The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 19, 2018, 10:28 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Which .223 bolt for collection

I don't have the luxury to borrow or rent one. Hopefully someone with way more experience can suggest a rifle. Don't have a specific manufacturer in mind. At the moment have a budget between $400-$500, if descent price range. If it can be lower better, if possible. Not planning on using it for hunting yet, at least not the primary use. The plan is to use at the range.

Don't have much in my collection, but would like to start with this caliber.

I have gone to Cabela's site which offers quite a few selection. Not sure where to start. Thank you for the help in advanced.
Old April 20, 2018, 01:31 AM   #2
Damon555

Quote:
I have gone to Cabela's site which offers quite a few selection
You were in the right spot...The 12FV that Cabela's offers is a heck of a deal.....and of course there's a 223 version.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVA...LE/1994604.uts
Old April 20, 2018, 05:50 AM   #3
Tallest

Are there any particular features you’re interested in?

I have a Ruger American Predator, the newer model that takes AR mags, and it is extremely accurate. It won’t win any beauty pageants, it’s certainly more a utility piece. But I would recommend it without hesitation.
Old April 20, 2018, 07:14 AM   #4
fourbore

If you appreciate quality in walnut and blue steel. I highly recommend the cz 527. That is a little above your budget. I assume that budget is just arbitrary limit based on some common choices. If nt then work another week or two and save a few more bucks, better than settling for less. The CZ is worth the wait.

Next is the Tikka T3. That is more modern synthetic gun. Is it a lot better quality than your Ruger/Savage options. Again quality first. The stock has a good feel. Good trigger and excellent sako barrel.

That is two solid choices, CZ for a classic or Tikka for a modern. Both high quality and accurate. You use the word collect. It suggest a little more.

Last edited by fourbore; April 20, 2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old April 20, 2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
If you appreciate quality in walnut and blue steel. I highly recommend the cz 527. That is a little above your budget. I assume that budget is just arbitrary limit based on some common choices. If nt then work another week or two and save a few more bucks, better than settling for less. The CZ is worth the wait.

Next is the Tikka T3. That is more modern synthetic gun. Is it a lot better quality than your Ruger/Savage options. Again quality first. The stock has a good feel. Good trigger and excellent sako barrel.

That is two solid choices, CZ for a classic or Tikka for a modern. Both high quality and accurate. You use the word collect. It suggest a little more.
I would say accuracy/reliability before quality. It seems like you’re equating “quality” to “niceness.” Not to say those things aren’t important, but they are secondary to function. There’s little point to owning a beautiful, $700 - $1000 rifle that shoots 2 MOA when you can get a $400 rifle that shoots 1MOA or less. And that isn’t to say CZs and Tikkas are inaccurate. But it seems less than objective to promote them over other models with proven, reputable accuracy just because they are nicer, especially when they are outside the OP's price range. They won’t serve the purpose any better.

Again, I’m not so pro Ruger that I am unable to see other options. My next rifle may very well be a CZ 557 6.5x55.

"This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have a better plan, but you don't have a universe." - Dr. J.V. McGee
Old April 20, 2018, 09:30 AM   #6
ninosdemente

Damon, thanks for the reply. I did look at the 12FV which had crossed my mind for a 6.5 creed rifle as I was told was great because of the heavy barrel.

Tallest, because I consider myself still at amateur level with anything in firearms, I probably not looking at specific features that perhaps I should and probably why I can't make up my mind in which rifle to get. Well, now that you ask, barrel thickness is a feature that is in my mind. For this caliber does barrel thickness matter a lot? I do know that eventually would like to use it for shooting past 100 yards. Is this the rifle you were referring to this one? https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo....uts?slotId=11

You are right, does look off with that magazine but do like the idea of getting more capacity in one magazine at a time. I have a 30-06 rifle and bought 3 additional magazines to allow me with the flow of removing and inserting a fully loaded magazine without having to shoot, load, insert, shoot and start all over again.

Fourbore, I looked at the cz 527 but it is not in .223. https://www.cabelas.com/product/CZ-C...4.uts?slotId=0
Eventually would like to get other caliber rifles in the future.

I also looked at the Tikka T3, but it is more than what I was planning on spending on a .223 rifle. For that price I wouldn't mind spending on a 6.5 creed rifle first as that would be my primary shooting rifle. Maybe as I mentioned to Tallest, my lack of knowledge is making me underestimate the .223 caliber to some extent.

I thank you all for your input as it does give me something to look more into.

