The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2018, 09:14 AM   #51
Carl the Floor Walker

It is my opinion many of the Alumium chassis guns out there are really designed for the 32.cal to begin with a just pushed to the limits to shoot 380. And with that, you get high uncomfortable recoil and snappy shooting and very limited durability.

For a pocket gun in 380. I shoot two that are all stainless steel. barrels and chassis they, shoot extremely mild and last many times longer than any aluminum chassis and they are Plus P rated and will in fact have no problem shooting Hot ammo.
Old July 9, 2018, 08:12 AM   #52
tarhealcracker

I really like my Baretta Pico .380. It fits in any picket I want to carry in and it's DA all the time. So after you have a round in the chamber, if you pull the trigger it fires.

Caution 1: It's a bit hard to rack the slide for weak hands so try before you buy.

Caution 2: Be sure to get 2016 production and later as early production may require factory upgrading. Early production already upgraded will so state on the box.
Old July 9, 2018, 09:01 AM   #53
Fishbed77

deleted

Last edited by Fishbed77; July 9, 2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old July 9, 2018, 12:27 PM   #54
stephen426

Well... I may need to go back to my .32 Tomcat now. Had a spill on my bike and my right arm is out of commission right now. Doing everything with my weak hand is no fun. While I know there are multiple ways to rack the slide with only one hand, the tip-up barrel on the Tomcat may be easier. My other guns are already loaded as well, but now I have a very compelling reason to practice with my weak hand.
Old July 9, 2018, 05:25 PM   #55
M88

My Beretta Tomcat has become my absolute favorite "mouse" gun. It's just built well. It "feels" good in my big hands and exudes quality. A Beretta rep once told me they make very little money on that gun because it costs so much to make. I got one in 32ACP, but compared to my LCP in 380 it's like driving a VW bug and then stepping up to a Mercedes Benz. I looked into that frame cracking issue, and found that first of all, it apparently was only an issue with +P loads, and even then was not as common as reported, but it's a mute point now, as they did strengthen that part of the frame years ago. Another plus is how easy it is to load for those lacking lots of hand strength. You CAN rack it, but because it's so tiny you can't really get much meat on it, so it does take some muscle, but it also has that little thumb activated lever on the side that flips the barrel up to insert a round, and then simply slide a mag in and you're good to go. No need to rack. Alas, yes they are pricey, and sometimes hard to find, but if you're talking EDC for this woman, what price do you put on possibly saving her life one day.
Old July 10, 2018, 02:40 AM   #56
Don Dayacetah

I'm given to understand the Tomcats have a problem with the frame cracking. Passed up
on a nice one the other day on account of this issue.

My favorite 32 cal is the old CZ70. Similar to the PPK.
Old July 10, 2018, 08:17 AM   #57
Carmady

Someone has a theory that the reason for the frame cracking in Tomcats is repeated/accumulated slamming of the slide against an empty chamber. Don't know, but I did read that somewhere.
Old July 11, 2018, 01:50 AM   #58
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
My favorite 32 cal is the old CZ70. Similar to the PPK.
Ready for some heresy? I actually prefer the CZ70 to the PPK. The CZ70 feels better in my hand. The grooved trigger is heavy but workable. While the PPK has its safety switch up on the slide, the CZ70's decocking safety is down on the frame. I think the CZ70 is more attractive too. Sure, you can get shiny versions of the PPK. Has anyone seen a hard-chromed CZ70? I haven't but if anyone has spent the bucks on one of these inexpensive gems, I'd be curious to see it.
Old July 11, 2018, 11:25 AM   #59
ballardw

Requirements before discussion might be in order.
"Purse carry" as originally posted might mean considerably different things to many. Some purses double as overnight bags, others max out at a lipstick and money clip (google "clutch purse" ).

While I like .32ACP and have carried a Kel-tec P32 the cartridge can be a tad expensive to practice enough to be moderately proficient. I might suggest considering on the small 22's where even with the current somewhat inflated prices you can get 250 to 500 rounds for practice at a similar price to 50 rounds of 32 (premium defensive ammo is expensive).
Old July 11, 2018, 01:24 PM   #60
M88

Tomcat frame cracking issue

"I'm given to understand the Tomcats have a problem with the frame cracking. Passed up"

Don as stated in my post right before yours, after looking into the frame cracking issue, I am convinced that not only was this a rare occurrence, but was mostly due to +P loads it was not designed for. THAT said, it's my humble opinion that all modern guns should be able to take a little more than they are designed for, if only for a safety factor. As I understand, most are, and are tested over pressure at the factory. However, as I also understand it, Beretta did fix the issue by strengthening the frame at that one point for all Tomcats manufactured since.