it's got a small edge on the 270 but not enough to justify replacing a good shooting 270 with a 6.5prc. I like it, plan on keeping it and honestly that's enough for me. Get what you want and shoot it.
Old February 16, 2020, 08:53 PM   #32
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbush View Post
I have a 6.5prc, it's not magic. So far I really like it but it's not some magic unicorn. I didn't get mine for long range competition, it's a hunting rifle with a 24" sporter weight barrel (Sauer 100 Atecama). It's accurate, I find the perceived recoil to be slightly less than my .270 but not by a large margin. I'm just starting to develop tuned handloads for, but right out of the box it's just fine MOA no problem. I think it's got a small edge on the 270 but not enough to justify replacing a good shooting 270 with a 6.5prc. I like it, plan on keeping it and honestly that's enough for me. Get what you want and shoot it.
I have always wanted a Sauer but never bought one because I cant rebarrel them. Some people say they can, but I sure cant.
Old February 16, 2020, 10:01 PM   #33
FrankenMauser

The Sauer 100 has a threaded barrel, unlike some previous designs with press-fit barrels.
Old February 17, 2020, 07:16 PM   #34
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
The Sauer 100 has a threaded barrel, unlike some previous designs with press-fit barrels.
I didnt know that. Thanks for the info.
Old February 17, 2020, 10:21 PM   #35
kilotanker22

I am sure someone has already stated this in this thread, but IMO 400-600 yard shots on game are more about the shooter's ability than the capability of the cartridge.

If conditions were right, I would feel confident enough to take a 400 yard shot with any of my rifles. My 22 lr being the exception. My thing is if you want to shoot 400 yards and be proficient, practice at 500+ yards.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2020, 12:39 PM   #36
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22 View Post
I am sure someone has already stated this in this thread, but IMO 400-600 yard shots on game are more about the shooter's ability than the capability of the cartridge.

If conditions were right, I would feel confident enough to take a 400 yard shot with any of my rifles. My 22 lr being the exception. My thing is if you want to shoot 400 yards and be proficient, practice at 500+ yards.
Range finders have definitely changed the game.
I must still maintain that I like the magnums. I just dont see the bang flops with the 6.5 Creed that I see with the 6.5x300 Wby.
Old February 18, 2020, 01:08 PM   #37
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I must still maintain that I like the magnums. I just dont see the bang flops with the 6.5 Creed that I see with the 6.5x300 Wby.
That's because you're losing them in recoil.
Old February 18, 2020, 02:03 PM   #38
Don Fischer

Quote:

Actually I think the the start of ability begin's at a bit under 300 yds. I've done a bunch of balistic chart's on different cartridges and damn few rifle cartridges can be sighted in for MPBR at a 8" target and keet the bullet within 4" of point of aim at 300 yds. Most come in in the area of about 275 yds max and something like 9" low at 300. There are some cartridges that will make 300+ yds in that guide line but they are darn few and there is no cartridge I found that can do much over 350 and none to 400. When you have to start adjusting for trajectory, the cartridge doesn't matter near as much as the shooter. How many people can look through a scope, any scope, at a deer at 300 yds and tell what 9" is? Not many. Get beyond 400 and how many can really guage the wind and drop of the bullet? Damn few! At somewhere beyond 300 yds it become's about the shooter. If your shooting at a 600yds target and you know to hold over x# inch's, what difference does it make the hold over so long as the shooter knows how to adjust? There's no such thing as a flat shooing cartridge beyond about 350yds and damn few at that range. It's about shooting ability!

Last edited by Don Fischer; February 18, 2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old February 18, 2020, 03:04 PM   #39
cdoc42

Of course, you're right, Don Fischer.

I recall one day there was a 4 ft x 4ft sheet of plywood set as a target holder at 500 yards.
I put an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper at the bottom and set the horizontal cross hair of my 12-power Burris scope with a standard vertical reticle at the top edge of the plywood sheet and fired a 100gr HP out of my .270. The hole in the paper was about 42" low. I put a 9" white balloon in place of the paper, repeated the hold and popped the balloon.

A white tail buck at 500 yards does not have a 4x4 sheet of plywood just behind him. Good luck guessing where to hold on that vertical reticle.

Now I also have a Nikon M-308 scope on my 6.5 Creedmoor with hashmarks and dots all the way out to 800 yards on the vertical reticle. But to repeat that balloon feat I'd have to repeat the plywood/paper shot and match the hashmark or dot at 500 yards. Then do the same thing at 300-400-600 or whatever range I expect to take that shot at a buck who shows up somewhere out there. I really have no interest in doing that but my friend is dedicated ever since he saw a "booner" through his binoculars when he was in the midwest and was convinced he could make that shot if only he knew where to hold that reticle. So.....someday......maybe....
Old February 20, 2020, 12:32 PM   #40
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
That's because you're losing them in recoil.
You will have to explain that to me.
Old February 20, 2020, 12:33 PM   #41
reynolds357

Quote:
This is also my opinion...
Thats why I said "I think". I did not say "it is".
Old February 20, 2020, 01:50 PM   #42
FrankenMauser

Quote:
You will have to explain that to me.
I misread the post and was thinking about it backwards.
By the time I realized my mistake, I had already posted.
So, I just left it and hoped no one would notice.
Old February 20, 2020, 03:21 PM   #43
Jim Watson

A friend took some successful hunters out on his acreage to shoot at targets at ranges known to him but not them. They had all the advantages, steady position, stationary, clearly visible targets. They were all done by 300 meters, most at less.

Another friend's prize elk was from ca 450 yards. He had the leading trick reticle of the day, the Shepherd. I asked him which ring he used for his .300 Win Mag at that range. He said, "I just held the crosshairs over his back and shot until I hit him."
Old February 20, 2020, 04:57 PM   #44
bamaranger

a long way

As has been noted now by several posters, 400-600 yds is quite a poke. I don't know about the OP's "friend", but I wouldn't be confident shooting at any big game animal at such distances.

Rangefinders and optics have changed the game, but what hasn't change is the wind, shooters ability (or lack of it) from field positions, and animal behavior. Shooters without a laser will need to be good at range estimations. Long distance hunting is all the rage these days, but most game is likely killed under 300 yds,and with whitetails, I'd wager under 100.

For anybody considering such long shots, I'd suggest the following. Take a standard white paper plate 9-10" in diameter and staple it to a tomato stake. That is the vitals of your "trophy deer". Find a place you can safely shoot 5-600yds.......and that won't be easy for a lot of us. With your rifle, from field set ups, (say over a pack) without ranging shots or sighters, in a reasonable time frame to simulate hunting conditions, take a shot. I'd bet over 75% of folks trying that will miss, especially if it is not a known distance. A miss laterally due to poor wind read, is a possible gut shot, and a low shot, due to error in ranging, is a possible broken leg. Heck, a lot of folks will miss that shot at half the distance.
Old February 5, 2022, 01:41 AM   #45
NabbUQuick

6.5 PRC vs 264 Win Mag

If a person really wanted to know which caliber is shooting the best at ELR . Then just look at the Results of the competition in King Of The ONE Mile or King Of The 2 MILE. They also see what everyone is shooting of the top 90.
The 6.5 PRC is in the top 10 and Top 20 ranking s a bunch of times. The 264 Win. Mag does not even make the list at all.