The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2018, 11:16 AM   #1
bspillman

ATI and Tisas 1911?

I’m looking to add a 1911 in 45 to my collection. I’ve owned Rock Island Armory before and liked them. I can can get a good deal on a ATI GI model. Are these as good as the Rock Islands? Also interested in what y’all have to say about the tisas as well. Thanks.
Old July 15, 2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

ATI 1911s are made in the Philippines by Shooters Arms manufacturing, which is the second-oldest 1911 maker in the Philippines. S.A.M. has been around almost as long as Armscor (Rock Island). The company dates to 1963, and they've been making 1911s since around 1992. IMHO, the S.A.M. guns are every bit as good as Rock Islands. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Old July 15, 2018, 12:54 PM   #3
scoobysnacker

I have a Tisas. It's the base USGI configuration, has a rounded mainspring housing, wide hammer.

Finish is some type of matte black, possibly a duracoat or cerakote type. I've compared with my brother's Colts, and my recent Armscor High Standard... parts are interchangeable.
Mine feeds FMJ and is quite accurate, haven't had any problems with that. Doesn't seem to mind even cheap magazines (Sarco milsurp).
For the $300 I paid, it's a great deal. All I've done thus far is change grips.

One thing to consider, all other bits being equal:
I don't believe there's any warranty coverage on the Tisas, not that I've needed it. Those who bought from Bud's had the option of a $20 'warranty', but I don't know how long it would last, or if they could cover it now.
I have zero knowledge about the SAM guns in regards to warranty.

The Armscor High Standard, I bought used recently. I sent an inquiry about the gun and any coverage to Armscor.
They replied with a brief history (gun was made and sold in 2007) and stated that it is still covered, and will remain so for the life of the gun (so long as it's not altered).

I don't put much emphasis on warranties (I buy used), but if price and quality are equal, warranty coverage might be a deciding factor.
Old July 15, 2018, 06:41 PM   #4
presspics

The ATI is a good gun.. Better than the Rock River without a doubt. I've never seen a Tisas in person so I can't offer an opinion on those.
Old July 15, 2018, 08:12 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspics
Better than the Rock River without a doubt.
Rock River ... or Rock Island?
Old July 16, 2018, 12:32 AM   #6
tallball

My Tisas GI Model 1911 is good. It always goes bang. The trigger is decent. I am limited by the small GI sights, but I chose them. I'm not sure if I've put any hollow-point ammo through it. I've had it four or five years with no problems.
Old July 16, 2018, 12:49 AM   #7
Model12Win

My Rock Island TAC-II 1911 was a mess from day one, why buy another rock bottom Philippine 1911? Sorry, my next 1911 will be a COLT.
Old July 16, 2018, 01:41 PM   #8
dwhite

I've got the Commander size 1911 from ATI. Nice gun. Well made. Accurate. Dependable. Have not run any hollow points through it but it's been 100% with ball and 230gr LRN reloads of my own making.

In all honesty, the first one I got shot about four inches low at seven yards. Seems to be a somewhat common problem with the Commander size model. Contacted ATI, had a shipping label in a few hours. Had a new gun in about seven weeks. Little slow but acceptable.

For $366 I think I got great quality and value. Machining inside is very well done.

Get one.

All the Best,
D. White
Old July 16, 2018, 02:59 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

Firsthand on Tisas . . . really thin finish. Matte finish. Parkerized? If you rely on warranties to get your guns fixed, don't get it. Shoots fine, though. Keep in mind that my sample size is a whopping ONE.