I know this would be more of personal preference, curious on the Remington rifles. Any opinions on these?
Old April 20, 2018, 09:49 AM   #7
ninosdemente

Tallest, you mentioned not necessarily having to own an expensive firearm. This has sure been somewhat of a dilemma for me. I know if I spend a fortune on a rifle, I understand that doesn't translate to me being a way better shooter. I know I have to work if I want to achieve a certain level or simply getting better and better. You said "$400 rifle that shoots 1MOA or less", where can I get one of these? Lol.
Old April 20, 2018, 09:51 AM   #8
Tallest

I would say anytime you're getting a rifle specifically for target shooting, barrel weight matters, even it is a "cooler" caliber like 223. A true sporter will heat up significantly with shot after shoot no matter what round you're putting through it. Varmint weight barrels are good place to begin if you don't want a full heavy bull barrel target rifle. But if you're trying to get your tightest possible groups at 200 yds or farther, you'll want something heavy.

"This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have a better plan, but you don't have a universe." - Dr. J.V. McGee
Old April 20, 2018, 10:18 AM   #9
ninosdemente

So then the 12FV or the Ruger American Predator would be a good starting point? Are these considered varmint weight barrels or heavy barrels? As mentioned, am interested in shooting eventually past 100 so would like to get the tightest groups as possible. Thanks for the reply.
Old April 20, 2018, 10:24 AM   #10
Tallest

Yes, I would say you're in the right category. And thought it pains me to say it, I think the Savage wins. You have 26" barrel on the Savage 12 VF which is 4" longer than the Ruger. That is going to add weight and increase velocity a bit. It's a 1 in 9" twist, which will stabilize bullets up to about 70 grain. So unless you want to shoot heavy, long-range bullets, it'll do what you want really well. Savage makes a great gun for the money, and they are reputedly accurate out of the box.

Old April 20, 2018, 10:51 AM   #11
ninosdemente

You answered my question before I asked and that was about the extra barrel length. Well, I would like to use for long range shooting and for me long range shooting is past 100yds.
Old April 20, 2018, 11:15 AM   #12
Don Fischer

With the quality of firearm's today this is a simple problem. Your not concerned with feature's right now, at least shouldn't be. They are all pretty much alike. They all seem to be very accurate for the most part too. What you need is not a rifle some one recommends but rather one you like to look at and hold. Pretty much they all take the same after market product's. Pick any scope you like and the mounting hardware for what ever rifle you want is available! There really is no power in anyone's opinion's on which make the best firearm's, it's simply a personal thing.

A $2000 Sako will not out shoot a $300 Savage necessarily. They both will pretty much do the same but, one look's lot better doing it! You find a rifle that you like looking at and that feel's good in your hands and you probably have a rifle you'll learn to shoot well. Buy a rifle that you don't like looking at and doesn't feel good and likely you won't shoot it well! Unless your talking about competitive shooting, one will be as good as another if you learn to shoot well with a rifle you like. None of this is to say the messed up rifle doesn't make it the the store now and then.
Old April 20, 2018, 11:51 AM   #13
ninosdemente

You are right, I need to get something that is to my liking. Just wanted to get an idea of what people have or shot with. I just wanted to avoid having to buy and then regret later. Although a very looking nice rifle is tempting but then reality hits when I know it's something I just can't get yet because of pricing. For me a wooden rifle is more of my liking but not all are made in wood. So I did get use to the synthetic feel. Not a big deal as I know one can purchase an after market wood stock.
Old April 20, 2018, 02:04 PM   #14
PlatinumCore16

If you are just getting into a .223 I would also recommend one of the lower priced options: Savage, Ruger American, Mossberg MVP. The Savage accutrigger is as good a factory trigger as you can get before moving on to aftermarket stuff. IF you can find a rifle with a little larger contour, even better. At your place, I would buy in your initial price range/potentially less, and spend whatever other money you might have spent on a very nice rifle, on glass and ammo/range time. And training is always good. But get what you want/like and you'll enjoy it, get better, and eventually realize what you would like to get as far as other options, a la stock, trigger, glass, barrel. Don't attempt to guess what you will end up with because more than likely, you will try several things before you find exactly what you like.
Old April 20, 2018, 04:22 PM   #15
ninosdemente

Thanks platinum for the reply. Perhaps I am just overthinking it.
Old April 20, 2018, 04:30 PM   #16
joed

I was once in your shoes. For the range go with a heavy barrel, I did and do not regret it. When it comes to which rifle to buy pick one up and hold it, you'll find the one you want that way. Work the bolt to see how smooth it is too.

