The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 15, 2018, 03:36 PM   #1
stagpanther

bench rest & bags

I usually spend the big bucks on firearms and optics--but have always skimped on bags and rests--generally settling on cheap bags and green clanky rests--eventually they all either fell part or I blew them up with muzzle blast from something just a tad too powerful.

I got tired of patching these things together--and I think investing in good stuff might help my technique some. I'm not a real bench comp guy--so I don't want to spend huge amounts of money--but I'm also sick and tired of unstable junk that falls apart easily.

So I came upon Grizzly and their bald eagle rest, bought one of those, plus ordered a few of their leather bags.

Good,bad, ugly?
Old June 15, 2018, 06:13 PM   #2
old roper

That's tough one to answer. When I started BR we didn't have the Joy Stick or a Farley. If I was in it today, I sure have one. We have couple guy's in gun club shoot F-Class and one has Seb with Joy Stick.

I see used one come up for sale and they seem to hold their price.

Bald Eagle has made good rest and lot used those when I was shooting BR. A 6ppc doesn't have lot of recoil plus we shot free recoil.
NRA Life Member
Old June 15, 2018, 06:36 PM   #3
lefteye

Wow -- Just learned a Joy Stick is $1,800+!!!
Old June 15, 2018, 06:47 PM   #4
stagpanther

front rest is $200 but has a windage adjustment cord. Finding a well made bag is a lot harder than you might think--I hope this one is a good one.
Old June 15, 2018, 07:48 PM   #5
LeverGunFan

Just an FYI for folks looking for a front rest.... Protektor has a new cast aluminum front rest, see it at this link:

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?...roducts_id=375

Looks like an option for the casual target shooter.
Old June 15, 2018, 11:51 PM   #6
stagpanther

I went with cast iron--though the bald eagle can be ordered iron or alum. This is what I ordered: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Tria...st-Iron/BE1153
Old June 16, 2018, 03:27 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Interesting... I didn't know Grizzly made/imported rests.

Otherwise... I prefer corn cob or lead shot filled bags. When necessary, I pull out the Caldwell "Rock" for a front rest.

There isn't much that will mess with a bag full of lead shot - except for the bench under it being garbage.
Old June 16, 2018, 03:56 AM   #8
stagpanther

I think Grizzly makes these themselves--as wells the bags (which you fill yourself).
Old June 16, 2018, 11:35 AM   #9
Don Fischer

I haven't tried lead shot, all my bags, both of them, are filled with fine sand! I make my own bags from legs from old jeans. Mt rest is a very nice 12"x5.5"x5.5", thinking of painting it. I have an inexpensive Cauldwell and it's ok but I prefer my 6x6! Those in the post above in links are really nice looking but, $199? My 6x6 was free! Thinking I'm about ready for new bags and this time I'm gonna put the same in plastic bag's. Also thinking of trying kitty litter and that cob is good idea, never thought of that! If I were a bench rest shooter, I'd spend the money on one of those expensive rest's. Matter of fact, if I had a bunch of expensive rifle's I'd do it. reason being if I can afford that much for rifles and scope's, $199 just is't that much.
Old June 19, 2018, 01:02 PM   #10
stagpanther

Contacted Grizzly to see what the status of the order was since I haven't heard heard from them since last Thursday. Using the receipt I got and order number--they told me they have no record of the order ever having been made! Not good--might have been tricked by a spoof site maybe.
Old June 19, 2018, 03:15 PM   #11
Erno86

I do like Sinclair International at Brownells.

--- George Orwell
Old June 19, 2018, 04:59 PM   #12
stagpanther

I too do like Sinclair--I just heard back from Grizzley that they never received any order from me--even after I sent them a receipt that was generated from their website--supposedly. They however did not charge my card--but that information went out there someplace, was processed and authenticated by someone--so I have to assume I was spoofed and the information is in criminal hands.