The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 19, 2009, 11:28 AM   #26
MLeake

I must be the odd one out...

... but my 870 12ga with slugs doesn't bother my shoulder as much as my 700ADL .30-06 using 180gr does.

I have a Pachmayr slip on recoil pad on the shotgun, and an L3 limbsaver on the 700.

Neither is bad, per se, although after shooting 25-30 rds of .30-06 I'm ready for a break.

(Note on all things relative, 25-30 rds of 180gr .30-06 out of my M-1 Garand is a non-event)
Old July 19, 2009, 02:23 PM   #27
shortwave

MLeake, was thinking the same thing. A few rifles in the safe makes the shotgun seem a bit tame. Course the weight of my two old favorites ( Rem.1100) smoothbore`s helps out considerably with the mear 2 3/4 slugs. I`d rather shoot a case of the slugs over 10 of the full-house 300 Win. mags. Hell, there`s an old single shot 12ga. Ithaca `Buckbuster` in there that`s light as a feather. Makes your teeth rattle with the 3"`ers. Hey hogdogs, watch the strain on your spine shooting like that.
Old July 19, 2009, 06:49 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ya ain't gotta remind me... I never realized that a bad posture position would result in a strain to an already bad spot in my back...
Brent
Old July 19, 2009, 11:31 PM   #29
arizona98tj

Quote:
"Ammunition requirement is 400 Birdshot, 50 Buckshot and 70 Slugs." - http://www.yfainc.com/courses.html , Tactical Shotgun Stage I

That's for 3 days of training, most of the slugs are shot in a couple of sessions in the class. Proper gun fit, good technique, and a good recoil pad are keys to not getting crippled or building in a flinch shooting slugs or any heavy load in a shotgun. .....
x2 without a doubt.

The last 4 day class I attended resulted in 400 rounds of birdshot, 200 rounds of 00 buck, and 75 slugs. I broke in my SuperNova on that trip and loved every round of it. I took the advice from a friend and slipped a Recoil Shield into my gear. I used it on and off throughout the course. By day #4, I was chuckling at my buddies that were black and blue. Since then, my wife has sewn an inside pocket into my vest and I can add or remove the Recoil Shield as necessary. Works great.
Old July 21, 2009, 08:36 PM   #30
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

60 rounds of 00 and 100 slugs used to be a typical shotgun stage at 3 gun.

It didn't take long for folks to start adding stuff to pumps to reduce the damage at the back end.Side saddles can add about 20 oz loaded, a two shot extension and two round adds another 13 oz near the front, where it helps the most for taming muzzle rise.

My gamer 870 runs close to 9.5 lbs.

What kick?....

That's the real reason for the addons, folks, though us Manly Men will never admit it.

A couple things that will help tame the kick so we can get our slug guns zeroed and HUMANELY take game include....

Better fit, techniques and pads.

Fit that shotgun to you preferably using a trained fitter. This isn't real cheap, but it pays.

And those folks with the telescoping AR style stocks get it worse. That style works well on a minuscule kicker like the AR-15/M 16, but it channels too much energy into too little area.

Techniques will include things like really pulling that butt into the "Cup" of your shoulder and leaning well into the shot.

Pulling with your strong hand and pushing a bit with your forward hand as if you're trying to stretch your shotgun will also help a bit.

And adding weight as I did will of course, spread the kick over a longer time. That FEELS softer.

Finally, keep your range sessions short.

HTH....