I would also consider Remington, I have quite a few of them and like them. Some complain about QC on Remington but I've never had a bad one even on recent rifles.
Old April 20, 2018, 10:24 PM   #17
ninosdemente

Joed, from the Remington line, which would be considered heavy barreled?
Old April 20, 2018, 11:15 PM   #18
hdwhit

Quote:
ninosdemente wrote:
At the moment have a budget between $400-$500, if descent price range. If it can be lower better, if possible.
I bought a Savage Axis in 223. Took a little bit to get the reloading dies that reloaded for semi-automatics for nearly 40 years adjusted to accommodate the Savage's tighter chamber. Other than that, it has been very accurate and highly satisfactory right out of the box. Savage makes a model with an adjustable trigger and that might be worth the few dollars more.
Old April 21, 2018, 05:25 AM   #19
std7mag

The Dicks (Field and Stream ) version of Cabellas 12 FV is the 12VT. Usually go for around $400.

You could also keep your eyes peeled for a 110FP in the used sections. Picked one up for the wife for $250.
Old April 21, 2018, 05:54 AM   #20
LilHog

How about the new Ruger American Ranch, it pretty much covers all the bases and has everything you need.
https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...ets/26965.html

They also make the same model with a regular mag.
https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...eets/6965.html
Old April 21, 2018, 07:43 AM   #21
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
Joed, from the Remington line, which would be considered heavy barreled?
The SPS Varmint was my choice a couple years ago and I'm sure there are others. It's a good solid platform. I stumbled into a a stainless version at Cabelas on sale for about $410 which I couldn't pass up.

It has been a great rifle for me. Accuracy was not bad out of the box and there are a lot of add ons available for Remington. Not once have I regretted the purchase.
Old April 21, 2018, 10:37 AM   #22
Don Fischer

He mentioned target shooting and hunting, but no right away. Stay away from the heavy barrel. At the beginning your probably not gonna set the world on fire, just shooting for fun and to learn. Down the road you may decide you want to hunt and target shoot, there is no rifle made that is satisfactory for both if you compete! The accuracy rifle with a 24" or 26" barrel just isn't gonna handle all that well in the field, to heavy! The lighter weight sporter simply won't really let you be competitive on a regular basis. But the lighter sporter will shoot groups you won't believe properly tune with handloads! I have several sporter's that will shoot far better than I can. I know that because on a good day I'll get groups around 1/2" at 100yds. I have another in a heavy for hunting rifle that will keep bullet's inside 5" at 500yds' None of those rifles stand a chance in most competition's. One thing I might say in favor of target shooting is that the 223 is a good choice for target's. Long barrel life, accurate and almost no recoil. But for hunting I wouldn't recommend it for anything larger than a coyote!

Zero in on yourself a bit more. Is the result seem to be leaning toward competition or hunting? Toward hunting, I'd get something in maybe 6.5 caliber but not a magnum. And on smaller case's, 308 vrs 30-06, I'd go with a 22" barrel, the 30-06 case with a 24" barrel.

This is a 100yd group with a sporter weight 22" barrel from a bench. Won't win any comptition's but I don't shoot competition. Those square's are 1 x 1"

https://i.imgur.com/vMtcLpZl.jpg?3
Old April 21, 2018, 12:40 PM   #23
RC20

I would go with the Cabella 12FV, 223, 6.5, your choice.

Keep in mind, if you want to upgrade it to a good looking stock, Boyds makes a drop in for the action that is very nice at a low price. I prefer the laminates for stability of target shooting (while many do not realize it, Laminate is a composite and is as stable and more solid than plastic and as good or better than Fiberglass)

Basic stock is under $150. You can add an adjustable cheek riser and or stock extension. That does start to cost though (up past $200) . Some great Laminate color choices.

I have seen the 12FV for $279 with a Cabella sale and Savage Rebate

It also has the quite good acu trigger that you can adjust down to 1.5 lbs.
Old April 21, 2018, 12:46 PM   #24
T. O'Heir

"...plan is to use at the range..." Formal target shooting or just because it's fun?
"...$400-$500..." Including the sights? Remember that a decent scope and mounts will cost a couple hundred.
Look into a Savage package rifle. A 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP(higher end than an Axis and it weighs a pound more. That's good for non-hunting.) with a 3-9x40 Nikon scope is currently on sale at Cabela's for $499.88. They're showing an M700 ADL with no sights at $499.99 with a $100 mail in rebate available.
Old April 22, 2018, 05:35 PM   #25
ninosdemente

Thank you guys for the replies. A lot of information and many options to choose from. I have seen the 12FV really low after the rebate and sale. Wouldn't mind getting that rifle if it ever gets near that pricing again. I do understand that I would have to purchase the scope if rifle does not come with one already, which I don't mind buying one for it either.

Rifle not planning on hunting large game, only small but at the moment I don't have property to go and use the rifle. But if I do get a chance to hunt on property for something small, would use this rifle eventually.

As mentioned primarily for range for target shooting. As I am nowhere near competition level, still have to learn a lot and practice a lot as many will suggest I do first. I do plan on loading my own .223. I get it that one can't get all in one rifle.