The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 14, 2014, 05:50 PM   #1
P5 Guy

J Stevens Mod 55

I'm not finding much info on this rimfire bolt rifle. Can any TFL members impart some knowledge on me?
Old December 14, 2014, 09:11 PM   #2
RJay

Pictures are a must to insure there is no confusion and everyone is one the same wave length. Stevens used the numerals 55 at least twice, once on the No 55 ladies rifle and another on the Model 55 .22 rifle. I think you have the Model 55 , which is one of Stevens utility rifles, but then again, I really don't know. At least give us a complete description of the rifle.
Old December 15, 2014, 03:51 PM   #3
P5 Guy

Asking for my nephew the rifle is in his possession. He is calling it a single shot bolt action rimfire rifle.
Old December 15, 2014, 08:28 PM   #4
RJay

Well, there isn't really a lot of information available on the Model 55, in fact it is not even listed in several references I have. It exists but no one seems to know about it. Made in 1935, Stevens Buckhorn, only 3500 made that year. It falls into the same class as their utility rifles. Same lines as the Model 54 and 56 Buckhorns. Now, as you know, just because it is scarce does not mean it is gold, However I would think it would bring at least a 20 to 30 percent premium over one of the more common versions. ( maybe more, I'm not a Stevens collector ) I read a comment from a Stevens collector that he has only seen one over the years. Be aware, because it is not listed in the various books, when asked about the Model 55, people will start a dialogue in reference to the Stevens NO 55, the Lady's Rifle, the difference is about 6000 dollars { for the NO# 55 ) Best I can do, perhaps others will have more or more accurate information.
Old December 15, 2014, 08:36 PM   #5
RJay

Double, double, toil and trouble
Old December 16, 2014, 02:12 PM   #6
P5 Guy

Thanks RJay.