The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 5, 2020, 05:57 PM   #1
the45er

Finish must be important! LOL

I just purchased two Sig Sauer P-238's from Bud's. One for me and one for my wife. There were a TON of options to choose from ranging from $441 to $799.99 and as far as I could determine, the only differences were cosmetic; ie. finish differences. I bought two that had and American Flag motif with "STAND" on the slide. Night sights and two mags. $444 each. The $799.99 version did have some engraving on the slide but none of the other 30 different configurations had any engraving. Just different color schemes.

I'm a happy camper to find these so reasonable at Buds, but just don't understand how these prices vary so drastically? Inventory is the most obvious reason. Any other ideas?
Old February 5, 2020, 10:01 PM   #2
RickB

I paid almost $700 for my plain, black P938, but have seen other color/grip combos for less than $500; maybe any that don't move right away are discounted?
Old February 5, 2020, 10:20 PM   #3
Forte S+W

Supply & Demand.

Certain finishes and colors just aren't as popular as others, therefore they sell for less.

I once saw a Kimber Micro 9 with a lite blue frame, tan grips, and a stainless steel slide on sale for $360 LNIB at my LGS.
Old February 6, 2020, 08:59 AM   #4
the45er

While still a valid question, I did learn that the really high priced 238's are all steel while the lower priced ones are allow frame/stainless slide. That would account for a lot of difference in price.
Old February 6, 2020, 11:21 PM   #5
osbornk

Buds prices vary depending on inventory and availability. The price can change daily and can go either way. I have seen very similar guns with a large difference in price.
Old February 7, 2020, 01:30 AM   #6
wild cat mccane

"Stand" version come out high but drop fast.

Nothing quite like buying a "stand" gun from a German company which broke German law (CEO just took a plea deal) and fled to America to act patriotic.

The SAS version of the P939 is the most expensive. I have two. So I feel fine bad mouthing the lame finishes.

Interestingly, Trump really weighed heavy into the Stand issue. And it was just last week he was pretending to conduct the anthem and other weird things.

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/202...duct-the-band/

But again, let's have a German company breaking the law come over here and put Stand on weapons.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; February 7, 2020 at 08:49 AM.