The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 14, 2020, 03:39 AM   #26
TruthTellers

Just found out about these, apparently they were at SHOT show last month, but this is news to me, so all the media at SHOT dropped the ball not covering this. I mean, this is big news, albeit expected news that Henry was making a side gate lever rifle in revolver calibers.

I'm fine with this, it's a lot better looking than the similar Mossberg lever action that looked like an abortion. The synthetic stock and fore-end are fine, I have a classic Big Boy and I'm scared to death of scratching up the stock, but with this I wouldn't care. The addition of rail for a light is nice.

The threaded barrel is a great feature to have, but I don't care about it. The biggest improvement is the fiber optic sights because traditional sights on lever actions just suck.

Will I buy one? I've had a .45 Colt Rossi on the list for a while now and given I know the action can handle the Ruger only .45 power levels, I'm still going to get that, but for .357/.38? I would rather get the Henry as the barrels are likely more accurate.

With how semi auto guns have become the new machine gun to anti's, it's good to have alternative options for home defense should a ban come down in the future. A lever action rifle is no joke and until somebody starts making pump action centerfire rifles for under a grand, the lever is the way to go.

"We always think there's gonna be more time... then it runs out."
Old February 14, 2020, 04:19 AM   #27
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
Make it too tactical and it will end up getting lever actions lumped into some future ban.
It's a firearm...
It will banned at some point in the future regardless of features/names.
Old February 14, 2020, 11:24 AM   #28
musicmatty

“I would rather get the Henry as the barrels are likely more accurate.”

I have to agree. I recently mounted a scope on my new Henry side gate 30-30. I’ve been overlapping in the bull’s-eye at 100 yards with factory ammo. Needless to say, I think this rifle is ready for deer season at the end of this year.

I’m new to Henry rifle’s and I’m very impressed with the quality of this firearm. Some people scoff at the price but I have to say, at $850 out the door.. I consider this rifle a bargain especially since it’s American made! I should also note that their customer service is equally impressive. Thus far, all inquiries have been responded to almost instantaneously… How nice is that!

Old February 14, 2020, 12:24 PM   #29
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatty View Post
https://youtu.be/eD2NTvrgS4A

A video was just released today on YouTube featuring this rifle. Seems like a great idea to offer a tactical lever action when there are so many restrictions now on many other tactical assault weapons. It’s being offered in the hard-hitting 45–70 government round along with the other calibers listed below in the picture.

It has tied with the tactical Marlin for ugliest firearm of the century.
Old February 16, 2020, 09:14 PM   #30
Rifletom

Some enlightening comments here. I have a Win Mod 94 in 30-30, two Henry's, both Big Boy's with 20" barrels. One .357/.38spl, the other in .45 Colt. Oh, and one Marlin, a 39A. All are very nice indeed with the Henry's having a better fit and finish. All are accurate as they are scoped. I like 'em all. If the "purists" out there don't like Henry's, don't buy them.
It really is that simple. My next lever rifle is going to be a Rossi '92. Hope that doesn't bother any one.