The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 25, 2019, 08:46 AM   #1
nanney1

First match - IDPA

Shot my first match of any kind this weekend. Local range hosts IDPA once per month so I gave it a try. It was fun, inexpensive and took about 4 hours.

I'll probably do it again though I don't see myself becoming a serious competitor. I'll probably try some different style matches as well. My local indoor range has their own competitions and another range hosts GSSF indoor.
Old March 25, 2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Great.
Indoor GSSF is pretty simple but then it doesn't take long, either.
Old March 25, 2019, 10:10 AM   #3
nanney1

GSSF does sound good, but also like a way to keep buying different Glocks. I have a Glock 22 for my nightstand a G43 for carry. I purchased an M&P9 2.0 for matches. I'll use the M&P for IDPA and the competition shoots at my local range. And the two Glocks will be fine for GSSF indoor.
Old March 25, 2019, 12:48 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...do it again..." Because it's fun. Competitive shooting, of any kind, is fun too though.
Old March 31, 2019, 06:47 PM   #5
44caliberkid

Don't worry about being competitive. Everyone is just glad you're there. Fellow shooters are always super helpful, with tips, gear, tools, even loaning you a gun for the day. It also gives you practical experience shooting under pressure, which really pays dividends in a real world situation. My latest pursuit is military high power with my M1 Garand. My first match, our threesome included the best Garand shooter in the state, who was tremendously nice, gracious, and gave me great advice. I've met the best people competing, whether it's guns, or car, or motorcycle racing.