The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2020, 08:12 AM   #1
Smokescreens

Better swaging on the Dillon XL 650 or 750

I wanted to have a progressive Style swaging on the Dillon 650 press. however I bought the swage it pro and it left me with mixed results. I seen that Hornady made a progressive style swager for the Lock and Load Auto progressing press but obviously that's going to be for the Hornady press only. So I figured I would try to modify the system what I did was purchased the swaging system for the AP press and made a shellplate that fits the Dillon xl650 now I have the progressive swaging that I wanted while putting all the forces on the press the way the Press was designed for rather than putting all the force on the shellplate. I know there is a thousand different ways that you can swage however I wanted to be able to do larger batches in a shorter amount of time and upgrading to a Dillon Super 1050 RL 1100 or cp2000 are out of the question for me at the moment.

im working on resizing my pictures
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2020-01-17-08-01-282_29.png (237.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2020-01-17-08-01-322_29.png (154.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2020-01-17-08-01-382_29.png (204.2 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Smokescreens; January 17, 2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old January 19, 2020, 05:55 PM   #2
Old 454

How well does that work ?.... can you post a video of that working.

I would be interested in something like as swaying is a PITA
Old January 21, 2020, 09:43 PM   #3
GWS

I have a hard time understanding why a person would want to turn a good progressive into a case prep machine, unless you have an extra one you want to dedicate to that full time. I have two good progressives and I'd rather dedicate one to pistol, and the other to rifle.

Especially now, with Lee making the brand new APP case prep machine for $110. It swages, deprimes, sizes lead bullets, and removes Glock bulges, and feeds the brass or bullets to boot......heck you can even feed it with your 650's case feeder or bullet feeder if you have one. APP stands for Automatic Processing Press.

I haven't bought a Lee press ever.....til December 1, when I pre-ordered this.

This video is the swager setup working:

{Edit: Please read the board policy on posting copyrighted materials.}

Check out the other videos on the page below:
https://leeprecision.com/app-automat...cessing-press/

Starting to ship now....one guy on THR had one arrive from Lee Today. Me? Not yet.

{Edit: Please read the board policy on posting copyrighted materials.}

Last edited by GWS; January 21, 2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old February 13, 2020, 12:40 PM   #4
Smokescreens

old454 here is my short video.
https://youtu.be/6Xu69tlbB40
Old February 13, 2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Smokescreens

i have 3 presses now. two dillon 650's and a rcbs rock chucker. im looking to add a 4th press within the next year. going with either a dillon CP-2000 a dillon RL-1100 or a mark7 progressive. would love the Revolution but i would rather buy a nice car with $12k
Old February 13, 2020, 01:12 PM   #6
Old 454

I watched you video.. very nice.... to the other poster... I all my case prep on my 650's... decap sizing and trimming.... I hate swaying and that looks like a decent system he has set up
Old February 13, 2020, 03:24 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old 454
I hate swaying…
Stay off small boats and away from the bottle!
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 15, 2020, 09:30 AM   #8
sevt_chevelle

Why not go with a dillon super swager? Add a rubber band and you have auto eject, handle the brass only once.

That new Lee press looks interesting especially with my dillon casefeeder hooked up.
Old February 15, 2020, 10:21 AM   #9
Smokescreens

i had one. did not like the super swage. i did not do the rubber band trick but the hornady guys are putting a hose on the stripper die and let the brass just fall in a bin. im working on a case feeding system that will drop one case at a time. that way i only handle the brass to fill the casefeeder
Old February 16, 2020, 05:37 AM   #10
darkgael

When i think of swaging, i think of swaging bullets. These swaging set ups seem to concern swaging primer pockets. Is that correct?
Old February 16, 2020, 08:51 PM   #11
Smokescreens

yes. primer pocket swaging.
Old February 16, 2020, 09:37 PM   #12
Marco Califo

Swaging Primer Pockets is not a progressive press chore

While I am sure it is possible to swage primer pockets on a progressive press, I would NOT want to do case prep there.
To swage primer pockets, and we are only talking about military crimped primers, I do it ONCE, with a countersink drill bit, before I perform any other steps. In particular, tumbling with SS pins, cleaning, polishing and inspection. A Harbor Freight $20 cordless drill will do over 1,000 on one charge, but get a quality countersink bit (HFT's are trash).
When you have prepped, cleaned, sized AND TRIMMED brass you are read for your press. I also prime using an off-press priming tool before loading.
Trying to do all at once with military brass on a progressive press is a recipe for an NFG CF.
Old February 18, 2020, 10:08 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

I've had batches of IMI Match brass in .308 Win and .45 Auto, both of which had primer pockets too tight to load on my Dillon machines without getting high primers. I wound up having to run them all through the swaging tool. Simply chamfering the lip wouldn't have done it, as they were about 0.0004" narrower all the way to the bottom. I don't know if this issue results from rounding error in making the metric conversion from the inch-based dimensions, or if it is an intentional decision to start on the small end of the tolerance range.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle