The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2018, 06:33 AM   #1
Siggy-06

Sig Suspends Shipping on P365

Sig Sauer has suspended shipping on newly produced P365 pistols. Barrel Peening/mushrooming, broken firing pins, failure to return to battery issues, and night sights that are DOA have all been reported. Sig is issuing free shipping labels to correct any issues.

Seems like more and more gun companies are in such a rush lately, that the consumers are the beta testers.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:10 AM   #2
Lohman446

That is disappointing. It was on my short list to look at as a pocket pistol to replace my P938 (moving towards all striker fired defensive guns)
Old February 14, 2018, 07:12 AM   #3
ritepath

I can't wait to get one of these puppies, but a LCPII, pressure washer, and Duke brain surgery are next in line, (maybe a bass boat) so it's looking like fall before I'll pick up one of these anyway.

That being said....this gun should be an awesome CC, I generally don't have a use for more than my Shield and LCP but this one seems to be making glock people mad, so it's looking more and more like I'll have to get one...eventually.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Siggy-06

More on the issues:
http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-p365-p3.../271490?page=1
Old February 14, 2018, 08:46 AM   #5
BIGR

Hopefully they will get the bugs worked out as one would say.

I still would like to try one after things get worked out or tweaked with them.
Old February 14, 2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Siggy-06

I'm sure they will. After the issues with the P320, I'm a bit surprised this one is having issues. You'd think they'd smooth production flaws out by now.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:14 AM   #7
TunnelRat

Sig Suspends Shipping on P365

Let me find my surprised face, ah here it is . It’s almost like the industry should stop calling firearms “game changers” until they’ve been out enough to show initial quality reports .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 14, 2018, 11:15 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
Seems like more and more gun companies are in such a rush lately, that the consumers are the beta testers.
Fixed that for you.
Old February 14, 2018, 01:10 PM   #9
brian33x51

Siggy you are being way too nice. SIG marketing thinks their users are idiots and are blaming the recall on people's inability to hold the pistol properly while firing. They're using this excuse to cover up those real issues of peening, mushrooming, failure to lock back on last round, etc.
Old February 14, 2018, 01:18 PM   #10
Lohman446

How many of these are in the wild? I mean the pistol itself is pretty "isolated" so for there already to be multiple "isolated" issues does not speak highly of how things are going.
Old February 14, 2018, 01:21 PM   #11
TunnelRat

What I don't get is that given the PR mess that was the P320 recall, wouldn't you as SIG make damn sure that this pistol was as close to perfect as possible before release? No product line is every completely perfect and lemons of course happen, but in reading some reports there and elsewhere I'm seeing repeated issues that suggest a potentially systemic problem with manufacturing of this pistol. I believe SIG probably can figure this out and make the pistol function fine, but really, after all that happened last year to still be making these missteps is crazy.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 14, 2018, 01:37 PM   #12
amd6547

It was said that this Sig makes "Glock guys mad"...
Well, I'm a glock guy...and Sig makes me laugh.
Old February 14, 2018, 01:43 PM   #13
Lohman446

Quote:
What I don't get is that given the PR mess that was the P320 recall, wouldn't you as SIG make damn sure that this pistol was as close to perfect as possible before release?
I would have thought so. There was a point in my life that I can remember when SIG was talked about with reverence and in the high end of mass production pistols. It seems SIG has accepted adjusting price point to get more market share and is really risking that reputation. Maybe I am reading it incorrectly here but if I'm comparing two guns somewhat close to price of each other it used to be I accepted a SIG would cost more and would simply be better. Now I'm not convinced of the later.

Its a shame. Still hope they get the kinks worked out of this though because I am interested in what it is. The problems don't seem related to the "groundbreaking" stack and a half magazine the pistol is designed around.
Old February 14, 2018, 01:47 PM   #14
TunnelRat

My only question with that magazine is that size limitations are what they are. The pistol really is no bigger than a Glock 43. Now the magazine seems to be the same height as a G26 magazine (although thinner) so I don't think they would have reduced the number of coils dramatically, but I do wonder about the longterm spring life for those magazine spring. Seems like a lot to ask. It may well be fine, but instances like this don't exactly inspire confidence.
Old February 14, 2018, 01:51 PM   #15
Lohman446

Quote:
It may well be fine, but instances like this don't exactly inspire confidence.
I had personally written off magazine spring life as being an acceptable problem - I figured I would have to change them out fairly often. I had still determined i wanted to hold one and likely buy one in the next couple month (trading off a P938 in the process). I am thinking I may have to wait a bit longer now
Old February 14, 2018, 02:07 PM   #16
lifesizepotato

It's so frustrating. Eventually, SIG's well of credibility from their P22x legacy is going to be tapped dry and they'll just be seen as an American Taurus.
Old February 14, 2018, 03:29 PM   #17
Wheel-Gunner

Total disappointment!!

I was, and still am, excited about this pistol. I guess I’ll need to wait a while for Sig to work out the bugs. No doubt about it though, after the troubles with the p320 this isn’t exactly encouraging.

I am now highly skeptical of this new p365, but ultimately I really want it to work.

Please keep this thread posted with any new developments.
Old February 14, 2018, 03:52 PM   #18
Groundhog34

My experience with Sigs made in the U.S. has been abyssal. A 220? one of the first made in N.H. was so bad Sig bought it back without my asking when i sent it in for repair. I later tried a P320 it was returned a least twice for repair. I sold it with disclosure at a loss. Sorry Sig I'll stick with Walther PPS, S&W shield and Glock 43. Sig is on the road Remington took.
Revelation 13:11
Old February 14, 2018, 05:56 PM   #19
Fishbed77

Quote:
I would have thought so. There was a point in my life that I can remember when SIG was talked about with reverence and in the high end of mass production pistols. It seems SIG has accepted adjusting price point to get more market share and is really risking that reputation.
SIG certainly isn't the only one doing this.

Take a look at how Walther (Umarex) is constructing the barrel & slide of the new PPQsc. Yikes.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...al-photos.html
Old February 14, 2018, 07:05 PM   #20
xandi

It’s happening with everything, phones, clothes, computers, appliances and noticeably guns
Things that should last almost forever are made cheaper so you have to buy a new one one a few years. “Cartridge A is crap you need the new cartridge B( even though is the same ballisticlly as an older cartridge” and “you have gun C, what a pos, you need the new gun D
Old February 14, 2018, 07:13 PM   #21
TunnelRat

It's not completely the fault of manufacturers. The percentage of people that will pay the extra for a longer lasting product is smaller than you think. We have Ruger, for example, discontinuing some more expensive models in lieu of models they can sell for close to $200 because for many people that's all they are willing to spend. Heck even the 365 is likely to have a notably higher street price than some of the other micro pistols out there, and fortunately for SIG they have the capacity argument to try and rationalize that added cost. People want the newest product as fast and as cheap as possible. The reality is if SIG had kept with their low volume model model of the past they likely would have gone out of business by now.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:52 PM   #22
Lexspeed

The world is full of lemmings that rush out to buy the latest model, highly promoted gun. As for me I am perfectly content to wait for revised 3.0 ( or whatever) model that evolves over the next few years. I skip the "public beta test" versions, thank you very much.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:14 PM   #23
rickmelear

Not sure on the 365 but I have a safe full of Sigs and never had a bad one. Both German and American, YMMV
Old February 15, 2018, 03:25 AM   #24
hemiram

I have two US made Sigs, both older ones about 20 years old and I don't see where they could be improved, build quality wise. I don't really care about striker guns much at all. I have 4 of them, but I greatly prefer my metal framed, hammer fired guns over a striker. If I was to buy a Sig polymer DAO gun, it would probably be a used P250 or P320, and test with a lot of ammo to make sure it had no issues.
Old February 15, 2018, 04:11 PM   #25
armabill

I'm not parting with my Sig. 245.